STEM Education introduced in Thai schools

webfact

STEM Education introduced in Thai schools
By Digital Content

14061959065082.jpg

BANGKOK, July 25 -- Thailand has implemented the STEM Education to improve Science and Mathematics teaching in schools across the country.

The Institute for the Promotion of Teaching Science and Technology (IPST) on Thursday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Office of the Basic Education Commission (OBEC) to promote STEM Education, the integrated instruction of science, technology, engineer and mathematics, as a tool to improve science and mathematics teaching and learning in elementary schools and at higher levels nationwide.

Signed by executives of two parties at Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre (BITEC), includes using STEM Education to encourage and guide students in applying science, technology, engineer and mathematics in daily life, for example to solve problems and create inventions, through activities, analysis and integration of more than one STEM subject.

Prof Dr Montri Chulavatnatol, ISPT chairman, said STEM Education has been used in more than 200 schools in Thailand so far, adding that the programme would encourage more people to work in science-related fields as well as to create and use innovations to increase the country’s productivity and competitiveness on the global stage.

Rojana Kritcharoen, basic education secretary-general, said implementing STEM Education is expected to cover every school, elementary and above levels, within five years. OBEC will work to promote STEM education, enhance cooperation among concerned parties and provide financial support for related activities. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-25

• Like 1

At least someone's making an effort. Focus should always be maths, English, science; the less time given over to superfluous tripe like Thai history, religious studies and Chinese the better. Only thing we need now is sane teachers with half a brain.

• Like 1

Another example of great thinking and initiative of education reform thought by Gen Prayuth the great.

Er ... no.

As said in the report, this STEM program has been tried in a fair few schools around Thailand already and from what I know has been implemented as early as 2012 (maybe earlier) so unfortunately (for you) not the brain child of the General at all.

Although the STEM idea is of course a great one, from what I've seen, teachers and students are still bogged down in textbooks with little or no emphasis on practical activities and obviously the instruction is all in Thai still.

• Like 2

BANGKOK, July 25 -- Thailand has implemented the STEM Education to improve Science and Mathematics teaching in schools across the country.

Might not a better plan be to actually educate the teachers to teach as opposed to indoctrinate.Let's drop the no fail rule, no pass no grade.

Try encouraging students to dispute comment that their teachers make, contrary to Thai belief the teacher is not an infallible source of information thus his or her comments are not sacrosanct.

When one see's the degree ceremonies every day on T.V. it indeed epitomizes just what a farce the education system is in general here.

Graduates who in reality have no actual advantage in what passe for a university education here, no independent thought process, no defending of ones arguments and such delightful uniforms so as to actually regiment these individuals into a self serving self considered elite group of rather poorly uneducated inarticulate and unwilling members of the industrial and commercial society they may elect to work in.

Another example of great thinking and initiative of education reform thought by Gen Prayuth the great.

Er ... no.

As said in the report, this STEM program has been tried in a fair few schools around Thailand already and from what I know has been implemented as early as 2012 (maybe earlier) so unfortunately (for you) not the brain child of the General at all.

Although the STEM idea is of course a great one, from what I've seen, teachers and students are still bogged down in textbooks with little or no emphasis on practical activities and obviously the instruction is all in Thai still.

Yes. It is Prayuth to roll out country wide. Yingluck would not have the balls to do so.

• Like 1

I mainly agree must start with better trained teachers and and much more investment in education-most know fr example amongst even Asian nations the speaking of English is the worst but it is the only common language

Thailand doesn't even teach Japanese in schools although they occupied your country for many years!

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics STEM Eligible degrees in US Immigration An exhaustive list of STEM disciplines does not exist because the definition varies by organization. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement lists disciplines including:[11] Physics, Actuarial Science, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computational Science, Psychology,Biochemistry, Robotics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Information Science, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Astrophysics, Astronomy, Optics, Nanotechnology, Nuclear Physics, Mathematical Biology, Operations Research, Neurobiology, Biomechanics, Bioinformatics, Acoustical engineering, Geographic Information Systems, Atmospheric Sciences, Educational/Instructional technology, Software Engineering, and Educational Research.Everyday heroes inspiring the next generation of UK scientists and engineers are honoured at national awards ceremony

A teacher from Suffolk, an aviation company from Scotland and a female apprentice from Wiltshire have been named

So that will keep Thai Teachers busy will it not?

There is MINT as well!!

clap2.gif

Er ... no.

Yes. It is Prayuth to roll out country wide. Yingluck would not have the balls to do so.

'initiative' ... an introductory act or step

Nothing to do with reds, yellows, pinks or any other bloody colour LOL

This was 'introduced' long before the coup. Get your facts straight please.

STEM Education here would be like asking the teachers to train an Astronaut.

The kind of inventive thinking here from a teacher is how to teach an 11 year old child to make a hat from cardboard.

Duhhhhh !!! , 11 year olds in western countries are programming computers and designing robots Etc

• Like 1

Does anyone know if he can fly like superman also coffee1.gif

Some posters will swear that the 'super powers' and 'special moves' don't just stop there. biggrin.png

STEM Education here would be like asking the teachers to train an Astronaut.

The kind of inventive thinking here from a teacher is how to teach an 11 year old child to make a hat from cardboard.

Duhhhhh !!! , 11 year olds in western countries are programming computers and designing robots Etc

A couple of headlines you might have missed:

Economic recovery 'threatened by poor maths skills' - Daily Telegraph 17% Of School Leavers 'Functionally Illiterate' - Teaching Times

I mainly agree must start with better trained teachers and and much more investment in education-most know fr example amongst even Asian nations the speaking of English is the worst but it is the only common language

Thailand doesn't even teach Japanese in schools although they occupied your country for many years!

How many countries in the world do you know that include teaching Japanese as part of their core school subjects?

How many years was it that the Japanese were here in WW2?

in a country where the cashier need a calculator to see how much money she has to give you back from a 100 baht note when the item cost 25 baht... i see a great future for the success of this program

In the end it's down to the teachers to do their job. I don't need a new system or a national curriculum. Teachers should know how to teach. I know where all my students are with their

maths, science and English. Teaching is a job that you shouldn't do if your only motive to teach is "I can't get laid in my own country."

Edited by Local Drunk

science and math are you f$*&ING kidding me.....mabey .....if you teach them in english..please stop this insanity....will thailand ever improve???...or better yet''do they want to improve''..1+1=11..made in thailand

And Thailand leaps into the 90s. Sigh.

It happens to be midterm week at my school and I had the pleasure of proctoring a Thai math class. I didn't know it was a math class at first because the exam paper was all in Thai - no numbers, equations or expressions to be seen anywhere. It must have been all word problems. The poor kids.

I figured out it was a math test as I was collecting the answer sheets and saw the students doing simple math like balancing ratios and calculating percentages. About a third of the answer sheets were blank - they didn't even take a guess. And this is the equivalent of high school where kids should be up to trig and pre-calc by the time they are seniors.

As for science: well, being that I'm a science teacher, I'm happy to hear it. But I hope it's not just window dressing with no substance. Presently, I'm asked to teach several kinds of practical science courses in a school that has no labs or experimentation tables of any kind. There's absolutely no hands-on component. How a student is supposed to grasp applied science without ever touching it is beyond me.

These kids are paying dearly for their education and they're getting bare-bones.

Edited by attrayant