Budget Loudspeakers

james512

I'm looking to get some hifi separates (budget - mid range) in Bangkok. I'm mostly familiar with British companies but have had a hard time tracking them down. I've found a few pieces here and there but would like to keep looking before i make any decisions.

I found the Arcam solo in a couple of places which i could settle for but am now looking for loudspeakers. Anyone ever seen KEF or EPOS sold in Thailand?

Any other advice with regards to location of good HiFi shops would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

There is a hi-fi center next to the rear of Big C, in front of World Trade Center, on Rachdamri road. There are a lot of hi-fi shops at IT Mall, in the mall area towards the hotel section.

Currently also a hi-fi audio-video show being held at Emerald Hotel, on Ratchada Road, near the cultural center/IT Mall. You can take the subway there.

Mordaunt Short speakers although on the budget side recently won a 5* from What hifi, beating out every other speaker under I believe 200 pounds.

Nice sounding, There is a shop in Paragon, the Mordaunt Shorts are good value at 8,000 baht for the 902i's.

Anyone ever seen KEF or EPOS sold in Thailand?

Yes, I believe I've seen both brands sold at Ploenchit Center before most high end audio shops there moved to hi-fi center Firefoxx mentioned. I don't remember seeing these two brands at the new hi-fi center though.

For U.K. brands, though not every models are available here, speakers from B&W, ProAc, Tannoy (some of lower range are made in Malaysia), LINN, ALR Jordan (UK - German) are sold in Thailand.

Try the Emporium and Central Dept. Store Ploenchit for mid-priced components.

-redwood

Yup, checked these out already. The classical music shop in Emporium sells Linn and a few older Arcam pieces. Linn is good but a bit more expensive than what i'm looking for. Actually, i have a Linn Classik/Pre-Amp combo in the UK i could bring over. Both pretty heavy though and I'm not sure on what customs would say as I just use a tourist visa to enter the country. I don't work here so see little point in applying for a different visa at this time.

Upstairs they have Denon and the other usual suspects but not the best models. Central dept store, if i recall correctly, had mostly Marantz and Toshiba. Can't remember what speakers they stock but did remember seeing Wharfedales.

Worth another look in both these places though. I just need to take a notebook with me and actually write down what they have with prices as i always forget afterwards.

Am looking for KEF Kit100 home theatre system myself.... phoned their distributor and told it can be found at Paragon dep store or Central stores (powermall) - i'll be going for a look on Monday probably....

KEF distributor is Home HiFi phone 028641317

coops

Am looking for KEF Kit100 home theatre system myself.... phoned their distributor and told it can be found at Paragon dep store or Central stores (powermall) - i'll be going for a look on Monday probably....

coops

Thanks for the info coops. Let us know what you find if manage to get down there on Monday.

coops

Thanks for the info coops. Let us know what you find if manage to get down there on Monday.

Central Chitlom does have a couple of KEF items and more in a handout - but their 'staff' didn't know they had any... and quite ibviously had never even heard of the brand..... so don't bother with that place.

Paragon Department store is thankfully a big improvement.

Went to the TV/Electronics floor and looking around didn't see any KEF stuff.... asked a random sales guy and *shock* they correctly pointed me to the hi-end audio area which i hadn't spotted. It's around/behind the mobile phone area...

(ps another sales person seemd to know what a SCART connector was also.... they didn't have an adaptor but this was the first one i've come across who didn't go blank at the mention of the word...)

Sales guy at the hi end audio showed me their gear - also have Mission and also some good mid sized KEF floorstanders.... they did not have the KIT100 i was looking for - but he knew exactly what it was - I'll probably end up ordering it (with stands) since i'll be away for 6 weeks for work next monday anyway...

So Paragon seems pretty good (prices are higher than you'd pay in UK.... no surprise there)

I'll try to get to the place on Ratdamri oppsoite world trade before i go - sounds well worth a visit.

I also some time looked in at a hi fi shop on Ratchapisek... it's on the Caesar's side of the road up northwards from it... can't remember the name. Had serious stuff there - Meridian etc.

coops

• 4 months later...

You guys seem really knowledgeable on audio here in Thailand. Do you know anywhere to purchase quality speaker components, such as drivers and crossovers? I want to do a DIY project and don't want to import all the parts. A lot of that stuff has to be manufactured here, but I'm not sure if it's in the consumer market.

I've seen a few cheap drivers on sale at Fortune Town for PA systems and such, but no hi-fi stuff. Any suggestions?