Bank account for Retirement Visa

If operating in Thailand it's a Thai bank for all practical purposes as banks with foreign names, like Citibank, UOB, etc., are licensed as Thai banks and must follow Thai laws and Bank of Thailand regulations.

If operating in Thailand it's a Thai bank for all practical purposes as banks with foreign names, like Citibank, UOB, etc., are licensed as Thai banks and must follow Thai laws and Bank of Thailand regulations.

-------------

But more importantly to the poster.......What do you mean by a 3 month account?

In general the rule immigration wants is that an account can be instantly available ..... that you can enter the bank and withdraw the money right then.

If that's what you mean by a 3 month acccount that's probably good.

But if you mean a fixed term account, that requires a notice before money can be withdrawn from it (such as you must give a 3 month notice to close the account) that may be a no no to immigration.

Immigration usually want's an account where you can withdraw funds with no required waiting period before you can withdraw funds.

If it is a special account with higher interest that does NOT allow you to withdraw funds in an emergency without a waiting period that is often NOT acccepted by immigration.

The only way to be sure is to ask immigration before you try to use such an account.

They may say it is o.k., or they may say no to that account.

So, find out before you assume it will work by asking immigration.

Generally fixed accounts allow immediate access/withdrawal...it's just you lose a major portion of the interest if you withdraw any funds before the fixed account matures. I've been using the Bt800K in a fixed account method for several years now in my yearly retirement extension at Bangkok immigration...no problems. Just ensure the funds have been in the account for at least 3 months...only 2 months if first extension.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Schuarte,, just use a good Thai Bank say Siam Commercial ,, they are brilliant have looked after my money for the last 20 years.

fast efficient service and great staff.

When I enventually relocate in a year or so I will let them take care of all my needed insurances as well.

• Like 1