Timing for Best Flight Deals?

james.d

Hello All,

Could anyone be so kind to inform if its better to leave booking a flight till the last minute (not literally) or as far in advance as possible?

I am due to go back to South America next week.

Are expedia, kayak etc much the same?

Thank you in advance,

BR,

James.

You are already almost last minute! Fares tend to go up the closer to departure. But sometimes, you can get a great deal. You can also get stuck with a fare way above what you could have gotten a few months in advance. They say the sweet spot for fares is 4-8 weeks in advance.

The first post here has lots of good sites to use to check fares. Personally, I check on almost every one. And they go to the airlines directly and book the flight. Normally, I'll get the same fare, or very close.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Have to agree with Craigt3365 on this one except for the sweet spot. I found that for flights to and from Europe it's about 3 months beforehand.

Can possibly find a cheaper flight later on but the odds are very slim indeed.

Don't know if flights to South America follow the same trends but would surprise me if they didn't.

Check out the booking sites and once you've decided check the airlines website, might give you the same rate or even cheaper in some cases, since some of the booking sites are late on specials.

Even local travel agents sometimes have interesting alternatives.

Good luck

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

It's possible too that you can bid your own price on priceline.com or hotwire.com. Not sure if they work outside the U.S. No harm in trying if they do. I think it works for flights in addition to rooms. Check out better*bidding.c0m also. Worth a try.

From experience...I always wait till closer to the date...usually out of procrastination and not being very organised...and it always costs me more than if I had booked when first looked, usually a few weeks prior.

In the last year I have twice taken flights on short notice. They cost me a bomb, despite searching every airline around, and using all of the search sites. But I wanted to go, so paid up.

Last time that I was better organised, I flew to Australia for just under 9,000 thb - about $300. Booked 4 months prior. On Air Asia's little seats with no free food, drinks etc. And the stuff they sell isn't worth buying anyway. But at that price I can carry on my own roast pheasant, beluga caviar and 100mls of Camus XO cognac.

Dont bother with skyscanner kayak expedia or any of that lot. Just use Travelsupermarket which beats the rest 99.9% of the time. Kayak is particulary useless !!

To answer OP in my experience 4-6 weeks in advance

Edited by Chivas

Hello All,

Firstly thank you for the sites and info, i am still searching ,but looking at Air Berlin BKK (operated by Etihad,anyone have any experience?) to Miami under 60K THB. Then will book to my final destination of Haiti.

The travelsupermarket site is for UK endusers as far as i could see.

Than you again,

James.