How will the new visa regulations change Thailand's expat community?

DaveWalsh

It will have a significant effect on a large group of foreigners who, for whatever reason, reside in Thailand and then do the border runs. Most of these people work in Thailand but pay no taxes as they have no work permit (working illegally). The military want to squeeze these people out or force them to comply with the legal requirements in order to work.

This has been understood by previous governments and efforts were made but like most things here, after an initial push, things slipped back to norm.

There is another dynamic about to enter the arena ...... ASEAN begins certain changes in 2015 and apparently (I'm not certain) any citizen from any of the ten member countries can enter another member nation without a visa and gain employment (without work permit). Should this be true then I see a massive exodus of Philipinos coming here and they will take the jobs as they have the English skills and will work for little.

Interesting times ahead

AEC will allow free movement of skilled labour. You still have to prove that the foreigner (ASEAN national) is skilled for the job, and apply for a work permit for him. It's supposed to be easier than for non-ASEAN foreigners, but the details have not been published yet.

AEC is supposed to start on 31 December 2015, so I don't expect to see many changes during that year.

Furthermore, there are also many Western expats working in the Philippines, so it does not look like Filipinos will replace all expats.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not a teacher but I also think that I come form a superior country, what's your problem with that ?

My country leads the work and I am proud about it, the rest of the world should respect our citizens because I wonder what the world would be without us...

Merely out of interest where are you from thairastawoman ?

Odds on USA?

Judging from the spelling mistakes and the superior racist attitude I would have guessed that she is from the USA but then at the end she states "the world should respect our citizens because I wonder what the world would be without us".

Therefore, she could not be from the states because no country owes any respect to the citizens of the USA, in fact their would not be a USA if it was not for the rest of the world.

Maybe she's from North Korea.

• Like 1

AEC will allow free movement of skilled labour. You still have to prove that the foreigner (ASEAN national) is skilled for the job, and apply for a work permit for him. It's supposed to be easier than for non-ASEAN foreigners, but the details have not been published yet.

AEC is supposed to start on 31 December 2015, so I don't expect to see many changes during that year.

Furthermore, there are also many Western expats working in the Philippines, so it does not look like Filipinos will replace all expats.

Sure but the expats in Flipper Land aren't teaching English, are they? No one said that all expat jobs are going to be taken by Flippers.

naah... the elites in North Korean are educated to a highly level of English profiency than this, or so I am led to believe

US definite

a highly level?

Yes miss... however you will notice I corrected my typo, but will write out 1000 lines as punishment...thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

naah... the elites in North Korean are educated to a highly level of English profiency than this, or so I am led to believe

US definite

a highly level?

Yes miss... however you will notice I corrected my typo, but will write out 1000 lines as punishment...thumbsup.gif

a typo is a mistake in spelling. you used the wrong word and it is especially sweet in a post making fun of english proficiency! lol

• Like 1

If you allow the way other expats live their lives effect yours, then you are the fool. It's very easy to avoid scrotums from any nation.

How you reading this lives your life in Thailand, wither you are a millionaire, a retire that wets himself every 70 minutes or a international war criminal, it matters not. It's very easy to stand up and walk away from you.

Live and let live

• Like 1

a typo is a mistake in spelling. you used the wrong word and it is especially sweet in a post making fun of english proficiency! lol

and so the English Nazi appears.... you are obviously in need of a TGAU in your life dear boy, to take the edge off your classes...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

and so the English Nazi appears.... you are obviously in need of a TGAU in your life dear boy, to take the edge off your classes...thumbsup.gif

nope just a lover of irony

Even the lovers of irony need a TGAU in their life

Even the lovers of irony need a TGAU in their life

some might

EXAMPLE

I once spoke to an HR Manager in London. The company maintained offices in NYC, Sao Paulo, Paris, Tokyo, Singapore and BKK.

The office in BKK never pulled in much cash. It was the least profitable of the company's overseas operations.

1403.gif

• Like 1

US definite

a highly level?

Don't forget about definite(ly)

the thing is, and im 54,

the young guns have been having a go at the older members on here for as long as i can remember, calling them all sorts of names, dosnt bother me to be honest what the young guns said, i have my life they have theres as always been my thoughts,

but i think this is just letting the older members have a good chuckle

do i sign or not??

jake

• Like 1

In my opinion - if the 'crackdown' and new visa regulations changes continue to progress and likely morph into broader areas - that in two years time - maybe less - the 'Expat Community' in Thailand will consist of - mostly men over age 50, a fair amount of men under age 50 who are married to Thai women... and a spattering of people - mostly men who have business visas... And that the Thai Expat community will shrink from a 'guestimated' - rough estimated number of 550,000 to 250,000 or so.

Quantity down.......quality up ;)

3. A cyber worker visa

Agreed. The world has changed. Tons of people now work from home and use the internet to make money.

Work permits are handed out to people who, in my opinion, are generally either second rate (at best) or (more often) third rate.

Let's be honest -- how many first rate expats work for MNCs in Thailand? The answer is zero. First rate guys would never consider transferring to Thailand.

But "cyber workers" are different. I have read that lots of these guys congregate in Chiang Mai. They offer a whole range of services (SEO, copy writing, programming, etc), and by all accounts are often very good.

I think these guys should be entitled to (as you put it) a "cyber visa" costing 50K - 100K per year. The relatively high cost would obviate the need to pay tax.

The nice thing about freedom is that you can have your own opinion. However twisted and incorrect it may be, it's still yours.

So you are saying that because someone who has a work permit in Thailand, they are 2nd or 3rd rate? I'll tell that to a few of my buddies that are $250K a year guys in IT and Banking.

I also don't see your logic behind a visa service for 50-100k and the tax generated. You do realize that immigration and internal revenue are completely seperate right? Some pay more than 100K a month in tax yet you write a yearly visa can be bought for 100K. You obviously are not in the first tier smile.png

BS

i did go to iraq, but i wasnt on $1000 an hour, and i wouldnt go for that, i lasted 3 weeks and told them get me out of here,

thats why at this moment im in the uk getting my police check,signing some forms and doing another medical, done that today,

back home on the 16th if my visa is ready as there isnt a angolan embassy in thailand,

souty would get a job in most countries by the way, and command good coin, you cant beat experience, you cant put a price on it as the experienced boys can teach the others,

jake,(still singing off)

Jake, going to print out your last sentence and take it with me to my next salary increase negotiation... Jake says give Soutie a good pay increase laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

i did go to iraq, but i wasnt on $1000 an hour, and i wouldnt go for that, i lasted 3 weeks and told them get me out of here,

thats why at this moment im in the uk getting my police check,signing some forms and doing another medical, done that today,

back home on the 16th if my visa is ready as there isnt a angolan embassy in thailand,

souty would get a job in most countries by the way, and command good coin, you cant beat experience, you cant put a price on it as the experienced boys can teach the others,

jake,(still singing off)

Jake, going to print out your last sentence and take it with me to my next salary increase negotiation... Jake says give Soutie a good pay increase laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

I am upset Jake didnt include me, i would have used it in my next pay review.

TGAU, oh sorry wrong thread

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Oil and gas offshore is so old school,have worked on offshore wind parks with scandinavian subcontractors who work six months and are off six months and live the high life in Thailand and Phils or Indonesia company even pays airplane tickets .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It is time to crack down on these law breakers Thai doesn't need these people The Expat Community will be more high class

This a great idea and will improve Thailand for all

I am glad this is being done

Thanks

It is also time that people stopped calling visa runners "law breakers". They were not breaking the law. They were taking advantage of the system with the full knowledge and complicity of the Thai immigration service.

Just because Thailand has decided to enforce her laws PROPERLY, doesn't mean that those who availed themselves of the immigration service's generosity should be deemed criminals overnight.

This is not a self-serving argument - I've never had a visa exempt entry stamped into my passport.

I'm just a bit fed up with the smug pillocks who think that they've actually ACHIEVED something or are part of an elite group by being born before a certain year.

You win, but I think we both know that many of the attack dogs in those visa threads are also snipers and attack dogs in pretty much every thread in GT where someone appears to be in trouble. The big difference is that many of the nasty little turds were moderated into oblivion in the Visa forum. Completely agree that being able to park your carcass in Thailand post-50 is no particular accomplishment but I will hand a Perseverance Award to anyone who has done it for 20 years - the traffic in Patts is really starting to grind me down. Time for a trip to the countryside, methinks :D

• Like 2

3. A cyber worker visa

Agreed. The world has changed. Tons of people now work from home and use the internet to make money.

Work permits are handed out to people who, in my opinion, are generally either second rate (at best) or (more often) third rate.

Let's be honest -- how many first rate expats work for MNCs in Thailand? The answer is zero. First rate guys would never consider transferring to Thailand.

But "cyber workers" are different. I have read that lots of these guys congregate in Chiang Mai. They offer a whole range of services (SEO, copy writing, programming, etc), and by all accounts are often very good.

I think these guys should be entitled to (as you put it) a "cyber visa" costing 50K - 100K per year. The relatively high cost would obviate the need to pay tax.

It won't happen so you'll have to relocate.

3. A cyber worker visa

It won't happen so you'll have to relocate.
Yes i think we call such things boiler rooms ,cyber visa my arse......