Metropolis 107fm

hm1973

Curious mix of new songs isn't it? Would a Thai language radio station get away with playing some of those rap songs translated into Thai? I wonder.

They've obviously accepted the record companies' gutbuckets....most of the stuff is covers and remixes...as thet don't say who the artists are the record companies won't sell anything either. As the ads are crap they won't have any income either so what was the point?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep,

re-tune your dials - the only way to go.

Will MCOT get the message and change the format if the ratings down down so much? Probably not.

But at least you won't have to listen to that Thai dude repeat the same BS jingle after every song (Is he called Edward? - you know the one, he used to be on Ch11 'Newsline', the chap with the overly pretentious English / American accent). :o

I can see him with that ever-so-smug little smile - arrrgghhh. Truly the MOST annoying person in LOS.

OK, OK... his English is very good, but he comes across as so pretentious I feel overcome by a need to inflict severe physical pain on him :D:D:D:D

Sorry for the slightly 'off topic' rant, :D

Feel much more 'sabai sabai' after getting that off my chest! :D

Jimbo

Give the new guys a chance! I have been listen to the station via the net for a few days, and it sounds like they will come up with something very soon. They might just need some time. MCOT is promoting them on all Thai TV channels every hour. Fingers crossed.

I have missed something? I've only listened sporadically in the motor and not once heard a live DJ, just recorded voices in between tracks. (Mainly that aforementioned Thia man)

I stand corrected, but like the chap who worked there posted, I thought they planned to have only techies in the studio, not any live DJ's.

I mean, surely they would have recruited DJ's before going on air, wouldn't they? Again, I'm just after info, and stand corrected on all of the above.

Cheers

Jim

:o

Give the new guys a chance! I have been listen to the station via the net for a few days, and it sounds like they will come up with something very soon. They might just need some time. MCOT is promoting them on all Thai TV channels every hour. Fingers crossed.

What pray do you expect them to do? A complete rethink

??? :D

As for radio Pattaya on the net...what use is that to me in my car? If I want radio on the net I can tune into EL radio all over the world. I've listened to 103 in the car and it's crap!

There is also a very small footprint, what use is that to me if I'm in Bkk or even Chonburi?

Edited by wilko

Well I for one would love a replacement to 107FM. I'm thinking of starting up a new radio station with the same kind of music (50s to 80s, MAYBE 90s).

Apparently the cost for the radio frequency is about 4 million baht per month. I'm assuming with music licensing, wages, etc the total cost would come to about 10 million baht per month. I'm fairly positive we could raise half of this (5 MB) through advertising, since MCOT did so with 107 (they changed the format because they were able to secure a 10 million baht advert deal).

Any angel investors out there who would want to put money into this? The expat community would be a great sell to many business/corporations wishing to advertise, but we need to prove we have the people listening, which means we need to be in operation for a bit (I think a month at most would do).

What do you guys think?

J-Zone's idea is good, but don't think for one moment that selling advertising is easy. I work for a magazine and it's VERY tough right now. We have five good titles and we're struggling to achieve 2 million baht per month in ad revenue - and a proportion of that is barter deals.

I agree there is a market for an English radio station, such as Metropolis 107 was, but it will need someone to make a substantial investment.

Incidentally, I still listen to Met throught the night and agree with comments about the explicit nature of some of the lyrics. I think if MCOT understood what was being said they would be shocked - but that's the problem, with noone with the necessary English Language experience they probably don't.

Interestingly, New York's WCBS-FM - a long established 'oldies' station with much loved and revered deejays went the same way as 107 Metropolis in January 2003.

The format and all the existing DJs were ditched unceremoniously.

It's format was changed, without warning, from oldies to the JACK format (current hits interspersed with eighties and seventies and nineties). The loyal listeners weren't given any warning whatsoever, and the deejays not much more......just a day or so!

In fact, Micky Dolenz of the Monkees fame celebrated his hundredth show with the station at a New York restaurant (on air) that very morning before the public announcement was made, completely ignorant of the fact that his days as a regular weekday presenter at WCBS-FM were finished.

"Out with the old and in with the new."

After the transition to the new format, pre-recorded segments preceeded each song....until.....after a few weeks 'real' deejays were allowed to make their presence felt on the airways........ SOUNDS FAMILIAR?

Following the format change at WCBS-FM there was a public outcry from loyal listeners.

However this didn't make much difference with the 'powers that be' at the station. The cast was dye!

A great station was gone forever.

RIP WCBS-FM........107 METROPOLIS...........

Edited by bulmercke