Frustrated Siam Map Company makes a dengue warning sign for stagnant water

webfact

Frustrated Siam Map Company makes a dengue warning sign for stagnant water

sam1.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- The Siam Map Company that is located on the lower part of the ring road in Moo 3 Bophut has been struggling with lack of drainage that causes a large puddle outside their office every time it rains. The water can often stay there for weeks at a time, becoming stagnant, smelly and mosquito infected, which is very dangerous when there is a dengue fever epidemic on the island.

Since moving into the office 10 years ago, they have repeatedly asked the tessaban and highway department to make a drain system. 5 years ago they finally made one, unfortunately they made it on the high side of the road where there is no water to drain.

Despite contacting both of the above on several occasions, and them coming to see for themselves, they each claim it is the others responsibility and nothing is done.

Six years ago a young woman drowned in the water after a motorbike accident!

Frustrated with the smell, danger and dengue fever risk eventually they took matters into their own hands and had a sign printed warning everybody of the danger of their mini swamp that reads Warning – Mosquito Breeding Ground.

The Siam Map Company was established in 1997 and is Samui’s premier publisher producing high quality, high performance advertising publications providing free information for tourists.

xstimes.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EXTclkoej2.webp
-- Samui Times 2014-07-25

"...unfortunately they made it on the high side of the road where there is no water to drain."

I remember that! cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Absolutely Amazing Thailand...

having worked in Africa where things like this have been known to happen also, the thing is these actions can quite conceivably be the result of a conclusion from a planning meeting attended by all involved. But I could be wrong.

"...unfortunately they made it on the high side of the road where there is no water to drain."

[/q

uote]

So everybody stood around watching these diligent workers digging away for days and days,ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD---And nobody had the sense to say anything to anybody-------- until it is all finished and the new "puddle"arrives

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder how I would cope in life without Thai Visa's breaking news stories. I really would be ignorant to these major events and I sincerely thank you Thai Visa for keeping me in the loop.

Im suggesting you guys for the Pulitzer Prize. Reporting like this, deep from the trenches, deserves nothing less.

• Like 1

[/q

uote]

So everybody stood around watching these diligent workers digging away for days and days,ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD---And nobody had the sense to say anything to anybody-------- until it is all finished and the new "puddle"arrives

Actually plenty of people told the workers and the manager at the site when they started, and both manager and workers agreed it was the wrong side, but they had orders. Further they claimed drainage would be made on both sides which of course would be overkill, but would at least solve the problem.

Evidently it was only made on the wrong side.