Hi-tech smuggler flies drone into Thai supermax prison

webfact

Since when has it been Hi-Tech to fly a remote-controlled plane or helicopter. <deleted>Sakes, I was doing this 40 years ago.

Hi-Tech my ass.

Edit: I built my own balsa wood radio-controlled gliders, that could fly miles and miles (song comes to mind), and they're much quieter than a toy with a motor.

OOOH Nooo! A revolutionary idea I've offered to Thai mafia. sad.png

Drugs stored in the nose, as opposed to lead, of course. giggle.gif

If they really want to get smart then do as I did as a kid also, learn how to make a French arrow, and throw it 200m, high over the wall....

That drone navigates with GPS and satellites, and video stream from the camera back to either the pilots glasses or an smartphone attached to the remote controller. I would see you have that technology 40 years ago ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit cynical perhaps but I bet you could not land your "drone" some miles away forty years ago. You sound like one of those been there, done that experts. LOL

Since when has it been Hi-Tech to fly a remote-controlled plane or helicopter. <deleted>Sakes, I was doing this 40 years ago.

Hi-Tech my ass.

Edit: I built my own balsa wood radio-controlled gliders, that could fly miles and miles (song comes to mind), and they're much quieter than a toy with a motor.

If they really want to get smart then do as I did as a kid also, learn how to make a French arrow, and throw it 200m, high over the wall....

• Like 1

You guys got some sort of testosterone overload? What is with all the rudeness coupled to poor reading skils: Ubon said "I built my own balsa wood radio-controlled gliders, that could fly miles and miles (song comes to mind)" He didn't claim to have GPS then, considering it didn't exist. I think the point was they had long distance and didn't make noise. Am I wrong? And yes they had stuff for RC planes. Heck I wanted to put one together 50 years ago, but being broke kid didn't have the money. But parts for all of it were available. Look at this 1964 championship RC plane vid in Germany if you don't believe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eRmWYXTR6k

Hi-Tech my ass.

That drone navigates with GPS and satellites, and video stream from the camera back to either the pilots glasses or an smartphone attached to the remote controller. I would see you have that technology 40 years ago wink.png

A GPS jammer in the prison would put an end to these drones.

No, a GPS jammer would not stop it, you only need gps for emergency return to home position and some gps assist modes.

Normal flying can be done by good old fasioned eyes and FPV ( camera view )

You would need a 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wifi Jammer and a Radio Jammer.

Maybe a scanner, or more to the point a radio spectrum analyser, that alerts the prison authorities to nearby radio signals and what they maybe, i.e. mobile phones, WiFi, radio controlled models, walkie talkies, then they know what to search for or to jam.

Hi-Tech my ass.

You might want to keep quiet about all this, you know... for your own rep's sake.

Hi-Tech my ass.

But not equipped with FPV. Plus this thing i electric and much quieter than the petrol-run dinosaurs you flew.

That's news to me......didn't know "Gliders" needed petrol

Actually guys, this IS high tech for Thailand- technology that is actually functioning and working properly- that is monumental!

Due to the fact it crashed I would suggest maybe it was not working properly.

I would venture operator error more. Not that easy to fly in tight spaces without a lot of practice.

Sounds like the hi-tech operator needed glasses. How the hella did they miss seeing a tree for God's sake?

Network dropout or crap camera/video feed + wind?

If i rigged that thing up, it would have 2G/3G/4G cellular radios for video feed and control, multiple cameras, remote detonator, satellite comms, full spectrum radio jammer, machine guns, invisibility and radar cloaking

edit: and miniature chainsaws incase it got stuck in trees

Edited by Jdiddy

Phones and chargers. I guess guards wouldn't notice inmates charging their phones in their cells? We all know that each prisoner has access to electrical outlets in their cells, right?

I don't know about this super max prison but I have seen prison cells with televisions in them so who knows what they have.

How to build a catapault: strap 7 pvc pipes together (1.5 inches, schedule 40). Secure low end in a pick up truck. Crank it down and let 'er fly. I haven't tried it, but I would guess 2 kilos could go over a 10 meter wall, and possibly 150 meters in distance. Pack the goods in bubble wrap - boiying.

as for contraption found in tree: I bet farang investigators could find where it was bought (including phones and sim cards) and perhaps by whom. Thai investigators will just take it home and try to get it to function again - for chuckles.

Hi-Tech my ass.

Drones have come a long way since your long-ago youth. The high-tech is things like GPS guidance, self-controlled hovering, the drone returning on it's own to the exact spot it took off from, etc.

Yeah.. not High Tech at all. Anybody with a few dollars can do the same. It just takes away from the breach of security at the prison. The problem lies with the security in place, not from kids/teenagers flying readily available drones (Out of the box) already set to go upon purchase.

An obvious fault in prison security. I wonder if the guy controlling the drone was inside or out?

Yes he was inside. They flew in the remote control to him the night before.

Hi-tech smuggler... pfff!

They bought a toy and didn't know anything about the tech to fly the "mission". They used a 5.8Ghz video link, that frequency gets stopped by even light foliage, no wonder it ended up a tree.

The drone in the photo is an $800 to $1,200 "toy."

......... they found the camera-equipped droned stuck in a tree.........

Obviously not a very high-tech camera then.

Actually it's a GoPro camera which is very high-tech. What makes you think the camera was why the drone flew into a tree?

A GPS jammer in the prison would put an end to these drones.

No, a GPS jammer would not stop it, you only need gps for emergency return to home position and some gps assist modes.

Normal flying can be done by good old fasioned eyes and FPV ( camera view )

You would need a 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wifi Jammer and a Radio Jammer.

You don't even need the camera view if you can see both the drone and the location where you want it to land.

Actually guys, this IS high tech for Thailand- technology that is actually functioning and working properly- that is monumental!

Don't be so close minded about Thailand. In spite of it's many flaws, Thailand actually has a lot of well-functioning high-tech equipment/instruments. Ever flown into a Thai airport; or used Thai internet; or watched Thai satellite TV?

And to those who say Thai internet and satellite TV is terrible, all I can say is that they have been working quite well for me for many years. Yeah, a few problem sometimes, but no more than what I experience in USA.

Due to the fact it crashed I would suggest maybe it was not working properly.

I'd bet the drone was working very well, but not so the drone operator.

How to build a catapault: strap 7 pvc pipes together (1.5 inches, schedule 40). Secure low end in a pick up truck. Crank it down and let 'er fly. I haven't tried it, but I would guess 2 kilos could go over a 10 meter wall, and possibly 150 meters in distance. Pack the goods in bubble wrap - boiying.

as for contraption found in tree: I bet farang investigators could find where it was bought (including phones and sim cards) and perhaps by whom. Thai investigators will just take it home and try to get it to function again - for chuckles.

Yes, it's obvious you haven't tried the PVC catapult. PVC pipe is not that flexible and would break quickly upon trying to bend it. Or perhaps you're talking about a different PVC pipe than what I know.

Edited by HerbalEd

Don't be so close minded about Thailand. In spite of it's many flaws, Thailand actually has a lot of well-functioning high-tech equipment/instruments. Ever flown into a Thai airport; or used Thai internet; or watched Thai satellite TV?

And to those who say Thai internet and satellite TV is terrible, all I can say is that they have been working quite well for me for many years. Yeah, a few problem sometimes, but no more than what I experience in USA.

How many drinks have you had??? No comparison to the U.S.A.!!!!

where in bangkok can i buy such a quad copter, also need a gopro ...

ps: just for fun, no prison around here smile.png

Pantip, Pratunam:. MBK, Natl Monument etc etc. Naywhere cute electronics are sold, That type from 17,000 baht. 2 km range & return to base by GPS for reuse. Fun cheapies from 1,000baht. I bought a 1,400b toy yesterday. 100m range 20 mins flying on one charge. But I doubt that the real cheapies coud even carry a packe of smokes. The 1,700b bigger model looks more capable

Back when we were kids, smuggling contraband into prison involved plastic wrap, a blowdryer and a tub of K-Y Jelly.

Hmmm!! Seems like this guy was a homosexual young offender with long hair.

Really. I get the plastic wrap and KY. What was the blowdryer for? blink.png

Edited by Ulysses G.