'Unusual rice' found at 15 per cent of warehouses

Lite Beer

'Unusual rice' found at 15 per cent of warehouses
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The junta says it is committed to inspecting the quality and quantity of rice stored at government granaries nationwide, as well as bringing charges against any people found involved in fraud or non-transparent activity.

Soldiers have checked nearly 47 per cent of the 1,787 warehouses stocking pledged rice nationwide, since they were ordered to do this early this month.

"Of that, 126 granaries [15 per cent] were found to have unusual rice, and the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records," National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said last night.

As for releasing rice from the state stockpile, he said the NCPO had agreed to a plan proposed by a committee - to release 18 tonnes of rice over the next three years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Unusual-rice-found-at-15-per-cent-of-warehouses-30239529.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-26

• Like 1

This is a wholesale wrought if every there was one. Seems like the family ran back in and grabbed everything they could lay their hands on before the whistle blew.

I am reminded of those supermarket games where customers are given two minutes to fill a shopping trolley and keep anything they collected for free.

There was always 1 crafty shopper who has a good look round the store before playing, to spy out the more valuable items. Focusing play on collecting these.

• Like 1

So . . . of the warehouses checked so far, there are inconsistencies with 15% of them . . . which is slightly more than ZERO which is what Yingluck claimed. t this stage, she either:

1. Knew about it and lied about it all on the basis that they'd get elected for another 4 years and could cover it all up.

2. Didn't know about it.

I don't see it gets any simpler than that, and as the person ultimately in charge of it all, she should be held accountable, both legally AND financially. If she knew about it, she lied. If she didn't know, she's an idiot and still responsible.

It said 15% unusual rice. If you find that close to zero add it on to the tax you pay.

That aside it did not say anything about the amount of rice missing. Nor did it say wither the unusual was better or worse.

Just a normal half hearted attempt by the Nation to report some thing. I am surprised people buy them.

So that's what 840 billion baht buys you in Thailand, an 18 million ton rice mountain that is 15% unusual rice and 10% of registered rice missing. So that's 1,628,750 per ton

They paid the farmers, "The payments will total Bht 195.45 billion for 11.8 million tonnes of rice" That is So that's 16,287 per ton for a total of 294,000,000,000 Bht

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

were found to have unusual rice, and the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records,

Would that "unusual rice" be remarkably similar to rice grown in Myanmar, Cambodia, and Lao?

Yes. The Economist did a piece on this about two years ago.

Edited by razer
  • Like 1

So . . . of the warehouses checked so far, there are inconsistencies with 15% of them . . . which is slightly more than ZERO which is what Yingluck claimed. t this stage, she either:

1. Knew about it and lied about it all on the basis that they'd get elected for another 4 years and could cover it all up.

2. Didn't know about it.

I don't see it gets any simpler than that, and as the person ultimately in charge of it all, she should be held accountable, both legally AND financially. If she knew about it, she lied. If she didn't know, she's an idiot and still responsible.

She would gladly pay the 1 ton of unusual rice at 15% of the warehouses. As we don't know what they mean with unusual and the volume of that unusual rice and the fact that she will have her day in court, lets wait to hear all the facts before playing jury and executioner. If we as a country want to move forward we need to accept the western norm of someone being innocent until proven guilty. If we neglect to follow this principle there will be no justice in the country and thus no future. The modern version of a kangaroo court, the internet, is in danger of destroying the law system, by putting people on trail and finding them guilty without due course of law. Let the court decide if she is guilty or not and if she is guilty let the court decide her punnishment, the same that I expect the courts to do with AV and Suthep in the 2010 clampdown cases.

2. Didn't know about it.

She would gladly pay the 1 ton of unusual rice at 15% of the warehouses. As we don't know what they mean with unusual and the volume of that unusual rice and the fact that she will have her day in court, lets wait to hear all the facts before playing jury and executioner. If we as a country want to move forward we need to accept the western norm of someone being innocent until proven guilty. If we neglect to follow this principle there will be no justice in the country and thus no future. The modern version of a kangaroo court, the internet, is in danger of destroying the law system, by putting people on trail and finding them guilty without due course of law. Let the court decide if she is guilty or not and if she is guilty let the court decide her punnishment, the same that I expect the courts to do with AV and Suthep in the 2010 clampdown cases.

Where did you get 1 ton of rice from?

We're talking about 15% of ALL warehouses checked so far showing irregularities. And from previous statements we are talking about 1,000's of tons of missing, rotten, illegal rice, not 1 ton.

I have my opinion and I've stated it, but the actual legal process of investigating, charging and convicting where appropriate is ongoing, hardly a kangaroo court.

2. Didn't know about it.

We're talking about 15% of ALL warehouses checked so far showing irregularities. And from previous statements we are talking about 1,000's of tons of missing, rotten, illegal rice, not 1 ton.

I have my opinion and I've stated it, but the actual legal process of investigating, charging and convicting where appropriate is ongoing, hardly a kangaroo court.

By finding someone guilty before they are found guilty in a court of law you are turning the forum into a kangaroo court. I was sarcastic about the 1 ton incase you missed it, neither you nor I know the extend of the unusual rice and what it is. You chose to climb on the bandwagon and condem, I chose the the rule of law path.

Where I come from the case would be considered sub judice, for your info :

"In law, sub judice, Latin for "under judgment", means that a particular case or matter is under trial or being considered by a judge or court. The term may be used synonymously with "the present case" or "the case at bar" by some lawyers.

In England and Wales, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Canada, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Israel it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process."

were found to have unusual rice, and the type of rice in storage was not the same as that listed on the records,

Would that "unusual rice" be remarkably similar to rice grown in Myanmar, Cambodia, and Lao?

or just high quality rice in the books and low quality in the stock?

So that's what 840 billion baht buys you in Thailand, an 18 million ton rice mountain that is 15% unusual rice and 10% of registered rice missing. So that's 1,628,750 per ton

They paid the farmers, "The payments will total Bht 195.45 billion for 11.8 million tonnes of rice" That is So that's 16,287 per ton for a total of 294,000,000,000 Bht

2011/2012 saw the government buy 23 millions tonnes of paddy, 2012/2013 around 24 million tonnes, 2013/2014 I don't know, but seems to be less, maybe only 14 million tonnes ?

Paddy processed and turned into rice gives a 30% to 35% reduction it would seem. That would mean the government ended up with 40 million tonnes of milled rice. Same is sold locally for local consumption, some sold to exporters, some remaining.

Would be interesting to see the actual figures on this.

Well, if we would apply that:

- all senior management of Central/ Federal Reserve banks after the big bank crash

- all Financial Secretaries and Prime Ministers including the EC Commission after the Greek Euro disaster

would have ended up in court

Just my 2 pence...

2. Didn't know about it.

By finding someone guilty before they are found guilty in a court of law you are turning the forum into a kangaroo court. I was sarcastic about the 1 ton incase you missed it, neither you nor I know the extend of the unusual rice and what it is. You chose to climb on the bandwagon and condem, I chose the the rule of law path.

Where I come from the case would be considered sub judice, for your info :

"In law, sub judice, Latin for "under judgment", means that a particular case or matter is under trial or being considered by a judge or court. The term may be used synonymously with "the present case" or "the case at bar" by some lawyers.

In England and Wales, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Canada, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Israel it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process."

Jing Lor? I come from Canada and I am pretty sure that people talk about, and comment on just about every single high profile case you can think of since the beginning or recorded history (yes I know, Canada has not been around that long, but i hope you get what I am going at here.) before the court verdict has been announced.

But please....don't do it about the poor Yingluck administration.

• Like 1

Even my 5 year old knows that the rice pledging scheme was just a giant con to fleece the country of billions. Why can't they just say it. Unusual rice may ass. Unusual culture more like it.

There is a Bob Wills' song, Take Me Back to Tulsa, with these lyrics: "The little bee sucks the blossom, the big bee gets the honey. The little man rears the cotton, the big man gets the money." Bob Wills should have visited Thailand.