One Full Blank Page Left On My Passport

hello i am just under 1 month away from leaving Thailand with one full blank page left on my passport, i have a choice between either going back to UK to get a new passport or go to Cambodia or Malaysia to do it there.

i would prefer to stay in Asia, going home would eat up a lot/or all of the funds i have but it would be the safest option as i'm getting conflicting reports/advice i.e. some countries not allowing people in with just one remaining blank page.

any advice esp. from experience would be appreciated.

Yes, forget Laos, one full page for their visa, then 1/2 a page for stamps: Thai out, Laos in, Laos out, Thai in.

For Cambodia you can get an eVisa online, saves a page, then just the Thai out & Cambodia in.

But, if you're only planning for one (1) month to get a new passport from the UK, keep hoping. More recent reports here on ThaiVisa have said 8-12 weeks!!

Better do a rethink on your travel plans.

Mac

a Yank

Yes, forget Laos, one full page for their visa, then 1/2 a page for stamps: Thai out, Laos in, Laos out, Thai in.

For Cambodia you can get an eVisa online, saves a page, then just the Thai out & Cambodia in.

But, if you're only planning for one (1) month to get a new passport from the UK, keep hoping. More recent reports here on ThaiVisa have said 8-12 weeks!!

Better do a rethink on your travel plans.

Mac

a Yank

Thanks Mac, yes i'm aware about the time shortage if you go to Cambodia but i'm prepared to pay the overstay fine (will be a lot cheaper than return flights to UK), i'm more concerned about if i can get into Malaysia/Cambodia with only 1 full blank page. thanks again

I would be interested to know what the timeframe is in Cambodia for getting a renewal.

Given that the issues are at HMPO you are still looking at 8 weeks.

You haven't mentioned on what basis you are staying in Thailand or why you are leaving in one month ?

e-visa via Poipet/Hat Lek - or flying in - takes up no space in the passport. Just the entry and exit stamps.

You are still faced with 56 days @, say, $20 a night accommodation = £600 = a return flight.

I would be interested to know what the timeframe is in Cambodia for getting a renewal.

You haven't mentioned on what basis you are staying in Thailand or why you are leaving in one month ?

e-visa via Poipet/Hat Lek - or flying in - takes up no space in the passport. Just the entry and exit stamps.

You are still faced with 56 days @, say, $20 a night accommodation = £600 = a return flight.

i am looking more at Malaysia but Cambodia is possible... u can (i'm told) get another month ontop of the 1 month tourist visa, there's a lot cheap accom. than $20 a night.. $5 overstay and no nasty stamp (i'm told) on leaving...

and then there's Malaysia... still waiting to hear reports from anyone who's got into either country with one blank page?

i am looking more at Malaysia but Cambodia is possible... u can (i'm told) get another month ontop of the 1 month tourist visa, there's a lot cheap accom. than $20 a night.. $5 overstay and no nasty stamp (i'm told) on leaving...

and then there's Malaysia... still waiting to hear reports from anyone who's got into either country with one blank page?

Not a problem going into Malaysia. I went into Malaysia with half a page. The Malaysians went and put the stamp right in the middle of the remaining space so I was a bit concerned coming back to Thailand as there was not enough room left for a clear stamp. Thai immigration just put the stamp just put the stamp in the largest space just overlapping adjacent stamps.

• Like 1

Mate, go to the UK and get a 64 page passport. You can get it in a day from a passport office too if you pay extra

Not that straightforward. Someone reported that they went back to the UK and it took 20 days to get a passport.

Not a problem going into Malaysia. I went into Malaysia with half a page. The Malaysians went and put the stamp right in the middle of the remaining space so I was a bit concerned coming back to Thailand as there was not enough room left for a clear stamp. Thai immigration just put the stamp just put the stamp in the largest space just overlapping adjacent stamps.

that's fantastic news.. i'll get 3 months tourist visa in Malaysia.. thanks for letting me know Sandy :)

I don't understand why anyone would let their passport get down to just one blank page or less than 6 months validity while travelling

Understandable if you do not travel. Between March 2013 and May 2014 I did not go a month without needing my passport. We can all have 20/20 vision in hindsight and on reflection I should have extended my trip to the UK last year and gone to the passport office, I should have been well aware that 3 months was insufficient time to process a renewal.

Validity is another matter.

Edited by sandyf

Mate, go to the UK and get a 64 page passport. You can get it in a day from a passport office too if you pay extra

Not that straightforward. Someone reported that they went back to the UK and it took 20 days to get a passport.

If you do it by post. You can walk in and get a new one in a few hours. You pay extra though. it's what i'll be doing for my seconmd passport

I don't understand why anyone would let their passport get down to just one blank page or less than 6 months validity while travelling

earlier this year i had to unexpectedly make a lot of trips, most of which needed 1 page sticker-stamps,before that i had 5/6 blank pages, i would normally have have seen the problem occuring earlier.. just bad luck it's happened at the worse time ( i.e. Thai immigration crackdown + UK passport office f.up)..

i'm definately going to get the bigger/more pages passport this time!

A similar thread came up recently.

If you fly into Phnom Penh - Cambodia, you can ask for, and should receive, a 12 month multi-entry business visa, on arrival. Cost is about $290.

This is a full page visa, but you will be able to stay in Cambodia until your new UK passport is ready for collection, and if you are caught up in the Thai visa run crack down, you can a least stay in Cambodia until you are allowed to return to Thailand.

Another option is Malaysia. You will receive a 90 day stamp on arrival, however, if your UK passport in not ready for collection within the 90 days, you will have to leave Malaysia and come back. This is no big problem, just extra travel.

You may be able to extend from within Malaysia, but I do not know if you can. Perhaps another member will know.

Up to 3 months for a new UK passport is really poor service.

In the other thread, it is also mentioned that you will need to show proof of address to the Embassy for a new UK passport, as well as other documents. There was some debate as to the ease, or otherwise, of getting a new UK passport, whilst outside of the UK.

If you fly into Phnom Penh - Cambodia, you can ask for, and should receive, a 12 month multi-entry business visa, on arrival. Cost is about $290.

This is a full page visa, but you will be able to stay in Cambodia until your new UK passport is ready for collection, and if you are caught up in the Thai visa run crack down, you can a least stay in Cambodia until you are allowed to return to Thailand.

Another option is Malaysia. You will receive a 90 day stamp on arrival, however, if your UK passport in not ready for collection within the 90 days, you will have to leave Malaysia and come back. This is no big problem, just extra travel.

You may be able to extend from within Malaysia, but I do not know if you can. Perhaps another member will know.

In the other thread, it is also mentioned that you will need to show proof of address to the Embassy for a new UK passport, as well as other documents. There was some debate as to the ease, or otherwise, of getting a new UK passport, whilst outside of the UK.

unfortunately ( for me) the business visa is 1 page which is for a month then 1 or more pages re. 1,3,6,11 month extensions so i can only come in on the 1 month e-visa which i'm told i can extend for 1 month, then pay overstay if the passport takes longer

the long wait is because the passport office in UK has been changed from London to Liverpool

thanks for the info

unfortunately ( for me) the business visa is 1 page which is for a month then 1 or more pages re. 1,3,6,11 month extensions so i can only come in on the 1 month e-visa which i'm told i can extend for 1 month, then pay overstay if the passport takes longer

the long wait is because the passport office in UK has been changed from London to Liverpool

thanks for the info

Read my post again.

The 12 month multi-entry business visa for Cambodia can be obtained at the Phnom Penh Airport, on a arrival. That's a full page visa and good for 12 months. You do not have to arrange the e-visa prior to arrival.

Most go into Cambodia on the 1 month tourist visa, and then go to a travel agent and get the 12 month business visa. That's 2 pages in your passport, and you only have 1 left.

It's not widely advertised that you can get the 12 month business visa on arrival, but you can. Well, you could, as of late 2013. I doubt it has changed.

Edited by NamKangMan

thanks for the info

Read my post again.

The 12 month multi-entry business visa for Cambodia can be obtained at the Phnom Penh Airport, on a arrival. That's a full page visa and good for 12 months. You do not have to arrange the e-visa prior to arrival.

Most go into Cambodia on the 1 month tourist visa, and then go to a travel agent and get the 12 month business visa. That's 2 pages in your passport, and you only have 1 left.

It's not widely advertised that you can get the 12 month business visa on arrival, but you can. Well, you could, as of late 2013. I doubt it has changed.

NamKanMan are you saying i can buy the whole 12 months on one go = 1 page at the airport on arrival?

Edited by hoyism

If you do it by post. You can walk in and get a new one in a few hours. You pay extra though. it's what i'll be doing for my seconmd passport

You cannot walk in, you must make an appointment. The person that reported said he was not allowed an appointment.

thanks for the info

Read my post again.

NamKanMan are you saying i can buy the whole 12 months on one go = 1 page at the airport on arrival?

Yes. That's exactly what I am saying. This was the case late 2013. Check before you go, but I doubt it has changed.

No e-visa, just arrive at the airport in Phnom Penh and approach one of the Immigration Officers assisting tourists and ask for the 12 month multi-entry business visa.

There is nothing "under the table" about it. It's a legitimate visa issued directly by Cambodian Immigration, at the airport.

Edited by NamKangMan