Place to Stay

uptheos

A friend is coming over August 13th for a few months and would like some ideas of places to stay on a month to month basis, does anyone have any recommendations or perhaps something they own. Apartment/condo/guest house etc.

Criteria:

Central, Santhitam or Huey Kaew seems about right too.... but open to all areas.

Must be on Songtheaw route and easy access for Tuk Tuks

Clean, large bed, quiet place, not low floor

Decent TV with some good channels that accepts HMI lead, maybe a DVD included

Very fast WiFi essential

Electric at reasonable rate

Looking up to 10K month

Any ideas, recommendations

uptheos, you've been here a long time and you may want to go look around the Santhitham area in the streets and sois around the YMCA, the Five Points intersection, etc. Many new serviced apartment/guest houses have been built in that area in the past 2-3 years and they look nice.

I knew someone who stayed at the Mai Guesthouse and the owner (Khun Mai) was very nice and caring (the person had developed a health problem and the owner made sure she got the medical help she needed, contacted her family, visited her in hospital, etc) But I don't know about the wifi!

uptheos, you've been here a long time and you may want to go look around the Santhitham area in the streets and sois around the YMCA, the Five Points intersection, etc. Many new serviced apartment/guest houses have been built in that area in the past 2-3 years and they look nice.

I knew someone who stayed at the Mai Guesthouse and the owner (Khun Mai) was very nice and caring (the person had developed a health problem and the owner made sure she got the medical help she needed, contacted her family, visited her in hospital, etc) But I don't know about the wifi!

Thank you Nancy and I will have a look there. In fact I stayed in that area 1994, but it has changed a lot since then.

I haven't walked that area for a while and maybe it's something I should do just to get re-aquainted. Thanks for the suggestion of Mai Guesthouse, could you possibly point me in the direction from say the roundabout (5 point intersection)

Yes on the road from the roundabout to the ymca my friend has stayed at three, there is sunshine house, then a ghastly pink colored one, and now he is at a new one other side of sunshine, brand new. I don't think he has paid over 6 for any of them on a monthly basis.

All very good standard.

Worth a ride out.

Yes on the road from the roundabout to the ymca my friend has stayed at three, there is sunshine house, then a ghastly pink colored one, and now he is at a new one other side of sunshine, brand new. I don't think he has paid over 6 for any of them on a monthly basis.

All very good standard.

Worth a ride out.

Thanks very much for the info, EC thumbsup.gif

PS Do you know if any have WiFi?

Edited by uptheos

I would expect all those places have some sort of wifi and there are internet shops in the area. It's a nice little area -- fairly close to Tanin, very close to Kad Suan Kaew. Steps away from the YMCA if someone wants to take language lessons. Many options for little restaurants, street food, little bars -- a good Thai neighborhood feel, but still foreigner friendly, without feeling like it's overrun with tourists. Nice area for someone on his own, staying a few months, or just getting set up in Chiang Mai.

If internet access is really important, uptheos, your friend could go to an AIS Telewiz office and buy one of those dongle thingies with prepaid 3G aircard time and have very fast internet speeds anywhere. You just plug the dongle into your computer and have very fast, reliable internet access.

I would expect all those places have some sort of wifi and there are internet shops in the area. It's a nice little area -- fairly close to Tanin, very close to Kad Suan Kaew. Steps away from the YMCA if someone wants to take language lessons. Many options for little restaurants, street food, little bars -- a good Thai neighborhood feel, but still foreigner friendly, without feeling like it's overrun with tourists. Nice area for someone on his own, staying a few months, or just getting set up in Chiang Mai.

If internet access is really important, uptheos, your friend could go to an AIS Telewiz office and buy one of those dongle thingies with prepaid 3G aircard time and have very fast internet speeds anywhere. You just plug the dongle into your computer and have very fast, reliable internet access.

Thanks Nancy, I had forgotten all about those 'little dongle things' that some people use, this might solve on criteria for him.

If he is staying a few months and needs fast net connections, it is my impression that most of these rooms allow the renters to install their own internet line. Having a dedicated line is very important for some people who use the net to work.