Any good offroad / road motorbike to buy?

isnt 250 too little? KLX I guess is not very fast right?

you guesses right as it is a light trail/enduro bike so it does not need to be fast.

not many choice in Thailand. maybe if you can modify a honda cb500x,, you migh tget close to a KTM and BMW but still far away.

Apart from the already mentioned models in the above posts, which are all good bikes,

there is also the BMW F800 GS at 440,000 baht, assembled in Thailand.

and the V-Strom 650, made in Japan, sold at 350,000

You want the lightest bike possible if you plan to do any off road.

You will drop the bike guaranteed so imagine picking up a GS a few times a day.

You will want a KLX250 or KTM or some other light dirt bike.

I think a CRF will overheat off road since it has 1 radiator but I have no experience with that bike.

I burnt out my DTX250 clutch on the top of a mountain, I had to push it out of the jungle 1 kilometer and thought I was going to die.

Try doing that with a heavy bike.

• Like 2

Try and borrow or test ride a KLX or CRF 250 - they are spritely enough on road and easily enough power for off road. You are not going to win any MX races on one - but it will be fast enough for real world conditions.

I've not seen any reports of the CRF overheating due to only have one radiator vs the two on the KLX. I think the clutch is the weak point on the Honda for off-road use and it may need upgrading. Generally the Kawasaki brigade criticize the Honda and visa versa - but they are so close in performance and ability you can just choose on looks. To my eyes the Honda looks more modern and complete than the slightly older design of the KLX - but that's just personal choice.

An after-market exhaust can add a little more power - but if the 250's don't not have enough power for you - then you are really in a different league for cost and weight when looking at the bigger bikes. You also need to consider the impact of heat on yourself - manhandling a 650 off-road wearing MX protection and a helmet will work up a bit of a sweat!

Just my view - but with Thai road conditions and real-world off-road conditions I think only Dakar veterans are going to get value for money from the big investment needed for a more powerful bike.

• Like 1

The Kawasaki KLX is a perfect bike for town and light / medium off road. It will do 125 / 130 KPH on standard gearing - how fast do you want to go. Any faster and your looking at a KTM , for 400,000 Baht+. Several people have expressed concern at the Honda only having one radiator , and it is a worry , as off road the engine will get VERY hot , but when these engines fail (and they do) its the clutch / gearbox area , or the cylinder head valves / cam chain areas that seem to let go. The Kawasaki KLX design has been perfected and fine tuned over the years (its still a dual sport bike - not a race bike) and it is much more capable than the Honda , whose suspension cannot be adjusted at all (this is most important when riding off road). The Honda is also a lot heavier than the KLX and comes with less off road features. If using JUST on road the choice is a little closer , between the Kawasaki D-Tracker and the Honda CRF M.

Yes I am sick of scooters anyway, I would say scooters are very dangerous because of small wheel size, I will maybe try with KLX, thanks for the tip.....

My dream bike is of course Harley, but who wants to overpay the bike because of income tax and pay like 800000 for 10 years old motorbike, crazy

• Like 1

The Kawasaki KLX is a perfect bike for town and light / medium off road. It will do 125 / 130 KPH on standard gearing - how fast do you want to go. Any faster and your looking at a KTM , for 400,000 Baht+. Several people have expressed concern at the Honda only having one radiator , and it is a worry , as off road the engine will get VERY hot , but when these engines fail (and they do) its the clutch / gearbox area , or the cylinder head valves / cam chain areas that seem to let go. The Kawasaki KLX design has been perfected and fine tuned over the years (its still a dual sport bike - not a race bike) and it is much more capable than the Honda , whose suspension cannot be adjusted at all (this is most important when riding off road). The Honda is also a lot heavier than the KLX and comes with less off road features. If using JUST on road the choice is a little closer , between the Kawasaki D-Tracker and the Honda CRF M.

any links for your claims? Please post links for your claims nigel as no links or proof, it is misleading or looks like you are dreaming. If you have links, we will be happy to see them.

i have friends using crf250l and they never mention what you are saying.

Never heard anything from them regarding this.

also, i rented a crf250l last Songkran Holiday at Koh Phangan, beat the s.it out of it for 4 days and it was not hotter than my old cbr250r and i had no problems with it.

Some people say, the sub frame and frame of kawa klx has problems. Sub frame cracks and i remember a couple of instances where frame broke down from head stock.

OP, anyway, one of these bikes either honda crf250l or kawa klr250 will fit you well in Thailand. I see klx around 80 k thb nowadays and crf 250l for around 100 k second hand.

just be careful if you want to buy a second hand one though as these are popular bikes for rental especially where you are.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I just need something around CM, dual bike, I guess Ninja 650 is not dual right?

I would recommend the Versys then. You should be able to pick one up secondhand for around Thb 200,000. I know a friend with one for sale at this price.