Happy siblings reunite in Paris

webfact

Happy siblings reunite in Paris
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

30239426-01_big.jpg
Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra is seen hugging his sister Yingluck at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. These photos were posted on Instagram by Thaksin

Thaksin's children post pics of their father hugging Yingluck at airport

BANGKOK: -- Former PM Yingluck Shinawatra has publicly reunited with her brother former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who is in self-imposed exile from Thailand, for the first time in almost six years.

Oak Panthongtae, Thaksin's son, yesterday posted a photo on Instagram of Thaksin hugging a woman.

Meanwhile, Thaksin's youngest daughter Paetongtarn posted another picture with a caption that read, "Brother and sister after not seeing each other for three years. Family is everything."

The woman was later confirmed to be Yingluck.

The former premier left Thailand early yesterday to meet her brother in Paris for his 65th birthday celebration tomorrow.

Yingluck encountered an army of reporters at Suvarnabhumi Airport at 10pm on Wednesday when she arrived to check in for her flight to Paris. Yingluck, accompanied by her son Supasek Amornchat, departed Bangkok on Thai Airways International Flight 930, which left for Paris five minutes after midnight. She earlier told reporters at Suvarnabhumi Airport that she would return to Thailand on August 10 as scheduled.

"I want to take a vacation. Let's talk after I've come back," Yingluck replied when reports shouted at her asking if she would come back.

Yingluck received permission from the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to leave the country on a European trip some time between last Sunday and August 10.

It was reported that Yingluck and those accompanying her travelled to France with 15 pieces of luggage.

As well as Thaksin's youngest daughter Paetongtarn, former foreign minister and deputy prime minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul was also seen at the airport. He said he had received permission from the NCPO to leave the country to attend the birthday event and was scheduled to return to Thailand on Sunday.

NCPO spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said Yingluck's trip was a personal one. The NCPO considered on a case-by-case basis whether to allow people who had previously been subject to a travel ban to go abroad.

He said those permitted to go overseas this time are aware that their trips would attract attention so they would be unlikely to "act inappropriately".

He said the media should not presume that Yingluck would not return.

In September 2006, Thaksin was ousted from office by a military coup while on a trip to the United States. On February 28, 2008 - some 17 months after he first left Thailand - the ex-leader returned home after the People's Power Party won the first general election held after the coup and formed a government headed by Samak Sundaravej.

Just two months before the Supreme Court's Criminal Division on Political Office Holders was due to deliver a ruling in a case against him in the Ratchadaphisek land case, Thaksin sought permission and was allowed to attend the Beijing Olympics with his then-wife, Pojaman. In early October 2008, the court found him guilty of conflict of interest and sentenced him in absentia to two years in jail.

He has not returned since then.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Happy-siblings-reunite-in-Paris-30239426.html

[thenation]2014-07-25[/thenation]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Family is everything"

While I would sympathise with Paetongtarm's sentiments, one exception would be, if one is elected to a position of high public-responsibility/trust.

Putting the country ahead of family-interests is then expected, while in-office, in most countries.

• Like 1

NCPO spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said Yingluck's trip was a personal one.

Yet ...

As well as Thaksin's youngest daughter Paetongtarn, former foreign minister and deputy prime minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul was also seen at the airport

Scheming and a plotting what I wonder blink.png 

yes summer in Paris, its a wonderful time, i have great memory of this city in july...i understand she want to relax in the french riviera ot make some shopping at the Louis Vuitton shop....

but in other hand at the next thai election, Yingluck will again win...laugh.png  yeah she will win again!

Actually i am pretty sure if she was allowed to run for the next PM in England against cameron... she will win also easilywhistling.gif

This will come back to bite the NCPO in the ass Big Time. It is inevitable the current warm fuzzy glow around the NCPO will wear thin. This happens everywhere. All governments/administrations enjoy a honeymoon period.

Taksin and Yingluck are quintisentially perfect Opposition poster pinups for the inevitable disillusion. And they have the added advantage of being untouchable, no country (outwardly) supports a coup. Bad move. 

yes summer in Paris, its a wonderful time, i have great memory of this city in july...i understand she want to relax in the french riviera ot make some shopping at the Louis Vuitton shop....

but in other hand at the next thai election, Yingluck will again win...laugh.png  yeah she will win again!

Actually i am pretty sure if she was allowed to run for the next PM in England against cameron... she will win also easilywhistling.gif

I have my doubts that she would be able to point out England if you showed her a map of the Commonwealth of Nations.

I think you would have to explain what a map is first, it appears she struggles with the concept of maps, as she couldnt find parliament either when she was PM....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1