How will the new visa regulations change Thailand's expat community?

DaveWalsh

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

more doom and gloom,

Not for people like you.

I read your tales of pig farming over by the Cambodian border. I also read your stories about earning piles of cash in Iraq.

You'll survive comfortably on either an "O" visa or (perhaps) an Elite Card.

You'll be okay.

• Like 1

3. A cyber worker visa

Agreed. The world has changed. Tons of people now work from home and use the internet to make money.

Work permits are handed out to people who, in my opinion, are generally either second rate (at best) or (more often) third rate.

Let's be honest -- how many first rate expats work for MNCs in Thailand? The answer is zero. First rate guys would never consider transferring to Thailand.

But "cyber workers" are different. I have read that lots of these guys congregate in Chiang Mai. They offer a whole range of services (SEO, copy writing, programming, etc), and by all accounts are often very good.

I think these guys should be entitled to (as you put it) a "cyber visa" costing 50K - 100K per year. The relatively high cost would obviate the need to pay tax.

I don't understand your thinking. I have a friend, now retired, who was pretty high on the ladder with Bank of America. He actively sought positions in foreign countries for the experience and change. His first such assignment was in a dirty 3rd world place called London, LOL. tongue.png

He was earning about US$200k per year as a top executive in whatever country he was in. Before he retired he did a 3 year rotation in Bangkok with salary plus a nice expense package.

Would this be one of those 3rd rate guys?

• Like 2

This shake up of the system is long overdue imo and I think that this is just as much of a crackdown by the powers that be on Immigration staff as is it is on foreigners. Many of these laws that are being talked about as being 'new' are not. They have always been in place, it is just now that Immigration staff are being told to do their jobs properly and enforce them - don't let people milk the system.

I agree with David48, what you're seeing now is a ripple effect. Long term it might actually be very good for the expat community here. You might start to see a better quality of expat (that sounds terrible I know). But what I'm trying to say is that these guys doing border runs every 30 days must have a reason? Is it lack of funds? Are they working here illegally? Are they running away from illegal activity in their home country? Maybe Thailand thinks it's better off without these people, I'd be inclined to agree to a certain point.

The guys I feel sorry for are the offshore workers, who actually probably have enough funds to support themselves here.

I also think Thailand should crackdown on Ed-Visa abuse and maybe look at creating some kind of visa for online workers or digital entrepreneurs. Why not become the hub (I know we've heard that many times before) for online start ups - the Silicon Valley of South East Asia?

• Like 1

No. You've gone astray.

A guy named JingThing suggested a CYBER VISA.

I think such a visa is needed. It would enable talented westerners (some of whom earn more than 1000 USD per day) to remain in Thailand and work legally.

By contrast, work permits are readily available for "conventional employees" who are transferred here from their own countries. In my opinion, these people are generally mediocrities. Not all, but most.

I support Mr JingThing's proposal. I support wholeheartedly the idea that gifted youngsters (and oldsters, too) can set up shop in places like Chiang Mai and LEGALLY work, develop their skills, and contribute to the local economy.

Hi Dave

Can you please hook me up with one of these people who are making US$1k per day? I am relatively talented in the IT field but don't make anything even approaching this and would like to find out what they are doing to make $365k a year from it.

Please PM me with details. Appreciated.

Thanks

TL

We are in thailand where there is always a way around everything, already heard of a few.

more doom and gloom,

Reluctantly, I have to agree with this statement. Already seeing signs in the visa forum that Immigration may be stepping back from their initial hardline stance at the airports - I guess we wont really know until August 12 but logic dictates that they wont spend 20 minutes interviewing a sizeable percentage of arriving passengers re their travel history. I know TiT, but in anything approaching high season that would be a nightmare for all concerned.

Getting back to the OPs question, if the doomsayers are right and I have to walk away from the possessions I have here to start again in Cambodia. so be it - that was my plan B when I got on the plane in late April. I wouldnt be thrilled if it meant walking away from my Thai FCD account, but even that wouldnt break me - I still havent gone 'all in' anymore than I would have in Malaysia or Cambodia. The doomsayers only win if we let them win - curiously, they'll be nowhere in sight come November when those of us who live in tourist hotspots are deluged by the usual horde desperate to avoid the northern Winter for a few weeks.

• Like 1

Work permits are handed out to people who, in my opinion, are generally either second rate (at best) or (more often) third rate.

Let's be honest -- how many first rate expats work for MNCs in Thailand? The answer is zero. First rate guys would never consider transferring to Thailand.

Perhaps you don't know how much MNCs are willing to pay first rate expats to get them to take up postings in Thailand.

Or perhaps you do but can't get one of those full expat deals.

• Like 2