Jack Sparrow look-alike on Pai Memorial Bridge

I stopped to look at Pai Memorial Bridge recently. It was originally built by Japanese slave labour during the Second World War and remains as a memorial. So I was appalled to find a Jack Sparrow look-alike encouraging Chinese tourists to jump in the air and get their photo taken with him. Is this just part of some tacky tour for the lowest element among Chinese tourists or does this look-alike have a permanent presence there? The tour group were being encouraged by their leader to cry out "ah so!". It seemed incredibly disrespectful and ignorant. I didn't take any photos but a google images search shows this isn't a one off.

jack+sparrow+entertaining+tourists.JPG

My sources tell me, he has also been sighted in Pai & Pattaya ?

Perhaps Jack Sparrow is really a Thai character, which was stolen, by those cunning Disney/Hollywood-types ! laugh.png

Whatever, if it makes the tourists happy, and generates an income for a Thai, then why ever not ?

Perhaps Jack Sparrow is really a Thai character, which was stolen, by those cunning Disney/Hollywood-types ! laugh.png

Whatever, if it makes the tourists happy, and generates an income for a Thai, then why ever not ?

Because the bridge in there to remember victims of a war crime. Why not have Harry Potter in Belsen? We need to show respect in these places.

• Like 1

Because the bridge in there to remember victims of a war crime. Why not have Harry Potter in Belsen? We need to show respect in these places.

Sorry, I agree, and had missed that the bridge was a war-memorial. wai2.gif

A bit of a scam, that bridge. The original bridge that was built there was not built with slave labor, but by Japanese soldiers. The bridge that is there now is not even the original bridge. The present bride was made in 1976 by Thais.

It's zorro, chow and captain jack. There may be a Hollywood movie in production? A modern day Cannonball Run packed with celebs racing out of Thailand before their visas expire?

Who would play Captain Chaos?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A bit of a scam, that bridge. The original bridge that was built there was not built with slave labor, but by Japanese soldiers. The bridge that is there now is not even the original bridge. The present bride was made in 1976 by Thais.

The history of it is explained on a notice board. Originally the Japanese forced local villagers to build the bridge and it was later rebuilt. Another bridge has been built next to it but the rebuilt bridge remains as a memorial (to the victims of Japanese slave labour presumably).