Transferring two million baht out of Thailand.

We are going back to Thailand in October for a few weeks. During this time we want to transfer just over two million baht from my Thai wife's Kasikorn bank account to her bank account in New Zealand.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Anyone have any ideas on the best way to do it? What to bring from NZ? We have done a bit of research and made a few phone calls but get different answers about it. They range from it being almost impossible to it being quite easy.

Any suggestions or experiences appreciated.

I transferred 2 million baht to the US several years ago. It is my understanding that there are rules regarding sending currency out of the country (you can bring in all you want).

There was a form to fill out wanting the reason for the transfer. One of the reasons that will allow a transfer is "to pay a debt in the receiving country." I put that in the blank and had no problem. Be prepared for that. If your reason is "just because I want to," or "because I am moving there," they might not let you transfer. I have know idea what all the exceptions might be.

Well there was one more problem. The bank clerk at Krungthai told me I had to wire it in 100,000 baht increments. <deleted>? Twenty separate wires, with all the attendant paperwork and fees??? She just didn't know her ass from page 8. After demanding to see the manager, we eventually got it sorted out and the 2 million baht wire went out.

first how and from WHERE did the money come from.?

When I transferred 2 million baht out, nobody asked me that question. But in fact, a friend wired the money to me in Thailand from HIS US bank account at an earlier time. I then took the 2 million IN CASH from the bank and walked away with it. When I transferred it BACK to the US later, I brought cash (all 2 million baht in a sack, Thai style) into the bank for the wire transfer. There was no real paper trail as to where I got the money, though I could have proven one if asked. It just did not come up.

I wanted to transfer 4 m baht from Siam commercial bank to my bank in NZ and before I could do it they wanted to know where the money had come from. I presented them with all of my bank statements and letters of transfer from my New Zealand bank to their bank, but that still wasn't enough.

Apparently there is a special form that is issued by the receiving/clearing bank when the money hits Thailand, and even though I had their own bank statements and letters stating that they had received the money from NZ, they still would not send it, and as it had been a few years since the money was transferred into Thailand, I could not get the required form.

I was getting increasingly frustrated and one of the personal banker ladies helped me out by suggesting I invested in a Thai government bond and then cancel it and she could therefore show that the money had come from a bond. I was very sceptical of this, but as I had no other way of getting the money out because I was due to leave Thailand in a matter of weeks, I went ahead.

Anyway I cancelled it after a week, made 500 baht for the short time it had been invested, and the money was transferred to my New Zealand bank without a problem.

Don't know if that is the norm, but that's how I was able to do it.