Windows 8 Won't Give Options When Printing

Chao Lao Beach

So every other windows when you press print you get options, like print Odd Even pages.

Windows opens my stuff in these clumsy stupid Apps and when printing it doesn't even give me bl00dy options like before, only some options, Are there any secrets to printing double sided or has MS decided I am not allowed to print double sided anymore ?

No option for this even on the MORE OPTIONS button.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

I've noticed the same thing with my windows 8.1. When printing from Microsoft word I have access to all the regular options but if I print from a .pdf using the default windows 'app' the options are gimped. Pretty annoying indeed.

That is exactly what is happening, the "old" PDF's setup gave all the options, I am using classic shell but it still opens PDF's in this stupid App that is very limited with massively less features of old.

Anyone know what to do ?

If you go to the apps screen you will see a great big tile. On it it has the words Print Management written. Click on this and you will see the various printers you have. Click on the printer you want and you will see stacks of options.

That is exactly what is happening, the "old" PDF's setup gave all the options, I am using classic shell but it still opens PDF's in this stupid App that is very limited with massively less features of old.

Anyone know what to do ?

Install a regular desktop-mode pdf reading programme like Adobe Acrobat Reader http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ (or one of the many other free pdf reading programmes that are available). Then change the default programme for opening pdf files away from the built-in tiled app to whatever full programme you just installed.

You will now find that pdfs open exactly as they did in Win7, with all the usual print options and other options you would get from any normal desktop mode software.

In the same way you can dispense with the Win8 image viewer app if you dont like it, and indeed there will be a desktop mode replacement somewhere for all the tiled Win8 apps like Mail etc etc (except some system apps).

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

If you go to the apps screen you will see a great big tile. On it it has the words Print Management written. Click on this and you will see the various printers you have. Click on the printer you want and you will see stacks of options.

Every MS windows upgrade forces you to drill down with more mouse clicks to do the same thing in previous versions. I wonder what the s/w engineers or designers are thinking. Certainly not making the interface more productive.

Actually, in the Windows 8.1 PDF printer app, you can bring up some options by moving your finger (or mouse) into the lower right (or maybe left) corner of the app window. They will then pop up.