Chiang Mai Villagers Are Protesting Against An Elephant Park Project

Jai Dee

Chiang Mai villagers are protesting against an elephant park project

People in five villages of three tambons in Chiang Mai’s Muang and Hang Dong (หางดง) districts are protesting against construction of an elephant park near their communities.

About 100 villagers represented their communities in handing the protest letter signed by more than 1,000 people to Sa-nguansak Jaisom (สงวนศักดิ์ ใจสม), mayor of tambon Nong Kwai (หนองควาย) administration organization, yesterday.

They said the elephant park, a project of the Chiang Mai Night Safari, will destroy the environment and cause water shortage, the problems they had experienced when the night safari was being built.

They said construction, which has already begun, must stop.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 30 June 2006

s7_copy4.jpg

No to elephant park

People from Chiang Mai’s Hang Dong and Muang districts protest against the construction of the Elephant Park Project at the northern city’s Night Safari, claiming it will damage the environment and ruin their quality of life.

Source: The Nation - 30 June 2006

There is something going on directly behind my house ....... :D

It was supposed to be houses ..but then I heard that the land had been sold on.... it must be 200 Rai and there are lorries bringing in earth at the rate of 10 an hour building up the ground level , then being flattened by bulldozers. They have also dug out some kind of lake.

Maybee thats where it is ..but its not far away from Hang Dong, and not that far from the night safari :o

Right opposite the new Condo that is almost finished

TP I think the area you refer to is likely to be a resort. Splendid view, especially to the North :o:D

However, the proposed elephant park is planned to use the forest area to the west of the safari & flower show and at the foot of Doi Suthep & Pui . That means, just at the back of Doi Kham. National Park land.

I feel for the villagers, some have literally had their land near the National Park reposessed.

Do we have a name for the fruit loop behind this natty little scheme? With the Night Safari way below budget at the gate, this is probably just another ploy by Plodprasop to boost flagging visitors. :D A definate ecological blunder, but there again, I'm sure they have done their ecological impact studies over the last year or so :o

TP I think the area you refer to is likely to be a resort. Splendid view, especially to the North :D :D

However, the proposed elephant park is planned to use the forest area to the west of the safari & flower show and at the foot of Doi Suthep & Pui . That means, just at the back of Doi Kham. National Park land.

I feel for the villagers, some have literally had their land near the National Park reposessed.

You are right ally...its not going to be an elephant camp....rumours are now flying around that its going to be

AN AMMUSEMENT PARK :D

Wonderful :D

Anybody wanna buy a house :o

There was an article in the local paper today from a writer at the LA Times describing the growth in tourism from China. It reads in part:

"About 32 million Chinese ventured overseas last year, a six-fold increase over 1997 and a 50-fold increase since 1985, with 100 million projected annually by 2020.

"The potential is just enormous," said Jia Yiyuan, outbound deputy general manager with China Comfort Travel, a Beijing-based travel agency. "Some people say Venice is sinking because of all the Chinese tourists."

Although most remain close to home, a growing number are venturing to Europe, Latin America and Africa. Their priorities are also different. Even as they scrimp on rooms and food, they're shopping aggressively for luxury bags, watches and designer clothes to the tune of $987 per overseas visitor, more than the Japanese, making them the world leaders, according to a survey by ACNielsen and Tax Free World Association.

In keeping with China's near-obsession with control, outbound tourist flows are guided through a series of "approved destination" status agreements with foreign countries. These require Chinese to use a select number of pre-approved travel agents."

This pretty much decsribes the future of tourism in Thailand. They will focus on these various amusement parks such as Safari Land where every tourist baat spent ends up in the correct pocket. No more baat being spent in small locally owned guesthouses where those awful backpackers, so despised by the Chinese Emperor in Bangkok (aa well as many of the stick-up-the-derriere expats who frequent these forums), might offend Han sensibilities or give the wrong political message to Chinese youth. Sort of like the old days when the Erawan Resort was the foray into the jungle for the Bangkok visitors up north.