Owners' experiences with Honda Accord and Toyota Camry new models

Does anyone have personal experience of having had ownership of both the current models of Accord and Camry? I'm not looking for opinions but owners' real experience, if anyone can please.

I'm interested in changing my Camry 2.0 Extremo, 2014 model due to disappointments with build quality. I went to test drive a Honda Accord Navigator today and felt that it was a better designed vehicle with more precise steering and more attention to detail than the Toyota.

The only thing I didn't like so much about the Accord, was the placement of the navigator/DVD system, high up on the dash and which isn't a touch-screen display, unlike the Camry. I also like the interior of the Camry a lot.

However, it is my second Camry and when I decided to buy it, it was on the basis that it was the new model and hopefully with improvements in drive and technology. I've been disappointed however, because after getting to know the car well, I've drawn the conclusion that the car is almost unchanged from the 2006/2007 model. For example, the engine is tinny and noisy, the same as before. The steering and handling is poor for a modern car, with a flimsy feel and poor adhesion to the road, when turning at moderate-to-full lock at slow sleep. It wallows over speed bumps, as though the suspension has seen better days, although I have covered only 4,000 km. The suspension is boat-like, for want of a better description. Again, it's a trait that it shares with the previous model.

The thing I do love about the Camry is the interior. It's just a personal thing but visually it is very appealing, with the centre console merging into the dash with pleasant lines. The Honda on the other hand, has a strange array of angles, which have no coherence and no sporting look.

The Honda does have some nice standard features though. Even the base models have a rear-view camera, cruise control and memory seats. I also found that the boot lid feels strong and opens to a firm halt, whereas the Camry boot lid hinges feel very weak and flimsy, almost like they are going to break off under the weight of the lid.

I noted that the Honda has steel sills, whereas the Camry has plastic covered sills. Many things about the Camry are plastic. I would appreciate anyone's experiences if able to give first-hand comparison of having owned and driven both. Thanks.

Agree, I like the Nissan Teana better.biggrin.png

I did like the interior of the Teana, I agree with you, but when I looked under the front wheel arches, the flimsy plastic was a bit of a shock. It was even more inferior than Toyota's qualty, which is really saying something. The driver I use sometimes, said that the Teana was a very nice drive indeed however and so I imagine it is a nice car to own.

Frankly I feel that all these large Japanese cars are unsatisfactory and too overpriced for what they are. Nevertheless I've bought them, for want of better choices, but never really been that happy. There's no point me bemoaning what I drove in Europe, at a fraction of the cost, and with a V12 6.0 engine!

Has anyone owned a Camry and found that when accidentally flicking up a stone or debris in the road, it breaks the plastic flange from the rear wheel arch? It happened almost every two months, when I was driving long distances.

I have been driving my new Camry 2.5g for 7 months now. Love the car, no issues at all. Seriously considered the new Accord but I prefer the more conservative Camry interior and it has a less plasticity feel than the Accord. Read the reviews of the new Teana (Altima in America) and hence eliminated it because of quality control issues and resale here in Thailand.

I have been driving my new Camry 2.5g for 7 months now. Love the car, no issues at all. Seriously considered the new Accord but I prefer the more conservative Camry interior and it has a less plasticity feel than the Accord. Read the reviews of the new Teana (Altima in America) and hence eliminated it because of quality control issues and resale here in Thailand.

Thanks, that's interesting to hear. I like the Camry interior too, although I would have said that the centre console is very plasticy and also the fake aluminium corner pieces which ascend up into the dash, plus the matt black plastic panel that surrounds the temperature controls. Nevertheless, I don't like the Honda dash at all, as it looks unweildy with no consistent form, rather like each section has been appended as an afterthought. That said, I hadn't noticed it was plasticy as you say. I may not have looked closely at it. The DVD navigator in the Camry is touch-screen style with larger screen and better placement.

Do you not find that the Camry is too bouncy and just will not settle on anything except a flat road and also the steering imprecise? I was surprised at how well-mannered the Honda was on the road but quite honestly there may be things I don't like about the Honda, once I start to use it regularly.

The Teana is difficult to sell here, as you say. There has been a V6 for sale nearby for longer than I can remember.

post-135055-0-66067900-1405873762_thumb.

My last car in America was a bmw 540i so comparing my camry wouldn't be fair. I have the 2.5g which has Toyota's latest most economical engine and transmission. The 2.0 uses the same engine and transmission dating back to the last century. Overall I am pleased with the ride and handling but at my age I am less demanding. Never bought a car for fuel economy but I am pleased with the gas mileage to date. I found the dvd screen difficult to see from the driver's position and I guess I was referring to the aluminum industrial look of the Honda interior. I added the faux wood to the center air vents on the Camry. The camry has a slightly more conservative German or Lexus feel to it's interior.

Edited by ThaiBob

i currently own a 2013 accord 2.4 TECH. its a nice car but to noisy and shaky for me. if i could go back i'd invest the 1.8M i spent on the accord better on a used 7 series bmw or a newer mercedes c class.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

There's a huge void in refined and competitively priced motors in Thailand. It seems you are either at the thick end of 4M + for a decent EU quality type vehicle or you have to make do with a bone shaker ! I love my Pick Up and intend to keep it, but I would like a 2nd car that offers something different?

I wondering whether LG will ever bring out a car... They seem to do everything else and they are providing sexier and better products these days. I wonder what a LG tower fridge would drive like......elevated view and great air con and easy to park. I think all car parks in Thailand were designed for motorbikes !