Legal way to run a Labuan Offshore Company from Thailand?

Malaysia has a very attractive option for an offshore company setup using their federal territory Labuan.

A foreigner can set up a company with only a minimum of 1 shareholder and 1 share needed.

So you can essentially set the share price at 1 dollar and have basically no upfront capitalization costs to show.

The set-up time is very quick, and there is a low corporate tax rate.

For more details: http://siamstartup.com/news/thailand-boi-company-vs-malaysia-labuan-international-company/

It's also possible to get a renewable 2-year business visa easily after starting a Labuan Company.

It sounds great from a business perspective, although I'm not necessarily keen on living in Labuan or anywhere else in Malaysia.

Penang is OK enough for short visits, but don't know if I'd want to live there.

So I was wondering if there is a practical way to establish a company using this offshore structure, and yet be able to stay long-term in Thailand.

What kind of visa can you get?

Do you have to establish some sort of Thai branch office to get a work permit?

I've heard of others registering their businesses in HK and running them from Thailand. What setup would work for that?

And what advantage does HK have over Labuan?

Sorry for so many questions. biggrin.png

a branch office won't work. for a work permit you need a full-fledged Thai company with all the restrictions (majority Thai share holders) and hassles (employing 4 Thais per 1 work permit for foreigners) attached.

And what advantage does HK have over Labuan?

no tax vs. USD 6,000 p.a. Labuan tax. but like any foreign company the HK company cannot be used to obtain a Thai work permit.

Edited by Naam

• 7 years later...