How Can I Get

ThaiPauly

I cannot get any decent internet connection where I live.. 1 klik from the airport. :o

If I were to get a Sattelite dish..would I be able to get a connection that way?

Sorry if this sounds childish.. but I am looking for some help here as i am so pissed off with the slow connections via a simple modem.

If a dish would do it.. where would I find one.?

Again sorry for my ignorance, but any help would be appreciated

Thank You

TP

TP before you go looking at a satellite link, have you looked at an ADSL connection? Far cheaper and extremely simple. Do a search on the computer forum for threads on IP Star connections. After that go to Loxinfo's site to get pricing on IP Star satellite link up.

I know how frustrating a slow dial up connection can be. I switched to ADSL in January and have been more than happy with it...MM

Decent Internet connection... Thailand?

:o:D:D

For all of Muang Thai's plusses, decent Internet ain't one of them. As Maejo says, ADSL (MAXNET etc) will be a huge improvement if you are only on dial-up, although the connection can be just as frustrating during busy times of the day, or if you have a crap line, or your exchange is really busy etc. But, generally, ADSL is a lot more reliable and faster than dial-up and can be heaps cheaper than IP Star (satellite internet here). You use the same phone line for ADSL and they may supply you with a compatible modem. I'll have a chat to you about it tomorrow if you're out, TP. :D

Decent Internet connection... Thailand?

:D:D:D

For all of Muang Thai's plusses, decent Internet ain't one of them. As Maejo says, ADSL (MAXNET etc) will be a huge improvement if you are only on dial-up, although the connection can be just as frustrating during busy times of the day, or if you have a crap line, or your exchange is really busy etc. But, generally, ADSL is a lot more reliable and faster than dial-up and can be heaps cheaper than IP Star (satellite internet here). You use the same phone line for ADSL and they may supply you with a compatible modem. I'll have a chat to you about it tomorrow if you're out, TP. :D

Cool :D

What bugs me so much is that my next door neighbour has it .. but I cannot have it :o

I just have to stick with Dial Up.. better than it was..but I need MUCH BETTER.....maybee I am living LOF (Land of Fantasy) :D

C U 2 morrow nite.. Jammers..about 8ish

I'd say, if Internet connection is a prime priority - move to an area covered by true cable. On an average its down anout 2 x 20 minutes a month. Even if 10 people are eagerly surfing the web, at the same time, via my connection they don't complain about it being slow (however, it does happen that its so slow, that even 1 person rightfully complains) --- and I don't have a multi mega line, I only have a non-shared one.

I'd say, if Internet connection is a prime priority - move to an area covered by true cable.

what what what what? Cable in Thailand really really? :o

saweeeeeeet :D

Yes, they have cables ... But, the fiberoptic ones, I think they've skipped . .. A few years ago, the general idea in "scientific" communities was that countries like e.g. Thailand, could easily skip a few steps of the technological evolution the West had passed through --- way loss of money to put out 3-5 different cable types to remote villages ... Going directly from phoneline dialup modems straight to wireless satelite connection would be much better... Technically correct, of course --- but policy?

Im a this moment useing a friends Ipstar & I recently tried out another guys Ipstar stystem, they are both very disapointing.

When down loading files we get about 20-25 Kbs,which sounds ok. but when surfing the pages are agonisingly slow to come up, a total rip unless you have no other options.

Yes, they have cables ... But, the fiberoptic ones, I think they've skipped . .. A few years ago, the general idea in "scientific" communities was that countries like e.g. Thailand, could easily skip a few steps of the technological evolution the West had passed through --- way loss of money to put out 3-5 different cable types to remote villages ... Going directly from phoneline dialup modems straight to wireless satelite connection would be much better... Technically correct, of course --- but policy?

Might just have something to do with vested interests. A prime minister who just happens to be involved in satellite and mobile telecoms? No interest in fixed line coms........

Anyone use CS Loxinfo?

Service**** Speed [Kbps] Monthly Fee (Baht/Month]

Special Benefits for ADSL members

ADC

(BKK)

ADC

(Upcountry)

TRUE

(BKK)

Smart 256x2 512/256* 750 - - Free Dial-up hour for 10 hrs./month

Home 256 256/128 690 690 990

Home 512 512/256 850 850 1,500 Free USB Modem for 1,200 baht**

Free monthly fee for 1 month***

Free Dial-up hour for 10hrs./month

Home 1024 1024/512 1,000 1,000 2,000

Home 2048 2048/512 1,500 1,500 - Free USB Modem or Router for 1,200/1,700 baht**

Free Dial-up hour for 20 hrs./month

Paul - If your next door neighbour has ADSL already, it should be possible for you to do so. You might have to wait a short while for extra infrastructure though.

You should drop in to the TOT office on Mahidol Road, beside the flyover in front of Airport Plaza. (Coming in from Hang Dong, turn right at the lights and the ofice is just past the first Soi on the left.) Chat with the people at the desk furthest from the entrance door. They are very helpful. (Give me a call if you would like me to translate for you.)

This is MUCH cheaper than IPstar - quicker and more reliable.

You should drop in to the TOT office on Mahidol Road, beside the flyover in front of Airport Plaza.

If you pop into the TOT office then do ask about satellite connection as well. TOT is a lot cheaper than Loxinfo for the same thing! Obviously satellite connections are subject to the weather conditions and in heavy rain you will lose the signal. If you go down this route the dish will point roughly in the same direction as a UBC dish which should give you an idea of the location of the dish on your property. Good luck.

Obviously satellite connections are subject to the weather conditions and in heavy rain you will lose the signal. If you go down this route the dish will point roughly in the same direction as a UBC dish which should give you an idea of the location of the dish on your property. Good luck.

Actually you very rarely loose a signal in heavy rain, although IP Star can be minimally affected by sunspots. The IP Star dish points roughly 90 degrees west of a DSTV dish.

At the risk of spoiling my beautiful internet seceret-

I have installed TOT adsl at 1024k. 1000 baht a month.

I live along Hang Dong road and TOT has just put a new ADSL interchange in the area. I frequently get 90Mb/s downloads, and am always within 80% of my rated speed. Anywhere from 50%-90% of my speed internationally. It's fast and very reliable.

The TOT told me as of a few months ago, I was the first and only person on their new ADSL interchange, so don't everyone move here and screw it up :o

I live along Hang Dong road and TOT has just put a new ADSL interchange in the area. I frequently get 90Mb/s downloads, and am always within 80% of my rated speed. Anywhere from 50%-90% of my speed internationally. It's fast and very reliable.

The TOT told me as of a few months ago, I was the first and only person on their new ADSL interchange, so don't everyone move here and screw it up :D

FOUL FOUL FOUL REFFEREE :D

When I had my restaurant in Hang Dong I was told I could have ASDL within a day :o

I only live 1 klik from the end of the darn runway....the radar when on at night throws light around the Moo Baan I live on..... but I cant get ASDL......its crazy to say the least..and so frustrating.

Thanks for all your replies..I am a little bit more hopeful of getting SOMETHING sorted

TP

The TOT told me as of a few months ago, I was the first and only person on their new ADSL interchange, so don't everyone move here and screw it up :D

To clarify, you mean 90 kB/s, right?

90 MB/s would mean a full DVD in one minute. :o

To clarify, you mean 90 kB/s, right?

90 MB/s would mean a full DVD in one minute. :o

A mere slip Meadish, I'm sure :D Even though his 90 KB/sec seems pretty fast, it's actually only running at 70% efficiency, and I would be looking for at least 100 KB/sec on that sort of connection.

whoops, yeah it's 90k.

It's not as fast as what you'd get in the states of course, but I do feel like I'm getting what I'm paying for, which is saying a lot considering the state of ADSL in Thailand.

The question is really how long will it last before they oversell the line....

To be more clear, I live about mid-way between chaing mai and hang dong, about half way between Hang Dong road and the Ping river.

Edited by jaiyenjohn