:o

I have a 3 year lease on a shophouse near Patunam (in Bangkok Barzaar next to Big C) i have been here 2 1/2 years now. The landlord verbally told me today I have 30 days to move out and she will give me 40,000bht to move. I have 500,000bht invested in the interior!

She has changed her story 3 times on why I have to move. She says the complex was all sold and everyone has to leave, then asks if she can take one of the shophouses back I can stay.... then says maybe I can stay a few more months... then says out in 30 days.

She also holds a 80,000bht deposit. What rights do I have?

Take a good look on the lease contract, what has been stated before you engaged a lawyer to take legal action against the property owner. Good Luck.

You are correct. The rights are going to be all in the lease. Depends if within the last 6 months, either party can notify the other on termination of the lease. Even if you have another option of 3 years, if you did not have a good lawyer representing you, odds are high, it will be nasty and the Landlord has the rights to kick you out. A option lies with both the Landlord and the tenant unless it has already been granted in the contract.

Best is to contact us and have our lawyers take a look at the lease. Feel free to pm. me.

www.lawyer.th.com

Take a good look on the lease contract, what has been stated before you engaged a lawyer to take legal action against the property owner. Good Luck.

There is an excellent lawyer in bangkok Khun Bordin Kongjun - he represented us and was able to recover 450,000 from K P Reality - these folks had 5,000,000 of our funds (which they spent). Khun Bordin was able to recover our 5Mil plus the additional 450,000 baht.

Mod: have deleted phone number posted here for privacy reasons. Please PM this poster for full details.

Barry Cross

:o

I have a 3 year lease on a shophouse near Patunam (in Bangkok Barzaar next to Big C) i have been here 2 1/2 years now. The landlord verbally told me today I have 30 days to move out and she will give me 40,000bht to move. I have 500,000bht invested in the interior!

She has changed her story 3 times on why I have to move. She says the complex was all sold and everyone has to leave, then asks if she can take one of the shophouses back I can stay.... then says maybe I can stay a few more months... then says out in 30 days.

She also holds a 80,000bht deposit. What rights do I have?

It sounds like she may have another person who wants to rent the space and is offering her more money than you are paying her. She figures she can muscle you out and pay you a small sum in reimbursement. It would be best to read your contract as others have stated so you know what your options are. I don't know the laws in Thailand but there must be some sort of arbitration available. You might have your Attorney send her a strongly worded letter reminding her you are under lease and breaking that lease could cost her dearly.

You've got six months to run on the lease. In six months time she's going to get the place back without any payment, and will likely want to hang on to your deposit.

Think of the current situation in terms of the negotiating position you hold.

She wants the place back early, you want your deposit back and a payment for your losses in terms of investment.

Negotiate: Tell her, through your lawyer, that you are willing to move and the figure is (Deposit + Losses + legal fees).

What you don't want to happen is this lease to run another six months and be left with no cards in your negotiation stack.

Strikes me that she's let the cat out of the bag... go for gold.

You've got six months to run on the lease. In six months time she's going to get the place back without any payment, and will likely want to hang on to your deposit.

Think of the current situation in terms of the negotiating position you hold.

She wants the place back early, you want your deposit back and a payment for your losses in terms of investment.

Negotiate: Tell her, through your lawyer, that you are willing to move and the figure is (Deposit + Losses + legal fees).

What you don't want to happen is this lease to run another six months and be left with no cards in your negotiation stack.

Strikes me that she's let the cat out of the bag... go for gold.

This sounds like good advice. I'd recommend a good Thai lawyer working for a Thai-Farang company (sadly some of the lawyers are as dodgy as the landlords and have the ability to make the situation even worse). Thailand is still the wild west I'm afraid.