Hello I'm New So This Is My Introduction

lukrung

Hello,

My name is Linda and I just joined this board. I'm half thai (hence the name Lukrung) and half Pennsylvania Dutch (which basically means white). When I was a teen I went on exchange to Thailand and ironically got sent to my mother's home town. I was able to learn thai, and even better some issan (my mother's dialect). When I came back home, I was a bit dissapointed because I had a half sister in Thailand whom I couldn't find.

Ten years later, A really awesome guy who is an ex GI/expat living in Bangkok helped me locate my sister. So a month before the Tsunami I flew to bangkok and met my older sister finally! You can read my blog about it if you want http://hellolinda.blogspot.com

Last month I just visited her for a second time, and now I want to move to Thailand and work there. I'd like to make up for the lost years between us. I'm so excited to finally have closed the gap in my family.

Right now I have a potential job lead in Bangkok, but I'm nervous as all hel_l about taking the job. I currently make a VERY good salary here in the US as a Manager of IT and Project Manager. Going to Thailand I will be making less than a third of what I am making now. What if things don't work out? Will I be able to come back to the US and pick up where I left off? There are so many questions racing through my mind right now.

There's one thing for certain, I know that I can do this because I've left home before for Thailand. I just need to do it.

So anyhow, now that you've read my life story.. Hello! :o

-Linda

Linda, you're a young lady so go for it! What's the worst that can happen? I would never advise older people to take a big chance like that because it's not easy for them to start over. :o

half thai (hence the name Lukrung) and half Pennsylvania Dutch (which basically means white).

Are you having us on, Lukrung? Pennsylvania Dutch, or Amish? It's a long way from the East Coast of the US to Asia via horse-drawn carriage, isn't it?

methinks strange goings-on at Thai-Visa . . .

half thai (hence the name Lukrung) and half Pennsylvania Dutch (which basically means white).

Are you having us on, Lukrung? Pennsylvania Dutch, or Amish? It's a long way from the East Coast of the US to Asia via horse-drawn carriage, isn't it?

It would be a very energetic Troll that created that BLOG.

Why not Pennsylvania Dutch?

Got to be from somewhere, no?

One third of a manager of IT's salary from the coasts (or elsewhere, probably) will allow you to live very comfortably in BKK or anywhere in Thailand. If you feel like you've got the feel of the place enough to put in some time working here, I'd say do it while you can!

As to career effects, I would consult a good headhunter, they'll have an idea how your time overseas would work for you, or they can ask their hiring manager contacts. Another avenue might be a compensation analyst (can you believe THAT's a career?, I love America), who's particular expertise is to evaluate the value of one's experience pos/neg.

Edited by calibanjr.

The area of Ohio I came from has many Pennsylvania Dutch people. That certainly means no special religion. In fact most of those people from Pennsylvania Dutch orgins are Catholic.

Absolutely not - apologies if I came across as being aggro towards the OP. Didn't mean it that way. Just that the Amish are very basic people, in terms of their outlook on the use of modern things such as cars and planes, marrying outside the faith and the like - that it sounds strange to have a half Amish/half Thai mix I find it fascinating how they would have met). But hey - good for progress . . . and it's a nice story.

Hope the move works!

Time spent working in Thailand will probably do nothing for your career, or at least nothing positive :-( . However, living in another country is something everyone should try. Who knows, you might find that having a rich life is more important than becoming rich!

Absolutely not - apologies if I came across as being aggro towards the OP. Didn't mean it that way. Just that the Amish are very basic people, in terms of their outlook on the use of modern things such as cars and planes, marrying outside the faith and the like - that it sounds strange to have a half Amish/half Thai mix I find it fascinating how they would have met). But hey - good for progress . . . and it's a nice story.

Hope the move works!

Pennsylvania Dutch are not Amish: from a genealogy site:

A more formal definition of Pennsylvnia Dutch then are those that came to America from those areas where the German language was spoken before 1800. Those that came after 1800 are usually referred to as Pennsylvania Germans or just German imigrants.

Dutch is a mispronunciation of the word Deutsch.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Linda!

I enjoyed your blog.

Some interesting comments about Pattaya in it.

There were all of these fat OLD men total losers

walking around with thai girls that looked like they were about 15

years old. (in reality probably 21). The men disgusted me so much, I

didnt enjoy that part of the trip at all.

Welcome to the forum Linda. One thing you can do is apply for A foreign service job at the American Embassy. You have advantages over other people that apply as you are half Thai and speak Thai.

They make an American salery with about 45 holidays per year and 30 days vacation which would allow you to visit the states once per year.

Barry

I enjoyed your blog.

Wow, such a hateful statement

Not hateful, just a little ill-informed. She goes on...

The men disgusted me so much, I

didnt enjoy that part of the trip at all. Ann and her family arrived at about

11pm in our hotel suite (which kicked ass!! we were on the 31st floor,

I got some great photos).. I was already asleep so I didnt hang out at

all with them.

In bed by 11pm? And you didn't "hang out" with your sister? You've a lot to learn about Thailand, Lukrung. I should come for a longer visit next time and make sure you really like it before you decide to move here.

I enjoyed your blog.

Unfortunately, young people in the US and Europe are brainwashed to think this way, where older men romancing younger women is normal in many cultures.

I'm sure that lukrung will change her thinking about many things that she has been conditioned into believing as she ages, learns and matures.

Broadening the mind, is what travel does. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Hi Linda,

funny, I moved with my girlfriend to Thailand. She is also half Thai and her name is also Linda. Seems to be a popular lukrueng name :o

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Thailand

I enjoyed your blog.

Unfortunately, young people in the US and Europe are brainwashed to think this way, where older men romancing younger women is normal in many cultures.

I'm sure that lukrung will change her thinking about many things that she has been conditioned into believing as she ages, learns and matures.

Broadening the mind, is what travel does. :o

The above is the third post in quick succession protesting about Linda's, in my view, perfectly pertinent remarks.The reality is that Pattaya is indeed full of fat old (and some younger ones as well) losers accompanied by young Thai prostitites.You have to laugh at the self-deluded who prattle on about the normality of older men romancing younger women in many cultures.They're just sex tourists and hookers in most cases.

Linda, hope all works out for you.You will already seen there is a scummy side to Westerners in Thailand.It's a minority however although heavily represented in Pattaya.

I am sure that a high percentage of this forum would take offense to your remarks. I know that I do. I am 45 with a 22 y/o tgf. So if I take a trip to Pattaya, which I do once in a while, and stoll around with my gf of 3 years, I will be labeled a scum and by gf a prostitute by the mindset you convey. There are labels for this mindset as well but I wont go into that here. All of it is a form of racism

Edited by monochaser

Welcome to TV Thailand.

Congrats on the eventual move to Thailand. Please keep us posted as I find it fasicinating.

Just remember to stay positive during the negative times and you'll be alright.

There are many english speaking expats living in Thailand so you might want to make friends with them. Also, You might want to considered joining the TV ladies forum here with your quest to make new friends. I'm sure they can lead you in the right direction?

I enjoyed your blog.

Broadening the mind, is what travel does. :D

The above is the third post in quick succession protesting about Linda's, in my view, perfectly pertinent remarks.The reality is that Pattaya is indeed full of fat old (and some younger ones as well) losers accompanied by young Thai prostitites.You have to laugh at the self-deluded who prattle on about the normality of older men romancing younger women in many cultures.They're just sex tourists and hookers in most cases.

On the other hand, some guys moved all the way to Thailand for the "culture". :D

:o:D :D

I hate having to explain myself, but after reading the offense to my reaction to Pattaya, I feel like I Should.

You should not take offense to the comment unless you actually went to pattaya, paid for a hooker and had sex with her. I won't deny that I'm disgusted by prostitution. It's a breeding ground for STDs and unwanted pregnancies. Those of you who do have young wives, I never meant to offend you. Love comes in all ages and walks of life, and I wish you all the best with your respected familes.

My blog stated a reaction to seeing prostitutes. I met some of the women there, because they were lukrung like myself, and they came from the northern regions of Thailand like my mother did. It deeply saddens me that a woman has to resort to selling her body.

A big thank you to everyone who welcomed me. I am happy to have joined the forum despite the negative reaction to my post :o

-Linda