Disciplinary panel to look into taekwondo row

Lite Beer

Disciplinary panel to look into taekwondo row
The Nation

30238968-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A press conference by the Taekwondo Association of Thailand about the controversy involving taekwondo star Rungrawee Khurasa and national coach Choi Young-seok attracts a large group of reporters and cameramen yesterday.

A press conference by the Taekwondo Association of Thailand about the controversy involving taekwondo star Rungrawee Khurasa and national coach Choi Young-seok attracts a large group of reporters and cameramen yesterday.
The taekwondo scandal that has gripped the country for the past week is likely to have a happy ending.

The Taekwondo Association of Thailand has set up a disciplinary committee chaired by Admiral Surawuth Maharom to investigate taekwondo star Rungrawee Khurasa's allegation that she sustained injuries after national coach Choi Young-seok physically assaulted her when she crashed out in the first round of the recent Korea Open in Gyeongju.

She alleged her Korean mentor had punched her in the stomach several times and also hit her in the face.

Choi, who did not accompany the squad when it returned to Thailand on Thursday, has denied all the allegations.

He posted a message on his Facebook fan page stating that he has been coaching in Thailand for more than 10 years and understood its culture.

Therefore, he said it was impossible that he would punish the 23-year-old unreasonably.

He said he punished an athlete only when he found someone lacked self-discipline and failed to take responsibility for their actions.

The scandal has resulted in an avalanche of comments - including strong criticism and insults - being directed at Rungrawee on social media over fears the highly successful coach won't return to Thailand.

If he doesn't return, it could impact on Thailand's future performances including at the Incheon Asian Games in South Korea in September.

As part of the investigation, relevant parties were asked to attend a meeting at the Taekwondo Association of Thailand yesterday.

A large number of reporters turned up but Rungrawee stayed away.

Her former coach Pitak Pookpun, who runs the RDC Club that Rungrawee belongs to, told reporters that she did not attend the meeting because she wanted to stop everything.

"I already have no space left for me to stand in society now," Pitak quoted Rungrawee as saying.

There have been reports that Choi is due to return to Thailand today as he wants to fulfil his goal of seeing a Thai win an Olympic gold.

TAT vice president Pricha Tortrakul told reporters that despite the absence of Rungrawee, the investigation would continue and anyone found guilty must be punished.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Disciplinary-panel-to-look-into-taekwondo-row-30238968.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-20

"He posted a message on his Facebook fan page stating that he has been coaching in Thailand for more than 10 years and understood its culture. Therefore, he said it was impossible that he would punish the 23-year-old unreasonably. He said he punished an athlete only when he found someone lacked self-discipline and failed to take responsibility for their actions."

He states that he understands the Thai culture and then makes the athlete lose face. Saving face IS the culture and taking responsibility for ones actions is a totally foreign concept. Doesn't he read the news or listen to the politicians? When was the last time anyone has said: "It was my mistake. I will change my ways and do better. Let's move on for the benefit of everyone." ?

I'm not sure what the real situation was and if he struck one of his fighters. However, it wouldn't surprise me if she made that statement to divert attention away from the fact that she lost in the first round and is just trying to save face. Being Thailand, there is his version, her version and then there is the true version.

• Like 1

He said he understands thai culture and at the same time states he punishes if they have lack of discipline and fails to take responsibility for their actions. Clearly he does not understand thai culture since saving face allows them to refuse taking responsibilty.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

"He posted a message on his Facebook fan page stating that he has been coaching in Thailand for more than 10 years and understood its culture. Therefore, he said it was impossible that he would punish the 23-year-old unreasonably. He said he punished an athlete only when he found someone lacked self-discipline and failed to take responsibility for their actions."

He states that he understands the Thai culture and then makes the athlete lose face. Saving face IS the culture and taking responsibility for ones actions is a totally foreign concept. Doesn't he read the news or listen to the politicians? When was the last time anyone has said: "It was my mistake. I will change my ways and do better. Let's move on for the benefit of everyone." ?

I'm not sure what the real situation was and if he struck one of his fighters. However, it wouldn't surprise me if she made that statement to divert attention away from the fact that she lost in the first round and is just trying to save face. Being Thailand, there is his version, her version and then there is the true version.

I read it another way. He did assault her (he said it was impossible that he would punish the 23-year-old unreasonably). What's his definition of "unreasonably"? He makes no denial. He also didn't return to Thailand.

The sad thing is, because of a sector of the public wanting the coach to return, pressure has been put on the athlete to withdraw the allegation.

Let a martial arts expert assault a girl, she doesn't matter, his coaching expertise is needed.

There's barely any of the story here, in the Thai news and esp. on Facebook there's a lot more to this. This girl and her mum and coach made a big deal out of this and were basically saying he had to apologise to her in front of the media etc etc the problem is her claims of what he did were ridiculous, she said he hit her 10 times or something and broke her jaw which has led to thousands of comments on Facebook asking why she is talking so much cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

The coach is one of the top 5 in the world and apparently the South Korean team have been making huge offers to him now but many Thai athletes have been trying to get him back along with members of the public and this girl has been basically been called out hard on social media for all the claims she made (I think as usual there was talk of using and compensation right after her claims were made). There's been some other things about her old coach who was in on all this so that he could force his way in as head coach for the Thai team or something.

The coach himself said he's been in Thailand 10 yrs and knows the culture well, he has also said that if he had hit her 10 times she would know about it laugh.png

This story is looking more and more like a stuck up brat and her mum trying to make a name for herself and get some compo

• Like 1

Funny enough, there are now several pages devoted to hating Goy or boycotting her attempt to pursue the matter. I don't support punishment like that however it is common.

The girl is also a brat, like many privileged kids here, unwilling to take responsibility and whenever they get criticized for their actions or apathy they run to their parents or media, to blow it as much out of proportion as possible. Just so people can see how tormented these poor little things are.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"He said he punished an athlete only when he found someone lacked self-discipline and failed to take responsibility for their actions."

Such as coming back to face charges after you physically assault someone who didn't do as well as you wanted them to do?

Not knowing the full story, I must say in my experience here anyway the Thais are one of the least disciplined sport cultures (not to mention the entertainment industry). It will take time to build their understanding of 'practice makes perfect' and 'no guts, no glory'. 10 years ago there were only 3 sport psychologists in Thailand and no such thing as keeping a regimen of diet and nutrition with training. I found this with the national Futsal team and previous TKD team (15 years ago).

I wouldn't be surprised if the coach hit her, but if you can't take the pressure, get out of the contact sport. The only time you're allowed to cry in sports is when you lose the championship.

Not knowing the full story, I must say in my experience here anyway the Thais are one of the least disciplined sport cultures (not to mention the entertainment industry). It will take time to build their understanding of 'practice makes perfect' and 'no guts, no glory'. 10 years ago there were only 3 sport psychologists in Thailand and no such thing as keeping a regimen of diet and nutrition with training. I found this with the national Futsal team and previous TKD team (15 years ago).

I wouldn't be surprised if the coach hit her, but if you can't take the pressure, get out of the contact sport. The only time you're allowed to cry in sports is when you lose the championship.

Anyone know what the height, weight and size difference between the coach and the woman he assaulted is? Edited by Bluespunk

His being a foreigner won't help his case.....if it was a Thai trainer, there would be none of this nonsense.

She was late for the bout...and then got smashed out of the comp........any wonder he was angry at her.....!!

As for the press.....there's more lens people at this press conference than have been at YLs talks of past....stupid people......

Korean dedication to sport is quite well known. Respect for coaches in Korea I can imagine is almost total. Taekwondo is the Korean national martial art.

I can imagine he wouldn't like a stuck up little Thai girl disrespecting him one iota. He shouldn't have hit her, but I can imagine in Korea its quite normal

• Like 1