What documents to keep in car while driving?

I've had a car for three years now, and have thankfully never had an accident or been stopped by the police. But I just renewed my auto policy again, and it occurs to me that I have no idea what documents I'm required to keep in the car, if I ever have a problem. I assume this has been covered in this forum in the past, but I found nothing obvious. Is there a simple list someplace?

I only ever take copy of passport, driving licence nothing else, blue book is still with the bank.

You should keep a copy of the blue book in the car as proof of ownership even if it is with the bank/finance company.

• Like 2

I only ever take copy of passport, driving licence nothing else, blue book is still with the bank.

You should keep a copy of the blue book in the car as proof of ownership even if it is with the bank/finance company.

Why is this? I have never seen the blue book let alone a copy of it, and never been asked for it and I have been stopped well over a hundred times, both in cars/trucks and bikes and have never been asked for it ever.

• Like 2

Why is this? I have never seen the blue book let alone a copy of it, and never been asked for it and I have been stopped well over a hundred times, both in cars/trucks and bikes and have never been asked for it ever.

The company are required to supply you with a copy and I've always gotten one when purchasing a vehicle. As for a copy in the car, you've just been lucky. There have been quite a few reports where members say they have had to present it at a stop. I've had to show mine also before and if you are in an accident it will be needed.

It is compulsory for a driver to have their driving licence and a copy of the vehicle registration document (Blue Book or Lem Tabian)

Source

Well in over 10 years never happened, even when we were hit by a pickup, insurance man came and sorted it all out, NO blue book requested. So I don't intend to start now.
  • Like 1

I have never seen the blue book let alone a copy of it,....

How do you get your yearly tax disc then? And your obligatory government insurance? And your proper insurance?

Perhaps he just thinks the car is his....

As for keeping the blue book in the car.... No, only a copy in case of theft.

How do you get your yearly tax disc then? And your obligatory government insurance? And your proper insurance?

No blue book required of either of those.

Edit: maybe for tax disc blue book is required, but the finance company provides the disc.

Edited by stevenl

And others are stopped every other year and ARE asked for a blue book (copy).

A mate was quite angry that he had to pay for not being able to show.

• Like 1

No blue book required of either of those.

Edit: maybe for tax disc blue book is required, but the finance company provides the disc.

All done by the bank

And others are stopped every other year and ARE asked for a blue book (copy).

A mate was quite angry that he had to pay for not being able to show.

Fined for not having the registration book? I think you mate is telling you porkiesrolleyes.gif

Keep a copy of the most recent blue book page never the original. If you haven't seen it before I imagine it is financed. If that's the case there will be a different form for registration, that is what you would need.

Simple List

Blue book

Insurance documents

Tax sticker

Very simple. smile.png

Requote with suggestion but should be verified.

Blue Book (Photo copy should be sufficient).

Insurance documents (Insurance card and accident report paper).

Valid Tax Sticker (Posted on left top windshield).

I don't think you want to keep your original blue book in the car, photo copy should be sufficient. It's what I do.

Honestly, I don't see a reason to even bring the blue book, but I do have my photocopy in the car just because "everyone" does it.

If you buy the car on finance, the car does not belong to you it belongs to the finance company/bank. The blue book is kept by the owner (the bank) and the insurance and tax is handled by them they send a copy of the insurance certificate and tax each year when due. Furthermore if you get caught on a red light cam or other police camera, the fine is sent to the owner (the bank) for payment who then forward it to you.

In your home country if you finance a vehicle through the bank and the bank hold's your original vehicle title, do you just

pretend to be clueless when the police ask for your registration? Doesn't seem very bright for an adult.

If you live in Bangkok or one of the main tourist areas, when you get stopped by the police on a motorbike or driving a car,

they often assume that you are a tourist and the vehicle is rented. With a rented vehicle there is no way you'd have a copy

of the green book/blue book. It would be ludicrous for the police to ask for proof of ownership of a rented vehicle.

It is normal procedure (as in your home country) for the police to ask for driver's license and (copy of) green book or blue

book as a routine check. So, if you are not a tourist and you own the vehicle, why in h*ll would you want to gamble on the

police not following standard procedure? Is it some kind of ego trip?

So many farang come to live in LOS and then they somehow want to play juvenile games with routine procedures.

Boggles the mind.

• Like 1

MYKTHEMIN, you conclude that since you have never ever been asked to show your blue book copy that you therefore

don't need to carry it -- such thinking is embarrassingly silly. I've been driving for 25 years and always carry a copy of my

insurance policy with me. If I concluded that because I've never been asked to show it, that therefore no need to carry it,

I would only be inviting problems.

In your home country if you finance a vehicle through the bank and the bank hold's your original vehicle title, do you just

pretend to be clueless when the police ask for your registration? Doesn't seem very bright for an adult.

If you live in Bangkok or one of the main tourist areas, when you get stopped by the police on a motorbike or driving a car,

they often assume that you are a tourist and the vehicle is rented. With a rented vehicle there is no way you'd have a copy

of the green book/blue book. It would be ludicrous for the police to ask for proof of ownership of a rented vehicle.

It is normal procedure (as in your home country) for the police to ask for driver's license and (copy of) green book or blue

book as a routine check. So, if you are not a tourist and you own the vehicle, why in h*ll would you want to gamble on the

police not following standard procedure? Is it some kind of ego trip?

So many farang come to live in LOS and then they somehow want to play juvenile games with routine procedures.

Boggles the mind.

• Like 1

Also, if you buy a new car and are on the red plates for a few months (about 3 for us), as well as having all the listed things and not driving after dark etc, there is a section in the book you have to fill in that details your travel or journey.

My wife was driving from up country to pattaya and was stopped and fined b 200 for not completing the details of her trip in the book.

I've been stopped by police several times in and out of Bangkok. I find out that smile is the most important document together with apologizing behavior. Sometimes I argue with them in funny manner and situation can get very funny. Police already know me in the area where I live so usually they don't stop me when I drive motorcycle. Several funny stories to be told but actually it is not good to reveal them online.

My advice: Just show respect and never argue for "real" justice. You will get away with the situation very easily with right kind of mindset and 100-400 baht. Sometimes they let me go without fine. Driving license is all I've ever needed during 7 years of stay. Both car and mc.

Edited by Topah

To abide by the LAW, you must always have the following documents:

blue book of the car (car registration book) (original) and sticker

insurance documents (originals)

tax sticker (original)

tax payment receipt (original)

drivers license (original)

passport first page with photo

passport page with visa

last TM card

last 90 days report if any

these can be photocopies only when you have a thai drivers license

In your room/appartment:home you should always have a photocopy of all these documents and even better have also a scan of them in your computer

Despite all complaints and jokes, Thailand is improving and if you don't want to face problems, try to be as "legal" as you can

You'll help Thailand and yourself and .... foreigners.