Suspected Auschwitz guard dies in US

webfact

Suspected Auschwitz guard Johann Breyer dies in US

PHILADELPHIA: -- An elderly man in the US accused of Nazi war crimes has died while awaiting extradition to Germany.

Johann Breyer, 89, passed away in a Philadelphia hospital on Tuesday night, his attorney told US media.

His death followed an order by a US judge granting a request for Mr Breyer to be sent to Germany to stand trial.

German prosecutors were hoping to put him on trial on charges of aiding in the murder of more than 200,000 Jews at Auschwitz during World War Two.

Mr Breyer, a retired toolmaker, was arrested at his home in June and placed in federal custody.

He later admitted he was a death camp guard, but said he was stationed outside and had nothing to do with the deaths.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28454566

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-24

I'm sure that he had a real choice in his alleged ex-profession.

You're being stationed as a guard.

No, Mr. SS man, I refuse to.

Not a conversation that would have seen him make 89 years of age, or even 20 yrs of age.

Just a thought, but I think you'll find the SS were all volunteers who were checked out thoroughly before being accepted.

I'm sure he had the choice to join the SS or be conscripted to a branch of the military.

Guarding outside and just following orders - yes right.

Rudolph Hoess, Auschwitz's commandant, was, by his own admissions, history's greatest mass murderer.

The reason he used at The Nuremberg Trials? - Just following orders.

He was sent to the gallows in the grounds of Auschwitz on 16th April 1947.

• Like 1

With all the poisons in the world, It seems to me that these people could come up with something that takes less than two hours to work. People have been poisoning people for thousands of years. I think these officials have blinders on. Come on people, think outside the box! coffee1.gif

In a few years there will be no one left from that period and the cleansing can start. For now thought pursuit of all Nazis is a must no matter where they are . History must show that that everyone involved will pay for the so called "Final Solution"

• Like 2

Not a conversation that would have seen him make 89 years of age, or even 20 yrs of age.

While I agree that his choice may have well been suicidal, where do we draw the line of individual citizen responsibility versus following orders of those with the guns. I do not propose to know the answer but I do feel the guilt of the misuse of American power. Do we wait for the Hitlers, Pol Pots, Amins to fade away or do we have a responsibility to rise up ( hopefully with others around us) and revolt against injustice?

Rudolph Hoess, Auschwitz's commandant, was, by his own admissions, history's greatest mass murderer.

He admitted to killing as many as 3.5 million and his confession was the basis for the original plaque outside Auschwitz which claimed 4 million died there. That plaque has been removed and the new one reads 1.5 million instead of 4. Upon the collapse of the Soviet Union, their archives became available and it was proven that the most he had access to was 1.5 million.

i was unaware that he was apart of the Nurnberg trials, I was under the impression that he was tried later as a part of the Auschwitz specific crimes against humanity.

In a few years there will be no one left from that period and the cleansing can start. For now thought pursuit of all Nazis is a must no matter where they are . History must show that that everyone involved will pay for the so called "Final Solution"

There are still 300,000 survivors receiving benefits.

Just a thought, but I think you'll find the SS were all volunteers who were checked out thoroughly before being accepted.

I'm sure he had the choice to join the SS or be conscripted to a branch of the military.

wasnt it part of the nazi propaganda that the ss were the elite and thay picked the finest candidates were igiven the best training and selection started at school As a child. in devon the local optician was an ex ss, dead now.but still to this day i.remember the look he gave me when much to.my parents horror i confronted him about it .
  • Like 1

He admitted to killing as many as 3.5 million and his confession was the basis for the original plaque outside Auschwitz which claimed 4 million died there. That plaque has been removed and the new one reads 1.5 million instead of 4. Upon the collapse of the Soviet Union, their archives became available and it was proven that the most he had access to was 1.5 million.

i was unaware that he was apart of the Nurnberg trials, I was under the impression that he was tried later as a part of the Auschwitz specific crimes against humanity.

The confession Hoess signed was in English, a language which he did not speak. He and others were tortured to obtain confessions.

An old American lawyer who was directly involved and present at war crimes trials told me that they did not dispense actual justice, but "victors justice." Some of the Allied judges admitted, in writing later in their lives, that the war crimes trials resembled Stalin's show trials more than anything else.

Did anyone notice that the Germans and Japanese were never charged with bombing civilians? The reason for that was the Allies had done it too, and much, much worse. The U.S. chose to not criminally charge both German and Japanese MONSTERS it found useful (Nazi's who ran spy networks in Eastern Europe, and Japanese who performed horrific experiments on living humans. America desperately wanted the chemical/biological warfare data the Japanese had obtained). NASA's Werner von Braun, anyone?

wasnt it part of the nazi propaganda that the ss were the elite and thay picked the finest candidates were igiven the best training and selection started at school As a child. in devon the local optician was an ex ss, dead now.but still to this day i.remember the look he gave me when much to.my parents horror i confronted him about it .

Himmler had as a part of each concentration camp, a cadre of the deaths head unit which were waffen SS but specialized. They did not serve the routine duty of camp guards which was mostly done by Ukranians.

BRAVO! How tremendously courageous of you! I'll bet that was good for a few gold stars beside your

name in heaven.

The SS were (mostly) volunteers. In terms of prestige, gaining entry to the SS was approximately like

becoming an U.S. Marine AND Eagle Scout at the same time. Extremely high mental and physical qualifications. Many applied, few were chosen--and what young man would NOT want to belong to "the few, the exceptional, the outstanding"?

The SS was divided into two basic groups, the Waffen SS (combat only), and Allgemeine SS (everything

else). The Waffen SS will forever be admired as a combat unit by students of things military. Yes, even

those who hate the Nazi's, and those whose fathers fought against them.

Operation of concentration camps was a police function, not a military one. The Allgemeine SS handled

that--and do you think they sent their "best and brightest" to guard prisoners? Look at the general level

of prison guards anywhere in the world.

Brainwashing? The fact is that very few members of ANY society are capable of being objective. Most of

us do not question the self-serving, manipulative lies concocted by our masters.

SS was lot more than a just guard duty. Most fight in the front. Also foreign SS units and nothing to do with ideology. Few people knew about the camps. Most busy fighting war.

The confession Hoess signed was in English, a language which he did not speak. He and others were

tortured to obtain confessions.

An old American lawyer who was directly involved and present at war crimes trials told me that they

did not dispense actual justice, but "victors justice." Some of the Allied judges admitted, in writing later in their lives, that the war crimes trials resembled Stalin's show trials more than anything else.

Did anyone notice that the Germans and Japanese were never charged with bombing civilians?

The reason for that was the Allies had done it too, and much, much worse.

The U.S. chose to not criminally charge both German and Japanese MONSTERS it found useful (Nazi's

who ran spy networks in Eastern Europe, and Japanese who performed horrific experiments on living humans. America desperately wanted the chemical/biological warfare data the Japanese had obtained).

NASA's Werner von Braun, anyone?

And the 'old American' lawyer's name is...?