One dead, four injured as luxury car rear-ends Truck on Pattaya Highway

Rimmer

One dead, four injured as luxury car rear-ends Truck on Pattaya Highway

crash-7.jpg
PATTAYA:--In the early hours of Friday a three-vehicle crash occurred on Highway 331 which left one male driver dead.

The crash involved a Black Mercedes Benz driven by Khun Surachai aged 50, a White Toyota Vios driven by Khun Siripan aged 34 and an 18-wheel truck driven by Khun Tongchai aged 29.

The truck was on its way to Laem Chabang from Rayong Province and was carrying 20 tons of Dried Fish. Inside the truck was the drivers wife and child and all three sustained relatively minor injuries.

Khun Surachai aged 50, the driver of the Mercedes Benz, was declared dead-at-the-scene due to life-ending crush injuries, caused when his car slammed into the rear of the slower-moving truck. A further collision with the White Car occurred causing substantial damage to the vehicle but only minor injuries to its driver, Khun Siripan.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/135512/one-dead-four-injured-as-luxury-car-rear-ends-truck-on-pattaya-highway/#sthash.ahXYnUr8.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-07-19

Yes some of those trucks have almost no lighting its real dangerous. Same goes for many small motorbikes no lighting on the back. I drive a bike and a car and inspect my tail lights. Is crazy that people want to save a few baht by not fixing it. When you hit them its your mistake.

The dead guy obviously was important else i doubt they would have looked at the trucks lighting because usually if you rear end someone here your to blame end of story easy police report.

Yes some of those trucks have almost no lighting its real dangerous. Same goes for many small motorbikes no lighting on the back. I drive a bike and a car and inspect my tail lights. Is crazy that people want to save a few baht by not fixing it. When you hit them its your mistake.

The dead guy obviously was important else i doubt they would have looked at the trucks lighting because usually if you rear end someone here your to blame end of story easy police report.

Important yes.

And many Thai car owner affix a 40-50 % dark film on the windshield with does not help on dark street. It is in fact not legal in Thailand but who care here.

And from my observation , usually luxury car drivers have a tendency to drive at high on highway.

• Like 1

I am very familiar with that stretch of road, probably one of the most dangerous roads in Thailand.

Driving too fast springs to mind.

Never mind, how TF do you plough your can into the back of a truck if you are driving at normal speed?

• Like 2

If you maintain a safe stopping distance between you and the vehicle in front and drive at a speed which allows you to bring the vehicle safely to a halt (which most Thais don't have a clue about) should you need to this kind of accident can be avoided.

the Mercedes driver had headlights presumably?rolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

If you maintain a safe stopping distance between you and the vehicle in front and drive at a speed which allows you to bring the vehicle safely to a halt (which most Thais don't have a clue about) should you need to this kind of accident can be avoided.

Having driven that stretch of road more times than I care to remember, the merc driver probably had an attitude problem, presumably, why the heck doesnt this Somchai know who I am and pull over to let me pass, doesnt he know a HiSo when he sees one, get out the way you low class Lo So peasant.

For the record, I usually find 'Tuna drivers to be the worst.

• Like 1

I'm sure...some fancy bi-xenon fancy ones no doubt. Just glad this time it was the speeding dangerous driver who took it in the chest so to speak and not some hapless policeman on a motorbike...or else this guy would be on his way to Singapore by now. The basic lesson in any driving situation:Drive no faster than is safe for the road conditions at hand.

Also, trade in the Mercs for a cheapo Toyo and live!

• Like 2

It's clear from the state of the Merc that it was not a slow impact, how fast and hard to you need to hit a fully loaded truck to tip it over??

This kind of sums up Merc drivers ..... http://mercsuckers.wordpress.com/

From my Physics text, chapter on collisions: the ballistic pendulum. Used for measuring bullet speed before impact. v = m+M/m (2gy)1/2

m= mass of car. 3000 pounds

M= mass of truck. 16000 pounds

g= 32 ft/sec2

y= width of truck , 8 feet ( half of which is raised 8' ie. rotated 900.

So; v = 3000+8000/3000 ( 2x32'/sec2x8')1/2 = 82.8 feet/sec. = 119 mph

Of course there are some estimates in the above