Retirement visa for Expat over 50 with Expat wife in her 30s

I'm 55 years old if I applied for a Retirement visa can I get my wife and my two small boys included on my application as dependants. My wife is an Expat but she is in her 30's and our two small boys are 5 and 8. We would like to put them into a International school. This is more complicated than the regular retirement visa application

Do you have a visa from an embassy or an extension of stay you got at immigration?

If you are on an extension of stay based on retirement your wife and children can get extensions as your dependents. They will need non-o visas to apply for the extensions and if they don not have them now they will need to go out to a nearby embassy or consulate to get them.

The dependent extensions will be easier than getting the ED extensions for the children.

Do you have a visa from an embassy or an extension of stay you got at immigration?

If you are on an extension of stay based on retirement your wife and children can get extensions as your dependents. They will need non-o visas to apply for the extensions and if they don not have them now they will need to go out to a nearby embassy or consulate to get them.

The dependent extensions will be easier than getting the ED extensions for the children.

We are in Australia and considering the option of retirement visa since I'm over 50.

Edited by StarEnergy

If you are considering a OA long stay visa from the embassy it is not the visa for you. Your family would not be able to get dependent extensions based upon on an entry from it

I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates (Sydney is not one) based upon you being 50 or over . See here for contact info: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/consulate.html You could also get single entry non-o visas for your family so that they could then get extensions after you have yours.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or 65K baht income proven by statutory declaration from the Australian embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht when you apply for your extension of stay at immigration.

correct me if i am wrong but i am sure i have seen on here for foreign retired couples requiring 2 by 800,000 from some offices, samui i think.

and more info, if the young wife is on retirement extension from/for older husband, can she work with work permit ?

Edited by blogger

What I understand from your post is I should go to Brisbane and apply for a single entry Non Immigrant O visa stating "After arriving in Thailand I will apply for a retirement visa". And also apply for my wife and children for an Non Immigrant O visa. Then after arriving and I get the retirement visa get extensions for them on the basis that I have a retirement.

But I thought to get an Non Immigrant O visa you need a sponsor letter from an organisation in Thailand?

That would be a visa for a volunteer. Non-o visas can be issued for many reasons. One is for being 50 or over for retirement. For your family members it will be to accompany you as your family members.

When you enter with the non-o visa you will then apply for an extension of stay (It is not a visa) based upon retirement. Once you have the extension stamp in your passport your family can then apply for extensions of stay as your dependents.

What I understand from your post is I should go to Brisbane and apply for a single entry Non Immigrant O visa stating "After arriving in Thailand I will apply for a retirement visa". And also apply for my wife and children for an Non Immigrant O visa. Then after arriving and I get the retirement visa get extensions for them on the basis that I have a retirement.

But I thought to get an Non Immigrant O visa you need a sponsor letter from an organisation in Thailand?

everybody arrives in Thailand with single entry None O type visa obtained in your home country

You then proceed to get a retirement extension (not called a visa) based on retirement for one year - you need 800k baht in Thai bank account or a combination of income (home country) and Thai bank balance equalling same probably seasoned for 2 months

all your dependants then apply for extensions based on your extension

when the process is complete you will all be on extensions of stay based on your retirement

"everybody arrives in Thailand with single entry None O type visa obtained in your home country"

Everybody? I don't think so.

So you are suggesting we should get multiply entry?

No it does not mean that. You only need a single entry.

It was a reply to a statement that was to general in it's content. Not everybody has a non-o from their home country nor do they all have a non-o.

everybody arrives in Thailand with single entry None O type visa obtained in your home country

Not true! I, for example, originally arrived in Thailand in 2008 with a multi-entry Non-OA type visa obtained in my home country (UK)!!

Not true! I, for example, originally arrived in Thailand in 2008 with a multi-entry Non-OA type visa obtained in my home country (UK)!!

what are you going on about

My statement above is simply explaining that all of his family should have single entry type O before leaving home - this sets them up for the process they need to follow in Thailand with local immigration - maybe the "everyone arrives" confused you - I was referring just to his family which is what the thread is about - All of you should arrive - might have been easier for you to understand

A Type O-A is a retirement visa obtained (not multi anything) a person gets in their home country provided they meet the criteria in their home country - it allows someone over 50 to stay in Thailand for up to 12 months with the option to extend

whistling.gif

I'm 55 years old if I applied for a Retirement visa can I get my wife and my two small boys included on my application as dependants. My wife is an Expat but she is in her 30's and our two small boys are 5 and 8. We would like to put them into a International school. This is more complicated than the regular retirement visa application

-----------------------

ubonjoe

Here I;m confused.

Yes they can all get visas into Thailand as his dependents.

No problem there.

But once he gets his retirement extension it was my understanding he could "piggyback" only one person based upon his extension.

If that is his wife......can he get his two children also?

Or can he or his wife also get the children to stay in country as they are minors and dependent on their parents?

That would seem logical but I don't know.

I'm unsure about the rules .... I assumed it was one retiree, and one person that retire could sponsor.

Is that wromg?

whistling.gif

-----------------------

ubonjoe

Here I;m confused.

Yes they can all get visas into Thailand as his dependents.

No problem there.

But once he gets his retirement extension it was my understanding he could "piggyback" only one person based upon his extension.

If that is his wife......can he get his two children also?

Or can he or his wife also get the children to stay in country as they are minors and dependent on their parents?

That would seem logical but I don't know.

I'm unsure about the rules .... I assumed it was one retiree, and one person that retire could sponsor.

Is that wromg?

Wrong. It is not only for one family member.

From police order.777/2551 Clause 2.22 is for retirement

2.20 In the case of being a family member of an alien permitted a temporary stay in the Kingdom under Clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13, 2.14, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17, 2.21, 2.22, 2.26, or 2.29 hereof or Section 34(7) (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):

correct me if i am wrong but i am sure i have seen on here for foreign retired couples requiring 2 by 800,000 from some offices, samui i think.

and more info, if the young wife is on retirement extension from/for older husband, can she work with work permit ?

I have completed more than 5 extension of stays on Samui my wife is a farang like me I only have to show my letter from the Embassy stating my pension exceed the 65,000 baht per month my wife's passport is stamped as a dependant we have never been asked to provide 2x65,000 or 2x800,000 baht at any time.

• Like 1

You may need to consider the timing of you and your families visas.

(The visa is what gets you in, extensions are what let you stay for long periods, re-entry permits let you go out and come back within a visa or extension validity)

If you all got say a 90 day Non Imm O visa's, at 30 days before they expire (45 days at some Immigration offices) you have to apply for your one year retirement extension, the money (min 800kb) needed to be in your bank (dual accounts require twice the funds) for min of 60 days before the application date or you get the letter from your consul proving that you have a regular monthly income in an outside bank of not less than 65,000Baht. You will pay a fee for this letter (the Brits charge about £50 and two visits to the consul, apply one day, collect the letter the next day). If you use the bank method, it costs about 100b and the seasoning period is 60 days for the first application and 90 days for subsequent applications.

Providing that your paperwork is in order you will get the extension stamp on the day of application. (It would be normal to apply for any required re-entry permit at this time too)

Now you can apply for the extension stamps for your dependants, again it must be within the 30 or 45 days prior to their expiry.

If you intend to leave Thailand and return you must each have a re-entry permit in your passport or you will lose the extensions and cannot return. You would have to start over.

There is a multi re-entry permit at 3,8000b or single re-entry permits at 1,000b each.

So it depends how many times you intend to leave and return during the currency of your one year extension.

I assume it would be best if all your extensions were obtained/renewed at the same time to avoid repeated trips and queues in the immigration offices.

With the retirement extension you may not obtain a work permit - ever.

(I have no idea if a dependent would be allowed to have a WP)

Ubon joe will know and from what he said so far,it looks like the children can also go to school on their dependent extensions, Joe - can his wife attend school on her dependent extension and get a WP?

Remember to make your 90 day reports to your local immigration office. A form must be filled in for each family member who has resided in Thailand for 90 consecutive days and presented to immigration and repeated every contiguous 90 days.

If you use a re-entry permit, the 90 days start again from the arrival date. The forms for everything are downloadable from this forum.

It may sound complicated but it's nothing compared to trying to get a Thai wife to visit the UK (we got turned down.....).

Get your paperwork right, have signed copies of the bank book, passport, entry stamp and entry card etc, the passport pic of the right size on photo paper and the fee(s) and it's a breeze.

Good luck

Anybody can attend school with any type of entry or extension. There is no requirement to get a ED visa or extension to attend school.

A work permit for a dependent extension would depend upon where it was a applied for.. The only requirement is that it must be a non immigrant visa entry to get it issued. But some offices have their own rules.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"everybody arrives in Thailand with single entry None O type visa obtained in your home country"

Everybody? I don't think so.

All he meant is that everyone in the O/P's family should come to Thailand using a Non-Imm O visa, not that everyone who has ever entered Thailand had a Non-Imm O visa.

Once again, what should be a fairly simple, straight forward answer to the question originally asked has become a confusing circus of incoherency as everyone chimes in with comments.

• Like 1

We did exactly this OP. My husband was over 50, but I was only 49 my first year in Thailand. Our two kids were going to attend an international school in BKK. Our school did require them to have a proper visa for admittance. We had two options - to do exactly what Ubonjoe suggested, or to have the kids on ED visas. Either approach starts with the first step of getting the 3 month non-immigrant O visa in your home country. When you get to Thailand you have to get a bank account and deposit the required amount in it, and have it age for 60 days. With 30 days left, you can get your extension of stay based on retirement, and get a multiple entry status at that time if you want (which is what we did).

We chose to put the kids on ED visas (our int'l school had to write a letter to immigration stating the period they're in school, and we had a slight glitch when the period of school year didn't perfectly overlap the year we were asking for, and that required a new letter but it all worked out) and we got ours as their caretakers. That way required us to tie up only 500k apiece in the bank. We could have done it as Ubonjoe suggested and have my husband on retirement visa and the three of us as his dependents. Our understanding is that would have required 800k x 2, but we didn't go that route so I'm not certain. We've just done our extension for our 4th year here, and have never had a problem.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

I asked a lawyer regarding the same but they have no kids. You both should get a Non Immigrant O Visa before you enter Thailand. You can easily get the visa if you have 800 000 in the bank or regular income of more than 65000 Baht. The retirement visa will cost you 1800 Baht. You wife will also be on your visa and she need not need any financial prof as the main person on retirement visa is you. Probably the same will apply for your kids. I do not know where you live but you may be able to get the same retirement visa and a one year visa for your wife from the Thai Embassy in the country you live. Good luck

I have completed more than 5 extension of stays on Samui my wife is a farang like me I only have to show my letter from the Embassy stating my pension exceed the 65,000 baht per month my wife's passport is stamped as a dependant we have never been asked to provide 2x65,000 or 2x800,000 baht at any time.

So your not getting 2x retirement extensions your getting one retirement extension and one dependent extension..

Hence the one set of money (or income declaration).

Still keeping on topic for the OP,

My wife is also a farang and is a dependant on my retirement extension.

I'm going to switch from showing income to having 800,000 Baht in the Bank. (I am fed up with the UK's £50 tax each year!)

As we are both farang can this 800,000 Baht be in a joint account? I understand it can not be in a joint Thai Farang account.

Why do I want this - if anything happens to me then my wife can easily access the money for her own use.

Still keeping on topic for the OP,

My wife is also a farang and is a dependant on my retirement extension.

I'm going to switch from showing income to having 800,000 Baht in the Bank. (I am fed up with the UK's £50 tax each year!)

As we are both farang can this 800,000 Baht be in a joint account? I understand it can not be in a joint Thai Farang account.

Why do I want this - if anything happens to me then my wife can easily access the money for her own use.

I think that a joint account requires double money.

the money only has to be in your acct for 60 days the first time and 90 days for subsequent times.

as soon as your extension is granted you can move the money anywhere you like. Just be sure it is in your acct 90 days before the next extension. Kasikorn charge me 100 Baht. Any branch can do it.

I would add say 1,000b to the account on the day I request the letter and have the book made up.

I am also mindful to get the book made up as soon as the funds are there because they will aggregate a bunch of transactions into a single line and this can make it difficult for Imm to accept that the money was in there for the required number of days.

One plan might be:

Getting Non Immig O Visa's for all in AU before coming here. Use those to convert to:

a retirement visa for the OP

a caretaker visa for OP's wife

ED visa's for the kids, with a supporting letter from the School.

• 1 year later...

If you are considering a OA long stay visa from the embassy it is not the visa for you. Your family would not be able to get dependent extensions based upon on an entry from it

I suggest you get a single entry non-o visa from one of the honorary consulates (Sydney is not one) based upon you being 50 or over . See here for contact info: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/consulate.html You could also get single entry non-o visas for your family so that they could then get extensions after you have yours.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or 65K baht income proven by statutory declaration from the Australian embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht when you apply for your extension of stay at immigration.

Hi Ubonjoe. Is the OA retirement visa issued in own country no good because you can't get extension of stay for their children in Thailand? I thought if husband was issued with OA in own country the depedents get an non O visa which they can then extend at immigration in Thailand?