Bangkok Bank Thai/English Access

Hi All,

I have a very simple question my Thai wife and I are arguing (from America). We had Thai family members open an account at Bangkok Bank as I use the Bangkok Bank Manhattan branch for ACH.

Anyway, I want online access to the account, but she says nobody she knows in Bangkok can go into a Bangkok Bank branch office to register for online access because:

BANGKOK BANK ONLINE ONLY ALLOWS ENGLISH USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS

None of her family members speak, write, or can even say English letters. Therefore, until we return to Bangkok and she goes into create the online account, we cannot access the account online.

Is that the dumbest thing you've ever heard?

I'm a software engineer, apparently my Thai wife is so silly, she does not realize I know how ridiculous that is. So I tested it out and guess what, Thai characters work just fine to make a username/password on even my own simple website I created in 10 minutes.

Am I to believe that all these Thai dating web sites make these Thai girls who know almost no English at all must use English to log into a web site that is completely in Thai?

The only possibility is that Bangkok Bank actually does, for whatever reason, limit their security credential character set to the English Alphabet. Technically this is possible, and I'm unable to verify.

So I'm asking the community. Do you need to know English create an account and to log into Bangkok Bank Online?

Thanks so much for your responses!

One last thing, I'm well aware of how Thai women lie, deceive, and in general will say whatever is necessary to get them what they want. I'm not a boob, my wife is not a bar girl, we met in America, but yes, she still makes this sort of crap up all the time.

Maybe they don't allow multi byte unicode characters in usernames and passwords, I have come across this before but I would not think this would be a thing in a country where a non ASCII alphabet is used as standard.

It seems a little strange.

ukrules,

Thanks for your response. I agree and I'm well aware of Unicode and character encoding.

By default, almost all current web technology allows Unicode and multi byte encoding, it would be something a web site would need to turn off, or restrict in a username/password validation, typically with a regex such as "/^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$/"

This is not an answer to your question, but maybe something to help you out until you get your problem solved.

I dont have online access to my BKK bank account, but I can still use the automated phone service for alot of things. Just call this number from the US

+66 0-2645-5555

The instruction guide http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/Phone%20Banking/BP-Instruction-Guide.pdf

You can check balances, transactions, and have statements faxed to you. I was even able to confirm my ACH setup test deposits in USD just by listening to the option for international transactions.

Its old school, but better than nothing.

Thank you ChickenWing. I will use the automated system.

Interestingly enough, you mentioned exactly what I am trying to do, confirm my test ACH deposits in US dollars.

My wife said she called that number and spoke with an operator and she confirmed that you can only create Bangkok Bank online access accounts in English.

I still can't believe that.

Hey, I just wanted to post again, I just read the above original post, and yeah, I'm laughing my ass off at myself. Wow, that really does sound like a load of crap and yet another Thai girl is taking advantage of a foreigner.

Mike

"One last thing, I'm well aware of how Thai women lie, deceive, and in general will say whatever is necessary to get them what they want. I'm not a boob, my wife is not a bar girl, we met in America, but yes, she still makes this sort of crap up all the time."

"Wow, that really does sound like a load of crap"

Thus the invention of the "edit" function.

"I'm a software engineer ..."

Choo, choo.

the sequence is press 2 for english,

1 for account activity,

1 for further account inquiry,

2 for incoming transactions

2 for international transactions

Enter your account info, and date range to search. It will give the amounts in both USD and THB.

Should have found a bar girl. They can make everything financial work for them in any language you care to name under the sunsmile.png Much brighter than the average Thai peasant IMHO.

• Like 2

My "Thai GF" has a Bangkok Bank account, lives in Thailand, and she has no problem accessing its online banking system in Thai. In fact once logged in, the site has the icon to switch from Eng/Thai. It also takes Thai keyboard inputs. I know I helped her set it up. So someone is feeding you a load of BS.

Have them sign up for "Bualung Banking" at any main branch. Takes a week to get setup.

Edited by Mrjlh
  • Like 1

Bangkok Bank iBanking service will create 10 digit long userid when you sign up with them. At least that's what they did when we signed up for the service some years back. The password can also be only digits. That way, no problem with either Thai or English...

ukrules,

Thanks for your response. I agree and I'm well aware of Unicode and character encoding.

By default, almost all current web technology allows Unicode and multi byte encoding, it would be something a web site would need to turn off, or restrict in a username/password validation, typically with a regex such as "/^[a-zA-Z0-9]+$/"

The point you're missing is that a banking system is NOT a web application. The web application is merely a front end to what is almost certainly an extremely old banking application. That application is most unlikely to be Unicode-enabled.

But the point might also be that the authentication is done by the web front-end, and just a temporary transaction token is generated and passed to the extremely old banking application. That's how I have seen it implemented to webify old CICS applications running on IBM's Big Iron.

As stated above, the web app is just a front end to the system and the legacy banking system has nothing at all to do with the web app. Separation of concerns, ever heard that one? And as you stated, the web app has nothing at all to do with the banking system, it merely exposes functionality that is fulfilled by the backing banking system. The web app will have full use of Unicode username/passwords, the legacy system cares not at all.

I just did a front end system for Transamerica still running it's back-end on a 20 year old mainframe. Granted, access to the API was defined using old technology, but the loin process to the new front end system was using state of the art technology.

Examine your logic, are you saying that old computer systems cannot be accessed with modern code using new authorization/authentication systems?

Anyway, we digress, I've found my answer, thanks for all the responses.

I think my logic is sound and exacly what you just posted. You can very well use modern web technologies to do the state of the art client authentications and talk to the very old state of the art applications that run on the state of the art Heavy Metal IBM kit that haven't been rebooted (or IPL'ed as the proper term should be) in the past ten years... Eat your heart out MS!