"Storing" Truck for Undetermined Time

My wife and I are going back to the US for an undetermined time due to illness in the family.  We could be gone 2 months or 6.  I'd guess no matter what the circumstances, one of us would return within 6 months.

I'm not sure what to do about storing our 2008 Toyota Vigo.  We have a carport, so it's out of the sun/rain.  Should I leave the battery alone or remove it?  I know to use moth balls in the engine compartment and under the vehicle to keep varmints out...we live in the countryside.  Are there any other suggestions to keep the vehicle in reasonably good shape and keep varmints out?

I use two different types of float battery chargers that I brought with me from the UK.

Both work well but given your absence is for an indeterminate period I would not recommend using such a charger in your case.  As the charger operates over time the electrolyte level in the battery will drop.  You would need to have someone you trust to check the electrolyte level periodically and top up with distilled water or the battery will die.  That implies giving them access to the property and either leaving the hood open or giving them a set of keys to the truck.

I would just pull the battery out and work on the assumption it will be dead when you return.  It will have some trade in value dead.

You could go to the effort of putting the truck on axle stands and storing the wheels separately in a secure place.  The idea here is to avoid the tyres going out of balance through sitting on the same contact patch for a long period.  It might also offer a minor deterrent to theft as any thief would have to bring four Vigo wheels and tools with them and spend time fitting them.

If that is too much work I would just put an extra 10 psi in the tyres and leave it at that.

I have experience with rats and vehicles in Thailand.  They seem to particularly like eating the insulation off electrical cables but they are also capable of chewing through plastic trim panels.  I tried poisoning them with Ars.  Wonderful name and widely available but you have to be careful with placement to avoid endangering cats, dogs and small children.  Not that it worked.  The rats seemed to munch it up like breakfast cereal.

They only ever went for one car which, naturally, was the most exotic and expensive one.

In the end we solved the rat problem by moving the rat car to another part of the country.

If you can find a good battery manager, like this...

http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FQBWCY

Better than removing it...

I have this one.....and it is great

I have it too, yes they are :)

You can leave them on for 6 months and your battery will not be dead when you get back. They don't float charge, they detect battery loses and just top up when necessary.

I would remove the battery and leave it inside connected to 1 of these 'smart' chargers. No worries.

I have two CTEK chargers which is the type I meant when referring to float chargers.

The battery electrolyte level does drop over time with these.  

One advantage with the CTEK is that if there is a power cut it reverts to the settings you put into it when the power comes back on.  The other brand I have switches off every time there is a power cut.

The "wikihow" article is pretty good, with the exception of one item - fuel.

If you use gasohol, do NOT store it full - the alcohol will damage your fuel system and engine.  Either store it empty (completely empty) or make your last fill with pure gasoline.

If you use diesel, try to locate some premium diesel and use that.

Here you go...

http://www.wikihow.com/Store-a-Car

It's real easy to Google smile.png

Thanks for the tips.....any advice on diesel.  Should I leave the tank full or nearly empty or add additive or do nothing?

Edited by Rotweiler

Been storing my car and bike in Canada for 10 years - 6 months at a time.

Same Same Storage in Thailand.

Charge battery, disconnect battery cables. fill tires to about 60 psi. Fill gas tank - gasahol OK - after adding some phase separation chemical. I use Max 44.

Change engine oil and filter.

Put on car cover. Get on airplane.

I have returned to Canada end January, temps -40 C, plugged in car, reconnect battery cables, turn key - Zoom.

Same in Thailand. Except for the temps !!

Run the full tank of gasoline just about dry on return, and add some fuel injector cleaner to the next couple of tankfulls.

Got a diesel ?  Use diesel fuel conditioner.

Never a problem, car or bike.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All this talk of disconnecting BOTH battery terminals, then removing the clamp and lifting the battery out. All totally unnecessary, just disconnect the negative terminal. Job done.

When you reconnect it make sure the door is open as central locking systems do sometimes lock upon battery reconnection.

You may also have to recode your radio.

Re diesel, just leave as is. Will start after 6 years, let alone 6 months. Diesel does not go off as petrol does.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  

I plan to leave 3 or 4 rat traps (the one that trap a rat inside, not crush it) around the truck.....and a few bags of large-size moth balls scattered around the truck and a few inside the engine compartment....to ward off any critters.  

With any luck, I'll return in a few months and all will be fine.  Thanks again.

Not a common problem with diesel fuel, and I have never heard of it in Thailand, but ...

There have been instances of algae growing in diesel fuel. Strange but true. If allowed to reproduce unchecked, this nasty stuff will clog fuel filters in a heartbeat.

Here in the Colonies I have only heard of a few instances. Only seen one - what a mess !!