ThaiPost apologizes, investigates case of the iPhone, rock swap

webfact

ThaiPost apologizes, investigates case of the iPhone, rock swap
By Coconuts Bangkok

08.jpg?itok=Mc_S148E

BANGKOK: -- When Piyanut Senamitr tore into the package containing an iPhone 4S shipped earlier this month, she might have wondered if her sister was pranking her. For inside the box she found a lovely … stone.

National mail carrier Thailand Post apologized yesterday and took responsibility for the EMS parcel in which Piyanut’s iPhone magically changed into a rock prior to delivery, saying it would compensate her for the loss.

Managing director Anussara Jitmitrapab said they concluded something happened to the smartphone during the delivery process, but didn’t offer any more specific theories, such as that the phone was stolen and replaced with a rock. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/07/18/thaipost-apologizes-investigates-case-iphone-rock-swap

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-07-18

In before all of the "I've never lost anything through Thai Post" and "You should always use the EMS service" posts !! (Although, some of the phones I've bought in the past have been strikingly similar to your average rock, but rocks tend to be less annoying and don't get answered as often while you're engaged in "horizontal activities") !!

Edited by Kerryd

In before all of the "I've never lost anything through Thai Post" and "You should always use the EMS service" posts !! (Although, some of the phones I've bought in the past have been strikingly similar to your average rock, but rocks tend to be less annoying and don't get answered as often while you're engaged in "horizontal activities") !!

Well I personally have had 3 parcels disappear at the hands of the Thai postal service. One of them was a wedding present.

I now have everything sent in my wife's name and nothing has gone missing.

The wife says they are targeting me because I have a farang name and they assume it is something expensive.

• Like 2

Managing director Anussara Jitmitrapab said they concluded something happened to the smartphone during the delivery process, but didn’t offer any more specific theories, such as that the phone was stolen and replaced with a rock.

Unbelievable Thailand unbelievable manager ! from now on I will ask friends to send rocks and hope someone exchange if for something of value or some of the stuff of ours thats gone astray with the post here. The more stronger packaging only makes the job harder to exchange goods !

Three weeks ago I received a registered package sent from China via Swiss Post that was supposed to contain a cell phone purchased thru AliBaba. When I was handed the package it was obvious that it was empty. I asked the postman to wait while I opened the package and my wife took a picture so he could witness that I received an empty box. I filed disputes with AliBaba, Visa, the seller, and the Thai Postal Service. The seller insists that he sent the phone. Visa reversed the charges pending response from AliBaba. The Postman in Kamala advised me not to expect a quick response, and AliBaba requested the seller to provide proof of shipping weight. I have no way to be sure, but my guess is that the phone was shipped and went missing in the Thai postal system. I have placed many orders with AliBaba before and never had a problem. A seller could get away with this at most 1 time, and they would have a black mark after that. The seller does not get paid until the buyer reports that the goods were received and were as advertised.

I had my U S driver license mail to me never got it. I then paid for a loss license my friend mailed it Protity Mail in the U S they said 8-10 days Max for me to receive it cost 24.85 Dollats received it in 20 days and feel lucky I got it The Mail here like nobody knows anything

My daughter in the UK sent me an iPhone for Christmas. The assisrtant explained that it was so expensive becuase the UK Royal Mail had so many fraudulant claims about missing phones, parcels posted without a phone inside. When she knew there was a real iPhone in the parcel she chaeged a lot less. It was sent on Christams Eve and despite the Christmas and New Year holidays I received it here on January 2.

In thirteen years I have never failed to receive a letter or a parcel.

• Like 1

I had my U S driver license mail to me never got it. I then paid for a loss license my friend mailed it Protity Mail in the U S they said 8-10 days Max for me to receive it cost 24.85 Dollats received it in 20 days and feel lucky I got it The Mail here like nobody knows anything

Which language is this?

Auto correct I think :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

I THINK all us Farang have had many items stolen, lost or even undelivered because the stamps are European, American and etc. I also believe it is the postmen who are responsible, as they generally seem to be unaccountable after the system processing.

EMS recorded does not work, and nobody will take responsibility.

I have sent items back home too, with tracking numbers... and 4 days later still no trace. I took my tracking numbers to various post-offices involved... solleee no understan.

It's a farang.. open it.. <deleted> the package or envelope into the bin and thus no traceability. It stinks... and we farang are the biggest targets.

Christmas cards disappear, items of sentimental value, and the list is endless.

WE DESERVE AN APOLOGY FROM THE ROYAL THAI POST; not Thai's who complain. Once in a while for them... every bloody day for us.

This is one area Prayuth should be operating in, if he doesn't want us to sell up and <deleted> without further investment into this land.

Edited by metisdead
Attempt at circumventing the profanity filter corrected.

ThaiPost employees have a long history of thieving ... I can attest to that.

On the other hand, I've had mostly good experiences with Thailand Post. Generally quite efficient and when something was broken in transit, they covered the cost.

I remember the days in India; when sending letters home you had to buy a prepaid airmail envelope because if you didn't the little blighters in the post office would peel the stamp off of your envelope/postcard and sell it again.

Three weeks ago I received a registered package sent from China via Swiss Post that was supposed to contain a cell phone purchased thru AliBaba. When I was handed the package it was obvious that it was empty. I asked the postman to wait while I opened the package and my wife took a picture so he could witness that I received an empty box. I filed disputes with AliBaba, Visa, the seller, and the Thai Postal Service. The seller insists that he sent the phone. Visa reversed the charges pending response from AliBaba. The Postman in Kamala advised me not to expect a quick response, and AliBaba requested the seller to provide proof of shipping weight. I have no way to be sure, but my guess is that the phone was shipped and went missing in the Thai postal system. I have placed many orders with AliBaba before and never had a problem. A seller could get away with this at most 1 time, and they would have a black mark after that. The seller does not get paid until the buyer reports that the goods were received and were as advertised.

This might be the reason why vendors refuse to ship to Thailand.

ThaiPost employees have a long history of thieving ... I can attest to that.

Being English I can attest that the Royal Mail are the worst of the worst when it comes to thieving. Fourteen years in Thailand and ThaiPost has never had parcels or letters just vanish unlike the Royal Mail service.

Everything that has gone missing has been traced to sorting offices in the UK.

• Like 2

How do we know she didn't really post a rock and is trying to scam a phone out of the post office ? She can't prove it was a phone in there when she sent it.....

Maybe she can. How would you know?

Edited by Zeegator

My daughter in the UK sent me an iPhone for Christmas. The assisrtant explained that it was so expensive becuase the UK Royal Mail had so many fraudulant claims about missing phones, parcels posted without a phone inside. When she knew there was a real iPhone in the parcel she chaeged a lot less. It was sent on Christams Eve and despite the Christmas and New Year holidays I received it here on January 2.

In thirteen years I have never failed to receive a letter or a parcel.

"When she knew there was a real iPhone in the parcel she chaeged a lot less."

Post Office employees in the UK have the discretion to charge whatever postal rates they see fit? Yeah, right.

I THINK all us Farang have had many items stolen, lost or even undelivered because the stamps are European, American and etc. I also believe it is the postmen who are responsible, as they generally seem to be unaccountable after the system processing.

EMS recorded does not work, and nobody will take responsibility.

I have sent items back home too, with tracking numbers... and 4 days later still no trace. I took my tracking numbers to various post-offices involved... solleee no understan.

It's a farang.. open it.. f<delted?k the package or envelope into the bin and thus no traceability. It stinks... and we farang are the biggest targets.

Christmas cards disappear, items of sentimental value, and the list is endless.

WE DESERVE AN APOLOGY FROM THE ROYAL THAI POST; not Thai's who complain. Once in a while for them... every bloody day for us.

This is one area Prayuth should be operating in, if he doesn't want us to sell up and f- - - off without further investment into this land.

"I THINK all us Farang have had many items stolen, lost or even undelivered..." Not at all, you speak for yourself.

"EMS recorded does not work, and nobody will take responsibility." Yes, it does.

"Christmas cards disappear, items of sentimental value, and the list is endless." Your endless list seems to comprise 2 items.

"...every bloody day for us." Nonsense.

Edited by Zeegator
  • Like 1

And there's an item on breaking news (Bangkok Post I think) to the effect that the shipper of the supposed phone has been caught out defrauding the customers a second time. He didn't send the phone in the first place but posted the rock instead.

So much for all the accusatory posts out there, blaming the postal system in their infinite wisdom and their 'guilty before judged' attutude in true bush lawyer arrogance.

And for the record I have never had anything misplaced by the Thai postal system but the Australian and American systems are different stories...

bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

• Like 2

Which language is this?

That's American ... kinda like English but written by someone who lives on the US!