Half Moon and Black Moon Parties banned (for 5 months)

Yes yaabaa use by locals us the far greater problem than a few all night dance parties involving tourists.

The ones doing the bag snatches, house break-ins and irrational assaults are spaced out locals on yaabaa,

including the nutter who shot the cop in the gas station on video.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

yes,ya ba and ice meth..............biggest scourge here in thailand and for me Samui is getting worse and worse for shootings,stabbings and assualts

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well as it turns out the intended bans (announced by army officer during community meeting) were sidestepped.

As for the list of parties, there are so many and new ones start up all the time. Not sure what defines 'party' as none come near to the FMP in numbers. Lacking any other term party will do.

Personally I prefer the island in quiet season and weeks between FMP. No problem with the parties, nor with party-goers, it's just not my scene. Too old I guess tongue.png

The latest call to ban all parties, excepting FMP, is just another underhanded way of blaming foreigners for the Koh Tao murders, a spiteful decision that will hurt many people whose livelihood depends upon tourists being attracted to a 'party island'. If the police are exposed as the cause of KT murders, will they release the parties which have been 'scapegoated' too?

Interesting there has been much said about preventing under 18 year old partygoers from attending:- but how about banning underage Thais? Many of the 'workers' are underage and many problems occur with 16 year old louts, connected to the Had Rin local mafia families.

To be honest, at the few parties I have attended, I don't recall seeing underage foreigners (apart from occasional kids with parents).

Edited by ParadiseLost

"If the police are exposed as the cause of KT murders, will they release the parties which have been 'scapegoated' too?"

After reading this again, I must correct my statement: When the police are exposed for 'scapegoating' the accused, will they release the parties which have been 'scapegoated' too?"

They were talking about suspending the parties on Koh Tao.

There are so many articles and threads relating to KT and KP I can only find the BP article dated 15 October under Business/Tourism entitled "Ban urged on some Phangan parties"

The article mentions that previous attempts to shut down the Half and Black Moon parties were stopped after operators lobbied the authorities.

Chairman of the Koh Phangan Tourism Promotion Association, Wannee Thaipanich is quoted as saying there are too many parties "at the expense of quality". One wonders if she has actually attended any of them....

Ms Thaipanich also wants to "keep activities moderate", and suggests "competitions such as a DJ contest or beach sports" are to be introduced. Summer camp anyone?

Amongst several measures will be checkpoints to prevent arms and drugs, and under 18s are strictly prohibited.

I ask again if underage Thais will be excluded from working and partying...

The only thing that should be banned on Thai islands is the police...

We don't need them and they are the only source of all problems in this country !

Who is "we"? It does appear from your posting history that you would want to live in a lawless place as it may suit your lifestyle choices...

Posted by ThaiSmarterThanYou on 2014-10-20 11:26:34 in Thai visas, residency and work permits

5555+ everytime I read this kind of stories I feel sad for people who try to have a legit life in this country...

Making things legal here means looking for problems !!!

Posted by ThaiSmarterThanYou on 2014-10-20 11:50:26 in General topics

I didn't know that it was possible to eat it ? This grass is so perfect...

Posted by ThaiSmarterThanYou on 2014-10-20 11:22:06 in Thailand News

Poor people are always easier to cheat than rich ! Scammers are smart !

Posted by ThaiSmarterThanYou on 2014-10-20 11:52:06 in General topics

Yes but they need to work to survive !!! In Thailand anyone who was not retarded before his 40' is able to live many years without working and have a more relax life...

So - just how does one live here, under 40 - are you married? Work permit?

As it appears you have nothing but contempt for legit people, I doubt you would be bothered by such trivial matters.

Please exclude me from your 'we'...

Edited by ParadiseLost

Enough of the petty bickering... please treat each other with respect and not flame each other.

Posting Content & General Conduct

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Back to topic. The last Half Moon party (mid October) was closed by the BIB about 2 hours after its start and the last Black Moon party (just few days ago) was cancelled.

Just appeared on the Nation this morning

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Full-moon-party-only-at-Haad-Rin-30246258.html

Quote "

All public parties in the Koh Pha-ngan district in Surat Thani province - except the full-moon party at Haad Rin - have been banned to "prevent crime and vices".

"The governor's order also makes it mandatory to seek his approval via the district office for any event to be hosted on a beach or public space. "

Anyone know any more, other than the full moon party I thought the rest of the parties were on private property (why the police were complaining last week about having problems getting in). Or do they count as "Public Parties" because anyone who pays can attend?

So, blame the parties, blame the tourists, blame anyone but the police for failing to carry out their duties. Instead they are allowed to concentrate on supplying drugs and protecting their own little network.

The murders were not connected to partying at all, this is just a way to shift blame. Scapegoat the parties imo.

Denial and avoidance at all times, never accept responsibility - that should be the RTP motto.

Cannot wait to see the next TAT report, describing a massive influx of backpackers, eager to play volleyball and ring-a-rosies on the empty beaches...

When the initial ban started back in July I think it was, there was a massive increase in robberies in Phangan some were violent- Family held up at gun point in their bungalow at resort is just one example. Local drug addicts most likely in need in my opinion.

Does banning these parties really make us all safer, when tourists can't be protected by the police from these people?

• Like 1

When the initial ban started back in July I think it was, there was a massive increase in robberies in Phangan some were violent- Family held up at gun point in their bungalow at resort is just one example. Local drug addicts most likely in need in my opinion.

Does banning these parties really make us all safer, when tourists can't be protected by the police from these people?

Can you provide a link to give this some credibility? Not attacking you but after asking my wife if there have been any such attacks, she also cannot support this information.

Also, may I ask if you live here? This is a small island, but not so small that drug addicts are going to start robbing tourist if a party is closed. The parties are not run by addicts, to promote their business! Some may sell drugs at these parties, and yes, some tourists buy from them but it is not like it is advertised, or sold across the counter - the same 'sellers' will be selling outside the parties too, on the beaches and on the street.

May I also ask if you have ever attended any of these parties?

The only thing (out of the ordinary) bad to happen on these islands was the shocking murder of two tourists, not at any of the official parties, not by crazed drug dealers, but by local psychotic prima donna animals. They are the ones needing shutting down.

• Like 1

Can you provide a link to give this some credibility? Not attacking you but after asking my wife if there have been any such attacks, she also cannot support this information.

I can confirm a single mugging...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768709-mugging-near-had-son-koh-phangan/

Haven't heard of others, hopefully won't either.

Back to topic. The last Half Moon party (mid October) was closed by the BIB about 2 hours after its start and the last Black Moon party (just few days ago) was cancelled.

As was Loi lay last night - they cancelled it.

• Like 1

According to the Bangkok Post - beach parties on all of the islands in the province are banned (other than the FMP).

It will be interesting to see what happens on Samui. whistling.gif

Well that beach club with all the banners around the island advertising half moon party at Chaweng beach on the 28th.

I can confirm a single mugging...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768709-mugging-near-had-son-koh-phangan/

Haven't heard of others, hopefully won't either.

Thanks - I missed this. First time I hear of a mugging at gunpoint here. It would not surprise me if it was a fake (not that it makes the crime any less severe). I know of two shootings over the past 8 years?

There have been bag snatchers ever since bags were invented I guess. No matter how many people report this you still see girls with bags over their shoulder. Not much can be done about it.

From the follow-up FB entry, describing the response by locals - it shows that this is not an island out of control, there may be muggings but they are isolated and the locals are not complicit, nor are they complacent. They will deal with petty thieves in a very effective manner, with or without the police.

It sounds as though I am here to protect the image of KP, but strangely I prefer stuck-up people to have a negative opinion, as it keeps them away. What I cannot condone are BS posts by people who have never even been to KP, just mouthing off about something they know nothing... And, least I forget. those bragging about illegal activities, insulting people who have a decent life here, living within the law.

So, if you do not name the party at all, then it would be ok?

A farang tried this a few years back (Jumanji bar); he was shut down within an hour, his laptop and all music seized. No advertising, just a big gathering.

However, if I recall correctly he had applied for a license and it was turned down, so he tried the 'informal gathering' trick.

The bar closed down not long after...

According to the Bangkok Post - beach parties on all of the islands in the province are banned (other than the FMP).

It will be interesting to see what happens on Samui. whistling.gif

Well that beach club with all the banners around the island advertising half moon party at Chaweng beach on the 28th.

A while back I was talking to the guy who owns/manages (not sure which) that place and he was talking about turning it into a 'relax' style beach bar with softer music.

Mind you - it could be complete cow manure of course. Let us see what happens.

Edited by Tropicalevo