Criminal record check from Scotland Yard?

For the past two years I've visited Thailand on a Non-Imm visa based on retirement at over 50 years old.

Now the rules have changed, according to what's stated on the Thai Consulate website (London), I need a criminal record check which can only be provided by Scotland Yard!!!

Has anyone any experience of obtaining this document? I'm sure Scot Yard have got more important things to do than spend their time issuing these documents for people planning a trip to Thailand?

Thanks.

You only need a police record check, which is a routine request for the police, if you apply for a O-A visa, not if you apply for a non-O visa.

Make sure you understand the difference and apply for the visa that suits you.

You are looking at the requirements to get a OA visa. It also require a medical check.

If want a multiple entry non-o visa you will not get one useless you are 65 or over and getting a government pension in the UK now and that would have to be applied for at one of the consulates.

You might be able to get a single entry non-o at one of the consulates. The embassy will only do the OA visa.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I'm after the multiple entry O-A visa due to being 52 years old.

As far as the medical check goes, there's a standard form which can be printed off from the Thai Consulate website. I'm sure my GP will be more than happy to complete this (for a fee no doubt!)

So how does one obtain the police clearance? Do you just waltz in to your local nick and ask? Why does the Thai Consulate specify Scotland Yard? Do the police charge for this document?

Thanks.

The certificate you need is obtainable from the website, phone them first as there are two certificates ,tell them you need it for Thailand. My wife and I used them for our O-A visas without any problems, local police stations and Scotland yard no longer issue clearance certificates.

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

The certificate you need is obtainable from the website, phone them first as there are two certificates ,tell them you need it for Thailand. My wife and I used them for our O-A visas without any problems, local police stations and Scotland yard no longer issue clearance certificates.

http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

For Thailand he needs to apply for a subject access disclosure request as described at http://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx

I was charged £10 for this as part of my OA visa application in 2008 - plus a further £10 for my GP's signature of the medical certificate on the basis of a "thorough" examination which consisted of her eyes moving from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet!

The OP should also bear in mind that all application & supporting docs for an OA visa will need to be certified by a notary public (which cost me a whopping £140 in 2008!). Further info on the Notaries Society's website at http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/.

• Like 1

I believe Mario and OJAS are correct correct

Thames Valley Police - Data Protection requests

How to access your personal data held on the Police National Computer (including details of prosecution/conviction history) Use this form to request a check for a criminal conviction history. How to access your personal data held on Thames Valley Police local systems Do not use this form to request a check for a criminal conviction history – see previous paragraph. If your UK employer has asked you to provide a copy of your criminal record – or proof that you don’t have one – apply to Disclosure Scotland via the Disclosure Scotland website

I have contacted the Disclosure Scotland (contact number on website) people today and spent convictions are not on on the basic check if the subject was either under 18 years old at the time of conviction, or the disposal of the case was not custodial sentence... things start to change if someone has had a sentence of 30months (or more) custody..

As OJAS said the "SUBJECT ACCESS" at your local police station (for £10) is the way to go,, you may wait up to 40 days for that.

Good luck

You are looking at the requirements to get a OA visa. It also require a medical check.

If want a multiple entry non-o visa you will not get one useless you are 65 or over and getting a government pension in the UK now and that would have to be applied for at one of the consulates.

You might be able to get a single entry non-o at one of the consulates. The embassy will only do the OA visa.

Nonsense, the requirement is aged 50 or higher and funding can be either showing 800k baht or 65k a month and it is irrelevant where that income comes from.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Nonsense, the requirement is aged 50 or higher and funding can be either showing 800k baht or 65k a month and it is irrelevant where that income comes from.

Not for a multiple entry non-o visa in the UK. It is how I wrote it. The embassy will not approve them unless you are 65 for over.

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.

Evidence required:

a) Current “DWP Pension Statement” showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum necessary)"

From Hull website: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20140312100006

As far as the medical check goes, there's a standard form which can be printed off from the Thai Consulate website. I'm sure my GP will be more than happy to complete this (for a fee no doubt!)

So how does one obtain the police clearance? Do you just waltz in to your local nick and ask? Why does the Thai Consulate specify Scotland Yard? Do the police charge for this document?

Thanks.

Contact your local station they will give you a form, fill it out return it to them they will foward to Scotland Yard. Then the Yard will reply to you direct. costs about a tenner.

Thanks.

I hope that you have better luck than I did with my local GP Surgery.

Submitted the downloaded form from the Thai Embassy on Monday of this week as part of the process to obtain a OA Visa. I got a phone call later that same day from the Surgery Manager who told me that she had shown it to some of the Doctors and under no circumstances would they sign off the form. Gave the reasons that they could not prove without blood tests that I did not have the various listed illnesses and this would not be covered on the NHS also had some concerns about the actual wording of the form.

The Surgery Manager gave the telephone number for a private clinic. I gave them a call and they quoted me in excess of Five Hundred and Fifty Pounds to do the consultation, blood work and sign off the form.

As a result the OA visa plans cancelled. I got a two entry tourist visa and will get the medical form signed off in Thailand before I return at the end of November and submit a OA visa request in January for next year.

I hope you have better luck.

Thanks.

I hope that you have better luck than I did with my local GP Surgery.

Submitted the downloaded form from the Thai Embassy on Monday of this week as part of the process to obtain a OA Visa. I got a phone call later that same day from the Surgery Manager who told me that she had shown it to some of the Doctors and under no circumstances would they sign off the form. Gave the reasons that they could not prove without blood tests that I did not have the various listed illnesses and this would not be covered on the NHS also had some concerns about the actual wording of the form.

The Surgery Manager gave the telephone number for a private clinic. I gave them a call and they quoted me in excess of Five Hundred and Fifty Pounds to do the consultation, blood work and sign off the form.

As a result the OA visa plans cancelled. I got a two entry tourist visa and will get the medical form signed off in Thailand before I return at the end of November and submit a OA visa request in January for next year.

I hope you have better luck.

Not for a multiple entry non-o visa in the UK. It is how I wrote it. The embassy will not approve them unless you are 65 for over.

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.

Evidence required:

a) Current DWP Pension Statement showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum necessary)"

From Hull website: http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=20140312100006

Hello Joe

Your input as always is appreciated by all of us.

By coincidence, I have been looking at the UK websites today and reading old ThaiVisa threads, but I am still confused. Please help!

I have been coming to Thailand since January 2012 on a succession of tourist visas. I fly back to the UK on 1st August and will then return to Thailand on 1st October. This time I would like to stay in Thailand for a year or more, so a triple entry visa lasting 9 months does not fit in with my plans.

Applying for the O-A visa in the UK is unattractive, because of the need for medical and criminal records. According to OJAS's helpful reply above, these will need to be certified by a Notary Public. He quoted a 2008 figure of £140. Ouch!

I have today been toying with the idea of returning to Thailand on a single entry tourist visa, and then seeking to convert it to a Non O. I will not then need to get the medical and criminal records. Subsequently, I will apply for an extension of stay, using a combination of income and savings in my Thai bank account.

What I do not understand though is that in the UK, you can only get a Non O if you are over 65, but in Thailand, it seems that I can convert to a Non - O even though I not over 65; you just need to be over 50.

Why the difference or am I confusing two different things?

There is one other point I do not understand. It does not relate directly to the criminal record check of this thread, but kind of follows on from previous comments about notary services. As it is a minor point, it is not worth starting a fresh thread.

If you are an American citizen, you must make an appointment to travel to the US Embassy to swear an affidavit in front of a designated official. Click HERE for the embassy website. You can print off and complete their standard form, but you must sign the form in front of a Consul.

Fee: $50 i.e. 1592 THB

The British Embassy does not require you to attend. Click HERE. At the top of their notice, they say: "There is no need to attend. Please make your application by post." You simply print off their form, fill it in, sign it, and send it to them with the original documents in support. The Embassy then returns to you the original documents, together with a standard letter, addressed to Thai Immigration confirming the amount of your pension income.

Fee: 2620 THB (includes fee of 100 THB for them to reply by EMS)

Is there a reason for the different requirements? Both Embassies are seeking to satisfy Thai Immigration rules, so it seems strange therefore that there is not a uniform practice.