Crackdown on ED visas coming up ?

Let's not speculate and wait for official announcements / facts. This is just unwanted scaremongering. Of course if your friend has facts, please share?

IT will never happen'' THEIRS TO MUCH MONEY UNDER THE TABLE INVOLVED"' I been on an ED visa for two years without going to one class doing it threw an agent, It is buying a visa and the stamp is real as they give you receipts from immigration so like it or not Immigration is making a lot of money issuing these visas threw visa agents as you can go to any visa agent in any corner in Pattaya and they all advertise ED visa no class needed for 30-50,000bht depending on the agent Now do you think immigration doesn't know about these visa agents...Hmmmmmmmm

It's posts like yours that are read by you know who that will bury you............coffee1.gif

Probably you're right. It would be easy to crack down these visa agencies since they advertise on newspapers, internet and even TV spots. There are other offers like; get visa without to leave Thailand. These agencies offers medical visas. But as we know...TiT.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we'll have an official announcement so I can start packing for a good reason... violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

You can start packing. I was same like you on ED for some years. It's all over now. Was at immigration today, all the rules changed. They want to see pictures and more pictures and more pictures from your home, your school, you in the school, i had a bunch of pics and paperwork with me - no chance. They try everything to kick us out of here, and i have to admit they are now successfull. I go now and spent the 100.000 Baht i left here every month now in another asian country. Their are many asian countrys where western foreigners are very welcome. We can get visa everywhere in the world were they count on our euros and dollars. In Thailand it is over, something changed dramaticly in the recent weeks and i cannot see the land of smile anymore.

The land of smile becomes the land of xenophobia. If they really believe we westeners are here for taking the thaipeoples jobs away, if they really thinking any westener wants to work in a country where the average salary is lower than the social welfare in his homecountry, than let them thinking what they want and let the time tell them the truth. I guess the things will become nasty soon... No Visas, no farangs, no farangs, no good business anymore, no good business, no money, no money = no smile anymore when the borrow has to be paid back but daddy and mum are unable to do so and the livingstandard drops...

Looking forward what Bali, the Philipines, Vietnam or Malaysia have to offer. The Visas give me the feeling that i'm welcome their, in Thailand i'm not welcome anymore. Good Bye LOS.

Sorry to hear that you are leaving. However, as you had all the necessary pictures and paperwork, that means you are a genuine student and should not have had a problem with renewing your ED visa, so why are you deciding to leave?

Additionally, you are spending about Thb 1.2 million every year for the past few years so you are obviously not short of funds - why not consider the TE card?

I hope we'll have an official announcement so I can start packing for a good reason... violin.gif

You can start packing. I was same like you on ED for some years. It's all over now. Was at immigration today, all the rules changed. They want to see pictures and more pictures and more pictures from your home, your school, you in the school, i had a bunch of pics and paperwork with me - no chance. They try everything to kick us out of here, and i have to admit they are now successfull. I go now and spent the 100.000 Baht i left here every month now in another asian country. Their are many asian countrys where western foreigners are very welcome. We can get visa everywhere in the world were they count on our euros and dollars. In Thailand it is over, something changed dramaticly in the recent weeks and i cannot see the land of smile anymore.

The land of smile becomes the land of xenophobia. If they really believe we westeners are here for taking the thaipeoples jobs away, if they really thinking any westener wants to work in a country where the average salary is lower than the social welfare in his homecountry, than let them thinking what they want and let the time tell them the truth. I guess the things will become nasty soon... No Visas, no farangs, no farangs, no good business anymore, no good business, no money, no money = no smile anymore when the borrow has to be paid back but daddy and mum are unable to do so and the livingstandard drops...

Looking forward what Bali, the Philipines, Vietnam or Malaysia have to offer. The Visas give me the feeling that i'm welcome their, in Thailand i'm not welcome anymore. Good Bye LOS.

Where's the problem if you were genuinely studying?

• Like 1

I don't actually think most retirees on 800K plan actually spend that much annually per person.

Very difficult to say:

- There are retirees who live alone in a small apart of a Soi Buakhao guesthouse and who probably don't have half of 800k to spend by year;

- There are retirees who are married, have wife & children live in a nice house, have a car (or 2), go play golf & eat nice restaurant,... and spend easily 200k/month;

How much is the average? I don't know, but 800k is only 67k/month...

Many retired expats own condos, so no rent.

It it difficult to say.

I am saying.

In my opinion the majority of retired expats don't actually spend that much annually.

wHAT YOU SPEND AND WHAT YOU HAVE IS DIFFERENT.What if someone does not have private health, they need money to pay for hospital fees,aND unexpected things too.

Let's not speculate and wait for official announcements / facts. This is just unwanted scaremongering. Of course if your friend has facts, please share?

IT will never happen'' THEIRS TO MUCH MONEY UNDER THE TABLE INVOLVED"' I been on an ED visa for two years without going to one class doing it threw an agent, It is buying a visa and the stamp is real as they give you receipts from immigration so like it or not Immigration is making a lot of money issuing these visas threw visa agents as you can go to any visa agent in any corner in Pattaya and they all advertise ED visa no class needed for 30-50,000bht depending on the agent Now do you think immigration doesn't know about these visa agents...Hmmmmmmmm

It will be interesting to see if you're right. The Pattaya visa agents appear to be still saying they can do it.

Normally you right, but since a few weeks, nothing is normal anymore. Nothing what works for years function anymore.

So you endorse corruption and abuse of immigration laws? Interesting. jerk.gif

Just been through this process with my final extension (4 months).

Arrived at immigration and was told to return some days later once the school had been inspected (it is a legitimate school). Attendance records were checked, the school had to supply a photo of me in the classroom and as part of the application process I had to bring two photographs of my house and a hand drawn map. I was asked no questions in Thai and apparently this is now mandatory and happening at all language schools.

I will be returning on a business visa. The ED visa is really not suitable for me any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

A hand-drawn map??!! Of WHAT??

Sorry but I think this is borrocks.

Next we'll have people saying immigration insisted they recited the Thai national anthem

I hope we'll have an official announcement so I can start packing for a good reason... violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Sorry to hear that you are leaving. However, as you had all the necessary pictures and paperwork, that means you are a genuine student and should not have had a problem with renewing your ED visa, so why are you deciding to leave?

Additionally, you are spending about Thb 1.2 million every year for the past few years so you are obviously not short of funds - why not consider the TE card?

I was now a genuine student, but this don't helps anymore in these times...They not want us cause they think everybody who stays here longer than a few weeks is working illegally. So they crack down every options to stay longer.

I heard about this TE Card, but i not consider to stay any longer in such a xenophobia country on the edge to some serious problems - and of course i would not support this strange new behavior with 1,2m Baht just for visa. I spent 1,2m baht for my living, not for visa, no way. In other countrys in asia they offer me long stay visa for much less.

Normally you right, but since a few weeks, nothing is normal anymore. Nothing what works for years function anymore.

It's a matter of fact that this function before - even i not used it. But now nothing function anymore, doesn't matter which way you choose.

Well the part with pictures on you in your home,outside your home and in classroom is not new,I did that 2 years ago when i started and last year also when it was time to renew so at least my school doing/done that for a couple of years so no issue.You say no chance?They did not give you a extension?I got mine same as always and no issue at all 2 weeks ago but things change quick now.Stiil I do agree with a lot of what you write in your post and I also in planning to move if it get even worse and Iam afraid it will be.Anyway good luck to you on your travels

It's a matter of fact that this function before - even i not used it. But now nothing function anymore, doesn't matter which way you choose.

It seems to me that the laws are actually functioning.

• Like 1

Arrived at immigration and was told to return some days later once the school had been inspected (it is a legitimate school). Attendance records were checked, the school had to supply a photo of me in the classroom and as part of the application process I had to bring two photographs of my house and a hand drawn map. I was asked no questions in Thai and apparently this is now mandatory and happening at all language schools.

I will be returning on a business visa. The ED visa is really not suitable for me any longer.

Next we'll have people saying immigration insisted they recited the Thai national anthem

Obviously a map of where the photographed house is located. They wouldn't accept a printout from Google maps. Strange indeed.

I don't actually think most retirees on 800K plan actually spend that much annually per person.

Very difficult to say:

- There are retirees who live alone in a small apart of a Soi Buakhao guesthouse and who probably don't have half of 800k to spend by year;

- There are retirees who are married, have wife & children live in a nice house, have a car (or 2), go play golf & eat nice restaurant,... and spend easily 200k/month;

How much is the average? I don't know, but 800k is only 67k/month...

Many retired expats own condos, so no rent.

It it difficult to say.

I am saying.

In my opinion the majority of retired expats don't actually spend that much annually.

wHAT YOU SPEND AND WHAT YOU HAVE IS DIFFERENT.What if someone does not have private health, they need money to pay for hospital fees,aND unexpected things too.

From what I understand (and I may be wrong), there is currently no Thai immigration LAW that states you need to show one baht spent out of the money put aside for annual renewal (retirement).

I've often wondered if immigration think about how you live, but I guess they have their job, their rules and provided you meet the financial requirements on renewal with correct paperwork, everything else has sod all to do with them.

Some people say they have been asked to see any other passbooks, but I haven't, ever.

I take them with me just in case, but never offer them.

I plan my first Visa Application ED in September in Laos.

You scare me everyone with this discussion.

Can we combine the worrying facts and the almost official statements (W. .. School owner discussions...) and forget the scaremongering speculation ?

What do we have official or evidential to worry about in practice?

Seriously it has to be a hand drawn map. I made an image from google earth with the route from immigration to my house with distances from turn to turn and that was not acceptable. It had to be hand drawn.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I was now a genuine student, but this don't helps anymore in these times...They not want us cause they think everybody who stays here longer than a few weeks is working illegally. So they crack down every options to stay longer.

I heard about this TE Card, but i not consider to stay any longer in such a xenophobia country on the edge to some serious problems - and of course i would not support this strange new behavior with 1,2m Baht just for visa. I spent 1,2m baht for my living, not for visa, no way. In other countrys in asia they offer me long stay visa for much less.

I am in the same situation as you.

Many here suggest the TE card but its unthinkable to me because:

1. It is still illegal to "work" while here with TE card. By "work" I mean work remotely with my business in my country. So im breaking Thai law when I bring in already taxed funds to spend in Thailand. I would feel very stupid to pay 500 000 bath and committing a crime.

2. I can afford to pay 500 000 but it still relatively a lot of money. Most people in my country (western Europe) have to work for a couple years to save this amount of money. Also the thought of giving away this amount of money to be allowed to stay here and spend my money would also make me feel stupid.I would rather give 500 000 bath to the red cross.

As Thai Immigration likely do read some of the drivel on here, it's posts like yours which bring attention to the fact that ED visas are being widely abused. I suspect the application process is going to become a whole lot harder in the coming months, as it should.

There is a tidy up, and the old Way is not the new way.

1. It is still illegal to "work" while here with TE card. By "work" I mean work remotely with my business in my country. So im breaking Thai law when I bring in already taxed funds to spend in Thailand. I would feel very stupid to pay 500 000 bath and committing a crime.

2. I can afford to pay 500 000 but it still relatively a lot of money. Most people in my country (western Europe) have to work for a couple years to save this amount of money. Also the thought of giving away this amount of money to be allowed to stay here and spend my money would also make me feel stupid.I would rather give 500 000 bath to the red cross.

Hugolars, working remotely with your business in your country is legal with Visa ED ?

Everyone, what is a TE card ? o.O

Seriously it has to be a hand drawn map. I made an image from google earth with the route from immigration to my house with distances from turn to turn and that was not acceptable. It had to be hand drawn.

I think he's right about the hand drawn map. I'm going to trace it off the printed google map, so it's then drawn. But I still don't know what size scale it has to be. The street? Or half the city? (For extension based on marriage, not ED BTW)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hugolars, working remotely with your business in your country is legal with Visa ED ?

Everyone, what is a TE card ? o.O

I'm no veteran at issue but what I have learned that you are not allowed to do any kind of work without work permit visa.

TE=Thailand Elite card. 500k for 5 year visa.

I think he's right about the hand drawn map. I'm going to trace it off the printed google map, so it's then drawn. But I still don't know what size scale it has to be. The street? Or half the city? (For extension based on marriage, not ED BTW)

Don't do that. Draw your map in the same simple style that immigration offices draw maps for their own locations:

• Location of your house with roads leading to it from nearest major road.
  • Only straight lines for all roads.
  • Show only major roads.
  • Distinctive landmarks at intersections.
  • Distances not to scale.

The following is an example of an immigration map. I was looking for an even simpler map of an upcountry office, but can't find it at the moment.

map1.jpg

In pattaya is no problem.. today. Yes need 2 picture 1 whit the teacher and one outside the home.. how hard can that be???.. I know several people that use ED Visa. . easy visa to use if you need

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Time will tell.

As it stands now people are actually paying money to learn the Thai language and culture which would be consistent with trying to promote the language and culture. Or at least trying to slow it's probable longterm extinction.

On the one hand they can cut down language visa's but longterm that will decrease the number and quality of non Thai users of the Thai language.

The next most logical retarded move would be to try to charge people for using the Thai language or prohibit it's use without a permit etc.

Thailand is Thailand's worst enemy.

Hmmm... CobraSnakeNecktie, I think you right.

In the same way, they don't want kill the tourism in Thailand, they probably don't want kill the people interesting by the Thaï language and culture. Promote their language is so beneficial for their country, worldwide ! Even to find a (legal) job or found a business in Thailand (later, after learning thaï).

I had an ED visa & attended a legitimate Thai language school up until 15 months ago, when I decided to switch over to tourist visas. I just recently made an inquiry from the school about getting the paperwork to apply for a new ED visa, and the only difference I was told about is that now the Thai embassies in Laos require some sort of letter from the Ministry of Education, and that getting such a letter will take 4 to 6 weeks, if not longer. (Which in effect puts me out of the running for an ED visa as my next visa).

So, at least at the moment, it seems like the change is you need to start the process to get the relevant paperwork a couple months before you'll be applying for an ED visa.

But I was not told anything about submitting maps, photos of myself, or anything else like that -- though who knows, maybe they would've given me instructions about that had I actually gone ahead and initiated the process to get the MOE letter.

I had an ED visa & attended a legitimate Thai language school up until 15 months ago, when I decided to switch over to tourist visas. I just recently made an inquiry from the school about getting the paperwork to apply for a new ED visa, and the only difference I was told about is that now the Thai embassies in Laos require some sort of letter from the Ministry of Education, and that getting such a letter will take 4 to 6 weeks, if not longer. (Which in effect puts me out of the running for an ED visa as my next visa).

So, at least at the moment, it seems like the change is you need to start the process to get the relevant paperwork a couple months before you'll be applying for an ED visa.

But I was not told anything about submitting maps, photos of myself, or anything else like that -- though who knows, maybe they would've given me instructions about that had I actually gone ahead and initiated the process to get the MOE letter.

I was told by a school in Pattaya that it would take 10 days to get the paperwork together, including the letter from the Ministry.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

I am a student at my university in Denmark. I get (grant & loan) 48,000 baht per month paid into my Danish bank account. I am spending my Danish money in Thailand = good for the Thai economy.

Now Thailand wants to kick me out. Fine. Up to Thailand. It loses on this, naturally. The point of it? I really do not know, maybe some kind of superiority complex or xenophobia.

I go home or to Vietnam, Malaysia, Southern China or whatever.

Wish you all the best, Thailand.