Can anyone explain the anti-American sentiment to me?

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe there is that much anti-American sentiment about, no more or less so than anti-any other nationality. I think most of us get along well with Americans, I just wish they wouldn't talk so loudly, everyone of them it seems and everywhere they go!

I've found the same thing. Sit down to a nice quiet meal with a Thai friend, and a group of Americans walk in. They don't just talk, they sound as though they're talking to someone across the room!

I have often had to up plates and move further away. I know Aussies can get way too loud when they've got a few beers under the belt, but in a restaurant? fair go guys!!

I have had this same thing happen to me but it was a group of Thais who were too loud.

Edited by Utley
  • Like 2

Mainly it's the hypocrisy of their foreign policy. They preach democracy but support some of the worst dictators on the planet and bring down democracies when they refuse to bend over for uncle Sam. They are dangerous and divisive and rain down death and destruction on anyone they fancy. They have turned Iraq and Libya in to hells on earth. Their governments, of whatever ilk, are elected (usually) fascists! Must stop now, my veins are popping out.

Iraq and Libya were hells on earth long before the Americans got involved.

• Like 1

Mainly it's the hypocrisy of their foreign policy. They preach democracy but support some of the worst dictators on the planet and bring down democracies when they refuse to bend over for uncle Sam. They are dangerous and divisive and rain down death and destruction on anyone they fancy. They have turned Iraq and Libya in to hells on earth. Their governments, of whatever ilk, are elected (usually) fascists! Must stop now, my veins are popping out.

Well if that's the case then maybe the anti-American sentiment will be changing, as President McBummer announced in his West Point graduation speech a new non-interventionist policy - basically telling all the scumbags of the world they can go right ahead with their dirty work as the US military won't do anything - but I don't see any new update. Actually if this were actually the source of the anti-American sentiment we should see exactly the same sentiment against, say, Chinese, Russians, or the broader radical Sunni nation, all of whom fit your bill just as well as the (minus the "preach democracy" and replace "Iraq and Libya" with different names), with difference being you're politically freer in US.

SO I don't think the perceived foreign policy is 100% the reason, for the simple fact that we don't see the same anti-Russian or anti-Chinese (or can I say anti-Muslim) sentiment. So maybe it's the fact that the Americans do it with a sort of "we're cowboys here to save the day" attitude which really pisses leftists (as well as people who get caught up in it such as the poster with loved ones involved in the friendly fire) off.

Why would we see the same anti Russian or anti Chinese sentiment? They're not constantly sticking their noses, often violently, into every bodies business as though they own the world.

And we do see plenty of anti Muslim sentiment.

Sent from my XT1033 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have got to be joking me. Russia is taking over the Ukraine and China wants the oil in the South China Sea. The Muslim extremists want to kill anyone who is not.......well, Muslim.

• Like 1

Well if that's the case then maybe the anti-American sentiment will be changing, as President McBummer announced in his West Point graduation speech a new non-interventionist policy - basically telling all the scumbags of the world they can go right ahead with their dirty work as the US military won't do anything - but I don't see any new update. Actually if this were actually the source of the anti-American sentiment we should see exactly the same sentiment against, say, Chinese, Russians, or the broader radical Sunni nation, all of whom fit your bill just as well as the (minus the "preach democracy" and replace "Iraq and Libya" with different names), with difference being you're politically freer in US.

SO I don't think the perceived foreign policy is 100% the reason, for the simple fact that we don't see the same anti-Russian or anti-Chinese (or can I say anti-Muslim) sentiment. So maybe it's the fact that the Americans do it with a sort of "we're cowboys here to save the day" attitude which really pisses leftists (as well as people who get caught up in it such as the poster with loved ones involved in the friendly fire) off.

Why would we see the same anti Russian or anti Chinese sentiment? They're not constantly sticking their noses, often violently, into every bodies business as though they own the world.

And we do see plenty of anti Muslim sentiment.

Politically free? Don't make me laugh, your next president will be an American supremist with a god given right to violate any nation who doesn't kiss his butt, they're all the same. You had your chance to vote in a half decent chap with Ron Paul, but it turned out there were not enough decent people in America.

Ronald Paul tends to prefer isolationism when it comes to foreign policy. Is that really what you want - a return to "fortress America" and let the rest of the free world fend for themselves?

I'll repeat what I said earlier...

The problem with Americans is that when you start taking the piss out of them they think you're being serious laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

To be serious for a minute - the problem with using words like 'leftist' when you're talking to non Americans is that it really doesn't mean anything. From the perspective of those of us who aren't US citizens there is no such thing as 'the left' in the USA. There are right wingers and even more right wingers. That's not a criticism - just the way it appears to us.

I spent a lot of time in coastal towns from Portland to Albany in the US when I was in the merchant marine. I did a 6 week dry dock in Oakland. I've been on holiday there. I had a wonderful time and only ever met one real ar se hole.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously.

Your advice works both ways.

Many of these 'piss takers' think they are clever and their brilliance should be admired. But, they are usually ignorant about the real facts. And they tend to lose their 'sophisticated' humor when it's turned back on them.

The U.S. is a huge multi-cultural country. To lump everyone into one 'piss taking' category is moronic.

Americans have a great sense of humor and love to laugh at themselves (check out John Stewart, et. al.).

"Stop taking yourselves so seriously."

Hey I'd prefer to ignore nationalities and focus on inner characteristics, but people quite outright put it in one's face as I noted was the reason for the original post (confronting a ME man who was harassing some non-covered up locals resulted in being told to go back to America and take care of my own country's problems). Don't quite understand the extremes in emotions it seems to evoke so thought I'd ask the question, g'night.

In the period between leading up to US involvement in WW11 I believe the predominant US policy was isolationism, I suppose this could have worked both for and against anti US sentiment. Overall I guess Europeans, threated or occupied by Germany, would not have been 'happy' with the general US isolationist policy of the time.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1937-1945/american-isolationism

I question the nature of your approach to a "ME man". If truth were told did your handling of the situation create a push back by the observer/s of your actions?

They do it mostly out of ignorance....

It is not only ignorance,but mostly JEALOUSY, in my honest opinion. - This is, no doubt, based on the "picture of Life in America' which thee people retain after watching some of the best motion-pictures produced on earth. The often "lavish" lifestyles depicted, get people's "jealousy-gauges" going.

I am a Dutchman, and I for one am extremely grateful to the Americans for 'helping us out' with the horrible WW-2; if it wasn't for the US of A, I (and all of my European counterparts) would be speaking German now ! ! ! !

Then; American young lives (millions of them) have been the difference between "Freedom" and "Oppression" ever since WW-2 - and I, for one, am nothing but grateful to the Americans ! !

Whenever & wherever there is a 'hot-spot' caused by callous governments, dictator or natural disaster: who jumps-up and rushes to take the required action ? ? ? It's always the USA !

Also; I have to laugh when I read here that Kiwis & Aussies are believing they can score point with regards to the American's Language ? ? ? ? - That is a classic case of the Pot calling the Kettle black ! ! ! !

Last but not least; America has spawned some magnificent authors - and for all of you Yankee-Haters I have some advice: pick-up any Louis L'Amour novel and read it - then let the world know how you feel about the good ol' US of A !

thumbsup.gif

Condolences to you and your country for the recent murders.

Why do brits think they're comedy experts?

Strike that. Why do brits think they're experts on everything?

OMG! Did I do satire?!

Edited by rijb
  • Like 1

Who's louder and more obnoxious, Chinese or Americans?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Whose posts are more stupid and idiotic? Yours or yours? (more satire)

Don't be a moron. You're trying to put over a billion people into one category.

Edited by rijb

Why do brits think they're comedy experts?

Strike that. Why do brits think they're experts on everything?

OMG! Did I do satire?!

FAIL - it would have been better expressed by paraphrasing David Brent when he said:

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do."

p.s. Jus havin fun wid ya.

A classic comparative example of US v UK comedy is the show "Office". The original UK version is classic satire. The US copy version is total crap because it "tries" to be funny.

I thought that they both sucked.

There is plenty of good American comedy and plenty of good British comedy. People who can't see that, are usually the ones with the problems.

As my full post only discussed satire and compared two specific programmes in relation to a US v UK stereotypical perceptions of satire, I do agree with you that there is plenty of good comedy that comes out of America. whistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

For me I don't like loud mouths. And there seems to be alot of them from the US. The type when you can hear every word of their conversation even when they are accross the room full of people.

Also the extreme patriotism kinda grinds on me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

A classic comparative example of US v UK comedy is the show "Office". The original UK version is classic satire. The US copy version is total crap because it "tries" to be funny.

Surely all comedy shows are trying to be funny?

I much preferred the US version, as it happens.

The problem with Americans is that when you start taking the piss out of them they think you're being serious laugh.png

The problem with most Yanks is, they dont have a sense of humour, have you ever watched Yank comedy shows, utter crap.

Gawd I love NY, every one there is a NYorker not a Yank.

Please list the ones you have seen and think are crap.

Also list some British shows that are to your taste.

I might be able to hook you up, dude.

Perhaps you haven't been exposed to the stuff you would like. You do realize there are probably thousands of choices and that American comedy is very diverse?

BTW, I am a big fanny (oops) of many British comedy shows and I simply don't believe an intelligent English speaking person can't find some American comedy shows that would amuse them,

I suppose though that some people are pathetically PROVINCIAL and can't appreciate comedy from any country other than their own. A pity.

Stereotypically speaking, American comedy fails to carry off satire and seem to think that slapstick comedy is in fact satire - newsflash....it ain't.

The only one I can recall that got away with it was the famed Archie Bunker's "All in the family". That show was better than the UK programme that it copied.

I was under the impression that all British comedy WAS slapstick; a.k.a. Charlie Chaplin all the way through to Benny Hill.