The new festival tops market keeps getting better

ericpasansai

When your talking cheese's I have found a NZ Gouda that is excellent they also have a good Vintage sharp cheddar and an almost reasonable facsimile of Swiss. It usually runs 185 baht for 200 to 250 grams at Big C or Lotus but some Makro's have it for 169 baht. However the Makro on the Super Highway only had he Gouda on the 23rd and I bought 4 of the 6 to take home with me so ' pickens are slim' at CM Makro.

It is Mainland brand from NZ and while maybe not gourmet I love the Gouda and Sharp Cheddars.

Went there yesterday and it was full of Chinese. How did I know this? You could hear them "talking" (read yelling) to each other. They even had a Chinese speaking staff member helping them.

Welcome to the future.

You guys do realize not all Thais are peasants, dont you?

Yes they are.
My doctor, he's a peasant. "Don't eat so much rice," he admonished me, "eat more vegetable." I bet he's a vegetable farmer.
The architect who designed my house suggested some shady area in the back where I could grow herbs--herb farmer, I'm sure. phff, hasn't he heard of supermarkets? Probably not, the peasant.
Then there's that airline pilot who lives next door, disappears for days. Probably plowing and harvesting down on his farm.

T

Oh, and don't get me started on that elderly orchard lady who has a fetish for nurses' uniforms. She keeps bringing me mangoes. No thankyou, weird lady! I like to get my mangoes from the source--peeled and cut on a styrofoam tray with a plastic fork and cellophane wrapping from the Central Food Hall at Central Festival.*

T
[*thus bringing us neatly back on topic]
  • Like 1

Wey hey ... i found them

thanks wg

dave2

£1.05 on the tin price in UK, but 165 baht ( £3) here!! Rice puds one of the easiest things to make ever.

Rice, Carnation type milk, Sugar,  mix em all up, in the oven at about 200 degrees for about three hours......a fraction of the price, and you get that lovely skin on top!! You can even freeze portions for whenever you feel like some.

Try it, seriously, its really easy.  

Sounds good and I want to make some myself - can you tell us the quantities of each please.

Don't under-rate Rimping. They are not just one store, but a chain of shops, each a little independent. I think that the best selection is in the one at Promenade, although I like the Maya store as they will order anything in that I ask for - within reason. Don't like the current brand of organic goat's milk? Just suggest another and they will try to get it in! 

The one thing that none of the big stores seem to have is decent bread. I still go to Nico's - just off Mahidol road - if I want perfect baguettes. The croissants are pretty tasty too.

Don't under-rate Rimping. They are not just one store, but a chain of shops, each a little independent. I think that the best selection is in the one at Promenade, although I like the Maya store as they will order anything in that I ask for - within reason. Don't like the current brand of organic goat's milk? Just suggest another and they will try to get it in! 
The one thing that none of the big stores seem to have is decent bread. I still go to Nico's - just off Mahidol road - if I want perfect baguettes. The croissants are pretty tasty too.

This Nico's sounds worth a try.
Where is it exactly?

Hmmm. Hard to explain. It's Soi Siri Watthana Niwet, but there about 4 roads / sois sharing that name in the area. The coordinates I managed to get from Google maps are:

18.757608, 99.008589

I am far from being an expert GPS-er, so hope these coordinates are precise. The building is on a corner, 2 story with wooden upstairs. Downstairs is a cafe / restaurant and a small open courtyard surrounded by a hedge. The take-away door is at the side. If you go in business hours, you will see some of the breads and croissants displayed outside.

Good luck. It's worth it!

• Like 1

re

£1.05 on the tin price in UK, but 165 baht ( £3) here!! Rice puds one of the easiest things to make ever.

Rice, Carnation type milk, Sugar,  mix em all up, in the oven at about 200 degrees for about three hours......a fraction of the price, and you get that lovely skin on top!! You can even freeze portions for whenever you feel like some.

i understand what you are saying and you are right

but i dont have an oven cooker or freezer or need to think about the price of a tin of rice pudding or whatever ?

if i want it / crave it and its on the shelf weather food phones computers or tablets ... its mine :)

dave2

pic ... a stunning cat i met three weeks ago

re

i understand what you are saying and you are right

but i dont have an oven cooker or freezer or need to think about the price of a tin of rice pudding or whatever ?

if i want it / crave it and its on the shelf weather food phones computers or tablets ... its mine smile.png

dave2

pic ... a stunning cat i met three weeks ago

amen brother. "i saw it, I wanted it, I bought it

I agree with you 100%

Sounds good and I want to make some myself - can you tell us the quantities of each please.

Would very much like to give this a try, but don't like the taste of canned milk - Carnation or any of the others.

Could light cream or something like Half and Half be substituted?

Would very much like to give this a try, but don't like the taste of canned milk - Carnation or any of the others.

try google 'easy rice pudding recipes' - you will find many to try, that meet your requirements.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

re

Wey hey ... i found them

an update .... i got the hat trick smile.png

i went to nim city rimping to get some tea bags yesterday

and found some tins of ambrosia custard @155 baht a tin

so i bought some and 4 small portions of peach slices to go with it

dave2 ... a very happy man smile.png

ps ..the heladiv english breakfast tea bags have gone up from 169 baht a box to 200 baht in one go !

thats some price rise sad.png

Edited by dave2

I recently returned to Chiang Mai and was so disappointed with the Rimping Store at Meechoke.   The selection of fresh meat is poor and what there is on display has sometimes been there for days - and yes I do shop nearly everyday - and many shelf items are just not available.   Not sure whether it has anything to do with the move of the very efficient lady manager to the Rimping Store near the Iron Bridge in Chiang Mai.    Plus there does not appear to be one member of staff who can speak English or answer queries with any knowledge of products.   Come on Rimping Management Pill your finger out!

I recently returned to Chiang Mai and was so disappointed with the Rimping Store at Meechoke.   The selection of fresh meat is poor and what there is on display has sometimes been there for days - and yes I do shop nearly everyday - and many shelf items are just not available.   Not sure whether it has anything to do with the move of the very efficient lady manager to the Rimping Store near the Iron Bridge in Chiang Mai.    Plus there does not appear to be one member of staff who can speak English or answer queries with any knowledge of products.   Come on Rimping Management Pill your finger out!

if you want "fresh meat" which i assume you mean beef, then shop at Rimping at Promenada where they sell aged beef. i was there about 2 days ago and they had a nice case full of beef aging. some Thais got a kick out of it and were taking photos. the best steaks and other beef has been aged for a few days. they also have a great selection of frozen Japanese beef.

as for the staff not speaking English, you are in Thailand. learn to speak some Thai!

Try using coconut milk instead of carnation or other milks. 

Try using coconut milk instead of carnation or other milks. 

I'm sure it would be delicious, but he's trying to duplicate the flavor of something. For that he needs a dairy product. Coconut milk has its own, strong flavor. 

We were are Central Festival Market (aka Tops) yesterday.  Great place for shopping - cravings I've not been able to fill anywhere else (Patek's Lime Pickles, for example).

But the real story is the reverse discrimination we encountered there.  My wife tried to sign-up for their loyalty card and was told that she would have to pay 50B for the card.  She should send her husband, since farang get the card for free.

Go figure.

(and yes, lots of rather loud Chinese there- mostly buying snacks and eating them right there),

Yes the market in the Festival Mall is excellent, a joint venture between Tops and UK supermarket Waitrose it has a huge selection of European goods. I shopped at Rimping for years but the Festival Market has a better selection and it is also significantly cheaper, especially for cheese, and they even have Kellogs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

Went there yesterday and checked out some items I normally buy at Rimping or Makro. All more expensive and you can't just park right in front of the store on a motorbike. Its quite a walk from the two wheel parking area to the supermarket. Will not go again. Noticed only very few other customers in there too.

We were are Central Festival Market (aka Tops) yesterday.  Great place for shopping - cravings I've not been able to fill anywhere else (Patek's Lime Pickles, for example).

But the real story is the reverse discrimination we encountered there.  My wife tried to sign-up for their loyalty card and was told that she would have to pay 50B for the card.  She should send her husband, since farang get the card for free.

Go figure.

(and yes, lots of rather loud Chinese there- mostly buying snacks and eating them right there),

We got a card in Bangkok years ago and still use it in Chiang Rai.  The only thing my wife has done is update her phone number.  We were at Festival yesterday too, and even without the card, my wife gave her phone number and her name popped up on the register.  Thailand gets more modern with each passing year.smile.png 

edit: Since we get those discount coupons in the mail, she no doubt updated our address as well.

Edited by villagefarang

Yes the market in the Festival Mall is excellent, a joint venture between Tops and UK supermarket Waitrose it has a huge selection of European goods. I shopped at Rimping for years but the Festival Market has a better selection and it is also significantly cheaper, especially for cheese, and they even have Kellogs Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

Went there yesterday and checked out some items I normally buy at Rimping or Makro. All more expensive and you can't just park right in front of the store on a motorbike. Its quite a walk from the two wheel parking area to the supermarket. Will not go again. Noticed only very few other customers in there too.

"Quite a walk"?

About one minute from bike parking to the store. Not sure where you were parking!
  • Like 1

Was in there Sunday. Only three tellers and there was no line ups at them.

Yes the prices are higher and going up since they opened the store. They do how ever have a selection of items not found at other big grocery stores.

Parking can be quite far away depends on what you are driving and the amount of people in the Mall. The store is just a very small part of a gigantic mall.