In a bit of a pickle - Help please!

Hi

I hope that someone here can help guide me in the right direction, because I feel totally confused right now!!!

Ok, so, I have been in Thailand for the past yea, firstly on on a tourist visa, which was then converted to non-b when I was working as an English teacher. Following that (after end of contract) I used 2 x 30 day visa exempt border runs, then a 6 month tourist visa from Laos, which is currently coming to an end.

I am due to get married to a Thai later this year (we are considering moving the paperwork forward but I don't think there would be enough time/money right now before end of this visa), and I am due to take up some teaching at a local school soon - but it is unlikely that I will have all the paperwork together to get a non-b before the end of this visa...

My visa expires 27th July, I am 27, from the UK, and currently residing in South Thailand...

Can anyone please help guide me in the right direction as to what I should do? I just don't know!!!

Thank you so much

Try to get the paperwork in order to go and apply for a non-B visa. For a teacher that should be possible.

If necessary you can get an extra 7 days at the end of your tourist visa extension. A note from the school explaining that they are working on the paperwork for a non-B visa might do wonders.

• Like 1

Scenarios similar to this are going to cause a lot of ESL teachers to leave. What is going to happen at the end of the school year as the contracts finish? Previously if the teachers were changing agent/school, they would've hopped over the border for a stamp to cover the holiday period and time taken to arrange new paperwork. Unfortunately chaos must ensue before the authorities think up a work-around.

Scenarios similar to this are going to cause a lot of ESL teachers to leave. What is going to happen at the end of the school year as the contracts finish? Previously if the teachers were changing agent/school, they would've hopped over the border for a stamp to cover the holiday period and time taken to arrange new paperwork. Unfortunately chaos must ensue before the authorities think up a work-around.

What makes you think that they could not do a border hop now after being on an extension of stay. They have not and will not do away with visa exempt entries.

There is a ongoing topic about being able to extend visa exempt entries for 30 days after August 29.

work visas/extensions are easier than marriage.

I think that many people that have gone through an extension application based upon working (not teaching) might disagree with you. The stack of paperwork is about twice a thick. At most immigration offices you will have the same 30 day under consideration stamp.

A non-o visa based upon upon marriage only requires copies of 3 things. How many are needed for a non-b based upon working?

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips so far.. I've got another twist in the tale...!

It seems as though the school (it is a local small school) probably can't afford to hire me just yet, but they may get a grant in the future allowing them to. In the meantime, I was thinking about volunteering at the school as I would really like to stay where I am right now and would really like to give something back to the local community here which looks after me so well.

Tomorrow I will meet with the Director to discuss the options available - but I would like to know, would this qualify me for the 'non-o volunteer' visa?

Thanks again :)

It seems as though the school (it is a local small school) probably can't afford to hire me just yet, but they may get a grant in the future allowing them to. In the meantime, I was thinking about volunteering at the school as I would really like to stay where I am right now and would really like to give something back to the local community here which looks after me so well.

Tomorrow I will meet with the Director to discuss the options available - but I would like to know, would this qualify me for the 'non-o volunteer' visa?

Thanks again smile.png

If you get a work permit as volunteer then you and can get a non-o visa and then an extension of stay as a volunteer teacher.

Thanks again smile.png

If you get a work permit as volunteer then you and can get a non-o visa and then an extension of stay as a volunteer teacher.

Would I need the work permit first? Or can I get a single entry non-o somewhere (penang?) , which would then be extended to a multiple entry when I get the work permit (within 3 months?)

Would I need the letter from the MOE if applying for volunteer visa? I've looked at a few embassy websites and blogs/sites, everyone seems to say you only need this when applying for non-b to work not for non-o volunteer- apparently only the usual docs & a letter from the school.

MOE is Ministry of education.

You will probably need a letter from both the school and the area education office stating you will volunteer for the school. (This needs approval from the local area education office).

Do get a volunteer contract, might be useful to show and take a signed copy of the school directors ID-card with you as part of the paperwork.

Thanks for all the advice... As I suspected - the school is rather slow getting everything together (as I have experienced at many schools!!).. The Director is currently away on business.. Hopefully he should be back soon but I doubt I will have everything together before my visa expires - so I guess I am best off extending for 7 more days at immigration and hoping that we can get everything together before that time elapses - correct?