What Bank To Choose?

intending to open a bank account as one step towards emigration.

are there any recommendations to give, especially regarding western (european) standards, loyality, interest rate, loan, security and service?

thx for your comments and experiences.

Loyalty, loans etc - you must be joking - this is Thailand :o

Some things they are good at _ ATM functionality is generally very good as you can transfer money, pay utilities etc.

Counter services can be very slow.

Checking accounts and internet banking require work permits before you can get them.

Interest rates are a joke and often not available to non Thai's :D

Overall, I rate Bangkok Bank as the most efficient overall because they are almost everywhere including supermarkets and malls. Many people mention Bank Of Asia which is part owned by ABN Amro (or at least it is until they sell it off which has been announced) has a Western sence of understanding however there network is not that great which may cause you some problems. Also THai Farmers Bank, Know called Kassikorn or something like that seems quite agressive as well.

Hope this helps

BBL is the best bank in Thailand from my experience but I am a fan of Bank of Ayudhya as t/t and swift payments are cleared within 48 hours or at most 72 hours.

(Some T/T's from Australia take just 24 hours and I tried to wire it to my BBL account and it took 4 days)

Checking accounts and internet banking require work permits before you can get them.

I do not really remember if it is the case with Siam Commercial bank but I have an account with them.

The advantage is the internet banking. I can transfer money,pay bills, check the balance on my account or on my Visa card,..., and I very, very seldom go to the bank.

I am using already 5 years Bank of Asia (Korat location)

Have my ATM card (printed a list of offices and ATM in Thailand to be prepared when on travel).

Tranfer of money (each 3 months) from Holland within 2 days on my account.

Control the account via internet without problems.

Am in a doubt what will happen after ABN is selling their 80%!

I am also looking for security in the future.We will need a 1,5 mil Thai Baht on our account and I don't want some bank crisis blow up this safety/quarantee money