question about a border run to activate 2nd entry on tourist visa

IF I come to Thailand (Chiang Mai) with a double or triple-entry tourist visa, when the time comes to activate a second re-entry into Thailand, can I just do a quick turn around,say for instance in Mae Sai, or do I need to actually visit another country for a few days and then re-enter Thailand? This is my 5th time to Thailand and I am what is known as a snowbird since I typically have been coming to Thailand for anywhere from 2- 4 months in the winter. This year I am planning on staying for 5 months and have a return ticket, a reservation at the same hotel I have been staying at for the previous 4 years, and will be bringing sufficient money. I realize this issue is kind of sketchy at the moment but I value the wise and informed opinions from the seasoned and knowledgeable posters and mods such as ubonjoe and tywais,etc.

I do a similar sort of thing to you, 6 months in uk and 6 months in thai, I think we're all a little bit on tender hooks just in case we get refused re-entry, from what I've read I personally think the only people being targeted are the ones that are in Thailand for a long time on a reoccurring 30 day visa instead of a more appropriate visa to their situation, hope this help, if I hear anything i'll post it