Puzzle Re: Double-Entry Tourist Visa And Re-Entry Permit

Friends,

Thank you for this excellent forum -- I'd be lost without it...

That said, here is my current puzzle, which I hope will clear up a few misconceptions about visas and reentry permits for other newbies:

I have a DOUBLE-ENTRY TOURIST VISA, issued on 21 December 2011. My first stamp was on 11 Jan 2012. It expires on 10 March. Because of my own misunderstanding, I got a re-entry permit (with the FALSE conception that it added dates), which of course also expires on 10 March. I had the intention of re-entering Thailand on 10 March and staying until 5 April on the "remainder" of my original 60 day stamp. Whoops.

My major concern is preserving my 2nd 60-day stamp, as I MUST TRAVEL OUT OF THAILAND FROM 5 April to 19 June. My intention is to use the 2nd 60-day stamp on 19 June which will carry me just to the end of my stay.

Adding to the puzzle, I MUST BE in Thailand from 25 March-5 April.

So, I've got this 11 day window, which will be past my (essentially worthless?) re-entry permit, but I don't want to waste a 60-day stamp on that small window.

This begs the following questions:

1. Can I simply grab a 30-day extension of stay in Phenom Penh, DESPITE HAVING ALREADY GOT A RE-ENTRY PERMIT, and enter Thailand on 9 March (before re-entry permit expires on initial stay) and stay until 5 April? Will my 2nd 60-day stamp be preserved for 19 June?

2. Is there any way to get a 15-day stamp (the typical one issued at land crossings) WITHOUT (or prior to) using the 2nd 60-day stamp? If so, this is the preferable option, as it will be free as opposed to purchasing the 30-day extension mentioned above. I could simply enter Thailand on 23 March, get the 15-day stamp and stay until my (personally required) 5 April, and use the 60-day in June as planned.

I hope I am clear on this convoluted issue. Thank you deeply for your consideration and experience!!

If you already have a re-entry permit, use it to enter prior to 10 March. Hotfoot it to an immigration office on or before the 10th and get a 30 day extension.

That will cover you until you leave early April.

The second TV entry will then be available when you return, It can also be extended for 30 days at an immigration office.

Thank you for the info, folks! In re-evaluating, I have realized that the most cost-effective approach would be to NOT re-enter Thailand and pay for a 1900 Baht extension of stay. Instead, I will return on 25 March as planned and see if they will grant me a 15-day visa at the border and save my 2nd 60 day stamp. If they do not, I will just use my 2nd 60 day stamp, then apply for another when I need it on 20 June....will only cost 100 Baht and leave less to worry about...

Lesson learned on re-entry permits. Thank you.