where to report when staying private?

i took one year off from my work back home in europe and plan to stay here as a tourist until the end of the year. i'm currently on my first entry of my second triple-entry-tourist-visa (which i obtained when i went back home to europe for two weeks in june). i'm currently staying private with thais in bangkok which i intend to do for the rest of my trip as far as i'm in thailand. when i entered thailand in june i gave this adress to the immigration.

now i plan to extend my first entry for another 30 days at wattana and understand that i have to prove where i stay. how am i supposed to do this when i stay with thai friends? also, i kind of recall having read somewhere, that my thai hosts should report having me at their home as well, but i'm not really sure about this. if so anyone knows how and where they are supposed to report to?

would be great if someone could give me some advice on this. thanks a lot :)

already found it but thanks (again smile.png). probably too much hassle for now as my hosts are tenants themselves and we would need to get the owner to fill out this form i think. i will talk about it to them but really don't want them to have too much work because of me wink.png

Edited by battambang

I suggest you have your friend write a letter in Thai, inviting you to stay at his house during the period of your visit.

If it is never asked for - nothing lost, but one day it could help, if you have several stamps and get asked questions.

i like this idea. thanks very much. do you think we should add a copy of their lease to it? it's just one page and would prove that they are entitled to stay at the given adress.

While I doubt they will look at it, carrying a few extra pieces of irrelevant paper when traveling is no burden - better to have it than not.

Anything you think may help ease your passage through immigration...

At very least carry 20k THB or equivalent forex, that is enforced.

yes, i will make sure i'll have that cash with me though i'm not too happy carrying 20 k bath with me when traveling through laos or cambodia for a week but i'm aware i will have to.

i also already got myself a translation of a document from my work back home stating that i'm on unpaid holiday right now which can't be extended so i need to get back to work in europe around january 1st. plus my return flight ticket to europe. plus my travel insurance for staying outside my country valid for exactly this period. plus bank documents. credit card statements. and so on ...

drives me a little crazy at the moment, but i just don't want to jeopardize my one-year-trip to thailand as this gives me such a great opportunity to find out if i'd like to stay here longterm with the proper visa someday in the future.

anyway, thanks a lot for your advice! i really appreciate it :)

Last time in Thailand, February, I took both TM28 and TM30 to Chiangmai Immigration. It took visits to 4 different offices before any body recognized them and the officer who acknowledged them commented that he had heard of the forms but never before seen them, He was about 50 with pips up to his lugs.

thanks ubonjoe. i hope this will do it smile.png

what about my hosts? aren't locals supposed to report somewhere to when having someone from outside the country staying with them?

All hotels and house masters that have a farang resident are required to complete a form TM30 and submit it to immigration. The process is simple and costs nothing but if found out and persued, the person whose home you are staying in can be fined 2000 baht for non-compliance. I know this because I recently did my 90 day report and the lady asked if my wife, whose house I live in, had filed the form. My wife explained that we never even knew about this and though it only applied to hotels. WRONG. The immig lady was nice enough not to impose the fine but said we must complete and submit the form which she supplied.

Just put the address on your application form. Chaeng Wattana does not ask for proof of address when applying for a 30 day extension of a tourist visa entry.

Is he actually applying for an extension ?

Doesn't sound like it to me.

Sounds to me like he wants to use his second entry of a triple entry tourist visa, right ?

Just put the address on your application form. Chaeng Wattana does not ask for proof of address when applying for a 30 day extension of a tourist visa entry.

Is he actually applying for an extension ?

Doesn't sound like it to me.

Sounds to me like he wants to use his second entry of a triple entry tourist visa, right ?

Maybe I'm wrong.

Is he saying that he wants to extend his first entry of a triple entry visa ?

If that's the case in the current visa situation, he could conceivably do this, then use the second entry, extend again, etc.

You think that Thai immigration would let him do this ?

Wonder what the rest of his passport looks like ?

Is this his first time here ?

Has he been what they call a 'visa runner' ?

Or does he look legit ?

Also a letter from his friends (in Thai of course) wouldn't hurt to have along as well.

That way Immigration has a Thai that could be held accountable.

Just my how ever many cents......wai.gif

what about my hosts? aren't locals supposed to report somewhere to when having someone from outside the country staying with them?

All hotels and house masters that have a farang resident are required to complete a form TM30 and submit it to immigration. The process is simple and costs nothing but if found out and persued, the person whose home you are staying in can be fined 2000 baht for non-compliance. I know this because I recently did my 90 day report and the lady asked if my wife, whose house I live in, had filed the form. My wife explained that we never even knew about this and though it only applied to hotels. WRONG. The immig lady was nice enough not to impose the fine but said we must complete and submit the form which she supplied.

Interesting.

So my wife and I live in the UAE, she is a resident with me here, but we (she) has a house in Thailand we go to on vacation for a couple of weeks at a time.

Since I don't apply for visa extensions (just use the 30 days or would get a 90 day at the UAE Thai Embassy), would we technically need to apply the TM30? Don't know when they would catch on, especially since I usually put the Bangkok hotel that I stay at for the first few and last few nights of the trip.

Interesting.

So my wife and I live in the UAE, she is a resident with me here, but we (she) has a house in Thailand we go to on vacation for a couple of weeks at a time.

Since I don't apply for visa extensions (just use the 30 days or would get a 90 day at the UAE Thai Embassy), would we technically need to apply the TM30? Don't know when they would catch on, especially since I usually put the Bangkok hotel that I stay at for the first few and last few nights of the trip.

Don't worry about the TM30.

The only reports of wanting a TM30 was at some odd immigration offices when applying for a one year extension.

• Like 1

There is a report of a foreigner staying but it is seldom enforced for home owners. It just requires a TM30 form being submitted to immigration.

I'm not so sure about the "seldom enforced" part................our (very pleasant and helpful) local Immigration Officer has been to our house socially on several occasions and met with some of our UK friends who were motorcycling around Thailand at the time.

Now, every time we go for 90 day reporting, extensions etc. she reminds us that if anyone stays at our house we (my wife) must report the matter to her office within 24hrs.

She's even given us a pamphlet about the requirement (all in Thai, of course) and a website address to enable us to do it online - sadly, that is also entirely in Thai so we've made a personal visit to her office, each time we had any friends staying over, to complete the necessary form.

I was at Mukdahan Immigration last Fri. for a 30 day extension on my TR visa. I used our house address for the location of my stay because my wife was with me. My wife had to give her ID card to the Officer so he could photocopy it and had her sign it. No mention of any form, I learned something here. You might want to get a photocopy with a statement and signature for just in case they ask for some proof of address and you don't have the proper form. Good Luck.

Maybe I'm wrong.

If that's the case in the current visa situation, he could conceivably do this, then use the second entry, extend again, etc.

Or does he look legit ?

Also a letter from his friends (in Thai of course) wouldn't hurt to have along as well.

like i said in my original post i'm currently using the first entry of a triple-entry-tourist-visa which i believe i can extend for another 30 days at chaeng wattana. i got this visa when i went back home to germany for two weeks in june. i already used a triple-entry-tourist-visa for the first half of my year off (november 2013 to june 2014), going to myanmar (january) and hongkong (march) for a couple days to do a little sightseeing outside thailand but of course also to be able to use the other two entries of my visa. these are all the stamps in my current passport as i had to get a new one in the middle of 2013 because the old one would have expired sometime this year. i never did any in/outs on the same day ever. in fact i have always enjoyed doing a little trip to see something new.

before that i only came to thailand on my regular holidays (usually january/february) once a year. but like i said since i got the opportunity to take one year off, i thought this could be a good experience to find out if i'd like to stay here for longer in the future as this could become a serious option sometime soon.

up to now i never had any problems/questions at immigration and i think you can't say that i intended to abuse the system. actually if i knew i would run into troubles i would definitely not have planned to stay here for another half year as going home now would be a desaster (can't go back to my work and into my rented apartment before january). anyway i realize in the current situation it's more likely to be questioned at immigration when entering or extending with my tourist visa so i try to prepare myself as good as possible :)

There is a report of a foreigner staying but it is seldom enforced for home owners. It just requires a TM30 form being submitted to immigration.

I'm not so sure about the "seldom enforced" part................our (very pleasant and helpful) local Immigration Officer has been to our house socially on several occasions and met with some of our UK friends who were motorcycling around Thailand at the time.

Now, every time we go for 90 day reporting, extensions etc. she reminds us that if anyone stays at our house we (my wife) must report the matter to her office within 24hrs.

She's even given us a pamphlet about the requirement (all in Thai, of course) and a website address to enable us to do it online - sadly, that is also entirely in Thai so we've made a personal visit to her office, each time we had any friends staying over, to complete the necessary form.

i don't think one case makes it often enforced. They don't go knocking on house doors to see if there is a foreigner is staying there and check to see if a TM30 form has been done.

They do enforce it for hotels. guest houses, resorts and etc. That is what the website is for. As a far as I know an individual cannot use it.

OP when I go to do my annual extension i take the gf as I am living in her house. She shows her book and that is it.

As long as you have an address that they can go and look for you they are happy.

They don't usually check.

• Like 1

The reporting can take place at the nearest immigration office or police station. There is a dual responsibility and both you and the person registered as house master must report the stay, and this within 24 hours after arrival to the address.

The reporting can take place at the nearest immigration office or police station. There is a dual responsibility and both you and the person registered as house master must report the stay, and this within 24 hours after arrival to the address.

The foreigner must report to the local immigration office. The house master can report to the local police station, if there is no local immigration office.

Interesting.

Don't worry about the TM30.

The only reports of wanting a TM30 was at some odd immigration offices when applying for a one year extension.

I think my wife had to do when we went for the extension. I have a white ticket stapled in my passport titled "Receipt of Notification".

The foreigner must report to the local immigration office. The house master can report to the local police station, if there is no local immigration office.

I went to our local immi to get a re entry stamp. I have been using the same immi for many years and they all know me. When they gave back the stamped passport, they also gave the form for the wife to fill in saying that she had a foreigner living there. I reminded them of how long I had been here, my own yellow home book for the property. They said because I was leaving and coming back, she had to notify immigration.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Or does he look legit ?

like i said in my original post i'm currently using the first entry of a triple-entry-tourist-visa which i believe i can extend for another 30 days at chaeng wattana. i got this visa when i went back home to germany for two weeks in june. i already used a triple-entry-tourist-visa for the first half of my year off (november 2013 to june 2014), going to myanmar (january) and hongkong (march) for a couple days to do a little sightseeing outside thailand but of course also to be able to use the other two entries of my visa. these are all the stamps in my current passport as i had to get a new one in the middle of 2013 because the old one would have expired sometime this year. i never did any in/outs on the same day ever. in fact i have always enjoyed doing a little trip to see something new.

before that i only came to thailand on my regular holidays (usually january/february) once a year. but like i said since i got the opportunity to take one year off, i thought this could be a good experience to find out if i'd like to stay here for longer in the future as this could become a serious option sometime soon.

up to now i never had any problems/questions at immigration and i think you can't say that i intended to abuse the system. actually if i knew i would run into troubles i would definitely not have planned to stay here for another half year as going home now would be a desaster (can't go back to my work and into my rented apartment before january). anyway i realize in the current situation it's more likely to be questioned at immigration when entering or extending with my tourist visa so i try to prepare myself as good as possible smile.png

Sounds like you are on the right track (for now).

Best of luck and I'll be interested to know that things work out O K thumbsup.gifwai.gif