NCPO pushes ahead with plans to reorganize Thai beachfront areas

webfact

I think if it is illegal you will find the Junta can touch whatever they want. Simple really. Whether it is 20 yrs ago or 32 yrs ago if it is illegal encroachment on public land then should the Junta choose to...they can bulldoze it. Who is going to stop them?

Sorry but I disagree. Until now the Junta worked on a strict application of laws, even for Military. In Phuket by example they have respected the "30 years prescription on constructions". They have asked Land Office to provide a description of the beach as it was 30 years ago and only removed what has been added since.

The NCPO last night must have used the word "transparency" 100 times in the General's speech. That above all else, if effectively implemented, will benefit Thailand long-term as it will expose those trying to grab "their share" of the government largesse. That the General stressed transparency so repeatedly tells me he is serious about zero tolerance for corruption. Nothing like everybody knowing for a fact you are a thief to completely lose face ( and maybe a earn little free time in your favorite prison).

I agree with others here, the old pols had evidence of corruption and ignored it. Now they are out of power and they accuse everybody of corruption without any evidence.

I'M WTH THE GENERAL UNTIL ...

• Like 1

Looks like I am the only one with this opinion, but I want the deck chairs, parasols and cold drinks back to the beach.

Very happy to pay THB 200.- for a little comfort on the beach and a relaxing day.

Many Chinese-Russian will not pay for chairs, go to the south Jomptien where Russians occupy expensive condo's they take towels and food and drink to the beach and sit directly on the sand. Nothing wrong with it but locals do not gain from their holidays much.

My opinion is have patches of chairs/beds with toilet facilities / the rest a natural clean beach taken care of by the local authority.

It is not the Russians fault that they occupy the condos, obvioulsy they paid for them and others didn't want to. If others sit on the now cleared beaches and bring their pick nick, than it is exactly what is is wanted. However, cleared beaches ( in Phuket ) actually look and smell like a dumpster, thanks to the clearance. No business =no cleaning, as authorities don't feel responsible for this, obviously.

Support your suggestion to rent out beaches for business, as it would be a controlled win - win for everybody and leave some patches free for whatever.

This model is used for decades in southern Europe already.

• Like 1

Looks like I am the only one with this opinion, but I want the deck chairs, parasols and cold drinks back to the beach.

Very happy to pay THB 200.- for a little comfort on the beach and a relaxing day.

Many Chinese-Russian will not pay for chairs, go to the south Jomptien where Russians occupy expensive condo's they take towels and food and drink to the beach and sit directly on the sand. Nothing wrong with it but locals do not gain from their holidays much.

My opinion is have patches of chairs/beds with toilet facilities / the rest a natural clean beach taken care of by the local authority.

It is not the Russians fault that they occupy the condos, obvioulsy they paid for them and others didn't want to. If others sit on the now cleared beaches and bring their pick nick, than it is exactly what is is wanted. However, cleared beaches ( in Phuket ) actually look and smell like a dumpster, thanks to the clearance. No business =no cleaning, as authorities don't feel responsible for this, obviously.

Support your suggestion to rent out beaches for business, as it would be a controlled win - win for everybody and leave some patches free for whatever.

This model is used for decades in southern Europe already.

It wasn't the Russian/Chinese people I was digging at in particular but the way that some people go to the beach regardless of money and want to enjoy it in it's natural state, give people choices, and in the meantime clear the rubbish element from most sites.

The buying of the condo's was not meant in that way, it was a point that all walks of life can enjoy.

But I will say that the 2 nationalities although welcome tourists rarely spend money that directly benefits locals. They are peoples that rarely mix, but their tourism is welcomed all the same.

Anybody know more about the 52 businesses being removed in Hua Hin in what area? It seems part of the buildings in the pier carpark have been removed in the last week. I parked my car in the car park last week under the big concrete roof, this morning I was astounded to see all had been removed in less than a week.

<In Hua Hin, authorities are combating the encroachment of structures on beaches in order to return them to their natural state. 52 business operators are to be removed as part of the ongoing effort.>

I wonder if that includes the condos that have encroached below high tide mark? If they do remove the encroached "land" they won't have much space between the buildings and the beach.

Hopefully it will happen.

I wish they'd look at sorting out the sewage issues on Koh Tao. I've just returned from a week there and, on some parts of the island, the smell of sh*t is overpowering. Added to that is the local taxi mafia and price fixing, meaning it's cheaper to get a train south from BKK than it is to do a kilometre by taxi on the island. I understand the cost of transporting fuel and goods from the mainland but some of the prices, especially basic food items, leaves a sour taste. And with the ever increasing construction and building up of coastal areas is ruining gulf life. How far will they go before it's too late?

Sorry to hear it. That island used to be a little slice of paradise 10 years ago. Great place to learn diving. Great restaurants by the waterfront where you lay on those floor mat things instead of chairs. We always just rented scooters. No sewage smell back then and a few nice secluded coves with simple hut accomodation. I'm guessing it's all been overdeveloped by now. Used to be a very relaxing place. Not overrun by backpackers who mostly all went straight to Koh Pha nang or Samui.

Edited by lapd

Happily bring your own deck chair, parasol, and ice chest. Since the mafia was running/controlling those illegal beach businesses you were supporting the mafia. The mafia needs to have its sources of income stifled.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wish they'd look at sorting out the sewage issues on Koh Tao. I've just returned from a week there and, on some parts of the island, the smell of sh*t is overpowering. Added to that is the local taxi mafia and price fixing, meaning it's cheaper to get a train south from BKK than it is to do a kilometre by taxi on the island. I understand the cost of transporting fuel and goods from the mainland but some of the prices, especially basic food items, leaves a sour taste. And with the ever increasing construction and building up of coastal areas is ruining gulf life. How far will they go before it's too late?

Sorry to hear it. That island used to be a little slice of paradise 10 years ago. Great place to learn diving. Great restaurants by the waterfront where you lay on those floor mat things instead of chairs. We always just rented scooters. No sewage smell back then and a few nice secluded coves with simple hut accomodation. I'm guessing it's all been overdeveloped by now. Used to be a very relaxing place. Not overrun by backpackers who mostly all went straight to Koh Pha nang or Samui.

You can still dive on the island. There are so many dive operators you're literally tripping over them but you can't find anywhere on the island away from the hammering, sawing and general construction. Sairee Beach has always been a bit of a toilet but a short walk south of the pier and you're on a building site. Concrete appears to have replaced the old bamboo shacks and those that still stand are in a dilapidated state awaiting demolition. The island does appear more family orientated and I think that backpackers are avoiding Koh Tao as they are priced out of the market however there's a large number of flashpacker and trustafarian types happily overpaying for everything. It's sad to see it go this way. Albeit inevitable I guess.

• Like 1