Metropolis 107fm

hm1973

Just to let you guys know that the station will go off-air on 31st July. The MCOT company who own and manage the station have decided to pull the plug on the station. They will also radically change 95FM which is a Thai country music station and is rated in the top 5 stations in Bangkok - figure that one out!!!!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Virgin 105 and now 107 going down the tubes just shows the local attitudes towards visitors etc.

Reminds me of Mainland China 20 years ago !!!!!!!!

Sentimental 105 was my favorite station, since they pulled the plug and replaced with thai political talk show, there is nothing much but all the craps.

No $hit?

Where did you here this? They do play good tunes and haven't mentioned anything on the air-I listen everyday.

If true, that's really going to $uck

I know because I work for the station. It's a shame because I know it is a well listened to station. According to MCOT though, they had trouble selling advertising on the station because of it being in English language. What they have failed to do is a survey of listeners. They would probably find that around 70% are Thai's. Any competitions run in the past are dominated by Thai winners and SMS's and calls received into the station are mostly from Thai's who enjoy listening to the English speakers. Also the fact that 107 had little or no marketing staff was not identified by MCOT.

None.

It's really a shame. I always tuned to 107 when in the car, great format, great variety of news sources. Music was allright too. I like to listen to their webcast when I m around the house. I bet a lot of tourists were tuning in as well.

It's really a shame. I always tuned to 107 when in the car, great format, great variety of news sources. Music was allright too. I like to listen to their webcast when I m around the house. I bet a lot of tourists were tuning in as well.

The tunes are ok, but news sucks and vjs are hel_l beyond their job - most boring I've ever heard with some serious personality issues - "I saw that..." "I heard that...." " I'd like to do that ..."

Bring new fresh blood, I'd say

This is truly sad. I enjoy the station, enjoy the music and I really enjoy the D.J.'s. I like the DJ's because they are a little quirky.

Like all radio stations, about 1/2 the time the music isn't too my liking, but it's the surprise element of hearing an old song and thinking--wow, I haven't heard that song for years!!

This station will be sorely missed.

This is truly sad. I enjoy the station, enjoy the music and I really enjoy the D.J.'s. I like the DJ's because they are a little quirky.

Like all radio stations, about 1/2 the time the music isn't too my liking, but it's the surprise element of hearing an old song and thinking--wow, I haven't heard that song for years!!

This station will be sorely missed.

Just when I thought thailands air-waves were improving for english speaking foreigners visiting thailand...

• 2 weeks later...
Can always listen to the 12:30 pm news from Radio Thailand. Only problem, with their English I do not understand a word.

What I will miss most, is the BBC news that comes on at 05.00 for an hour, a nice easy way to wake up and find out what was going on in the world. That Thai English news is not worth the paper it is printed on, mainly propaganda, sounds like something from the 1940's. I will really miss this station when it goes, I will have to be MP3's from now on and the internet when a get home, it seems that the latter is the only way for a foreigner to keeps in touch with entertainment and news!

• 2 weeks later...

Have been listening to 107 all day and there has been no mention that it's their last day!

In fact, all the D.J.'s are their usual chirpy selves and for all intents and purposes it seems like just another day.

Is the OP correct?

More likely, additional sponsorship has been found or the station management (MCOT) have deferred closing it down; at least for a while.

Have been listening to 107 all day and there has been no mention that it's their last day!

In fact, all the D.J.'s are their usual chirpy selves and for all intents and purposes it seems like just another day.

Is the OP correct?

More likely, additional sponsorship has been found or the station management (MCOT) have deferred closing it down; at least for a while.

...their DJs are not the smartest cookies in the jar so probably don't even know themselves.

Sorry Guys, I should have updated you sooner.

All the DJ's have been kept on until 15th August. After this date the station format will change to current international hits. It will be a bilingual station using young good-looking Thai DJ's to appeal to the younger female market. It will be run in conjuntion with Seed 97.5 FM which is also owned by MCOT.

We have received hundreds of SMS's and emails from listeners complaining at this change in format but I feel it is all in vain.

All the DJ's have been kept on until 15th August. After this date the station format will change to current international hits. It will be a bilingual station using young good-looking Thai DJ's to appeal to the younger female market. It will be run in conjuntion with Seed 97.5 FM which is also owned by MCOT.

We have received hundreds of SMS's and emails from listeners complaining at this change in format but I feel it is all in vain.

Young good lookingThai Djs to appeal to the younger female market..............................on radio :o:D:D

I have recently discovered 106 FM, no anoying DJs, they seem to play 1 farang song to 2 Thai popular songs, not so bad.

Unfortunately I don't get a signal from 106 FM down the road in Pattaya... :o

Is 95.5 still going strong with modern Thai and international rock? I haven't been able to pick that up down here either.

I was riding a taxi today, and if I was not misstaken, the driver had the 107-station running, and it was in english for sure...... I thought it was terminated ?

Yes, still on the air, but see post #20 above.

Good old sentimental English songs from weekend FM 98.5, for those who love oldies with fond memory, this is the right station for you.

Jim Davisson is on 98.5 FM (Breeze FM) every Sunday evening from 21.00 until midnight. He used to play a lot of stuff from the forties and fifties, but I noticed last week that there was more contemporary stuff played (sixties and seventies - Tom Jones etc.)

I make a point of trying to catch the show every Sunday - it can be heard on the internet - and JD is probably one of the most 'laid-back' and easy-going DJs you could ever wish to hear!

Does anyone know, just out of curiosity, of any other Western DJs currently broadcasting on the radio here in Thailand, apart from the 107 Metopolis and Radio Bangkok crews?

Does Smooth 105 have Western DJ's? Is Paul Jackson still broadcasting anywhere?

The 15th. August will be another sad day for radio in Bangkok.

You would have thought that MCOT with all their financing and clout could have maintained at least one proper English language radio station here with western presenters and a musical genre that is evidently popular with Thais and foreigners alike!

After the 15th - foreigners and many of the existing Thai listeners (of which there are apparently many) will surely desert the station in their droves rather than endure the mind-numbing tedium of listening to these 'young good-looking Thai' DJs with their hip banality and sugar-coated music.

MCOT have five other Thai language stations in their stable. Why destroy what is probably the only other realistic alternative to these - Metropolis - catering, in the main, to the tastes of the very large number of expats and residents here who listen presently to the station?

Looks like the trend of squeezing foreigners out of the FM radio market is continuing, by design or not, unabated! :o:D:D

Anyone know of any other Western DJ's currently broadcasting on FM here in Thailand, other than those currently on 107 Metropolis? Does anyone listen to Smooth FM (105) or have any info. about it?

Incidentally, a friend of mine presents a show on Nation Community Radio (95.75) every Thursday evening (21.00 until 24.00 BKK time) which can be heard on the internet - go to NationRadioOnline and click on the box on LHS at the bottom of the page. Plays three hours of Beatles - but Thai language interspersing the songs!

Edited by bulmercke