Do you wear motorbike protection and does it really help?

the most important thing is having the mentality to wear full gear including a full face helmet while not being trapped by your ego whispering to you:  "no need for gear, you ride very very good, nothing will happen to you"

IIRR last year you were wearing fingerless gloves, jeans and a very light mesh jacket at speeds up to 180kmh. What has changed your mind that much?

Imo it makes a big difference what bike you own, what speeds you go and whats your "personal risk level". At +200kmh you are definitely stupid riding without very good gear. At 50kmh i sometimes ride with flipflop, which of course is stupid too. Between 50kmh and 200kmh everyone has to decide on his own. Being comfortable in your gear is as important as the safety level of the gear. Many psychological aspects of safety too, its not only the question "What gear protects the best?". Humans often tend to behave illogical, e.g. things like risk compensation come to my mind.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will go shopping now with my Nouvo scooter at Mega Bangna.
I will wear:
- Safety Jogger "Best Boy" workboots
- 5.11 "Tactlite Pro" pants
- RevIt "Air Wave" jacket with back protection insert
- RevIt "Sand" gloves
- Real full face helmet

All this at speeds below 90kmh biggrin.png

• Like 1

the most important thing is having the mentality to wear full gear including a full face helmet while not being trapped by your ego whispering to you:  "no need for gear, you ride very very good, nothing will happen to you"

IIRR last year you were wearing fingerless gloves, jeans and a very light mesh jacket at speeds up to 180kmh. What has changed your mind that much?

Imo it makes a big difference what bike you own, what speeds you go and whats your "personal risk level". At +200kmh you are definitely stupid riding without very good gear. At 50kmh i sometimes ride with flipflop, which of course is stupid too. Between 50kmh and 200kmh everyone has to decide on his own. Being comfortable in your gear is as important as the safety level of the gear. Many psychological aspects of safety too, its not only the question "What gear protects the best?". Humans often tend to behave illogical, e.g. things like risk compensation come to my mind.

Nothing changed my mind wantan.
Jeans was padded, jacket although light has back protector with full protection.
Fingerless glowes? Still wear them at times but even them have a palm slider and proper protection.
Helmet? Full face shoei, the best you can.
Boots was proper.
So what?
You had zero gear when you were riding yoir cbr150. What changed your mind?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

JacChang Just go and *&&&^&%& yourself _))*)(*()*(&&

Yea, screw you too loser. Walk away from a 200km crash without a crash. I'm sure your words are worth something. Go join that ll2, I'm sure you guys can hold hands while biking.

Walk away from a 200km crash without a crash????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah man keep riding your Scoopy. Obviously you've never ridden over 300Kph and never will. FYI you can't keep a 3/4 helmet on above about 180 so I know you are talking through your Gary Glitter.

Anyone who doesn't wear a full face helmet and appropriate gear is mentally retarded or soon will be.

I survived a head on collision with a pick up at close to 200 Kph. Virtually without a scratch and just some bruises.

However I was wearing about 100k baht of gear. The longer you get away with not wearing gear the slimmer your chances become.

I survived a head on collision with a pick up at close to 200 Kph. Virtually without a scratch and just some bruises.

attachicon.gif551383205_dr_evil_right_thumb_xlarge.jpeg

Andre keep worrying about the slippery parking spots in for your scooter Chiang Mai. That's what you know best.

• Like 1

Walk away from a 200km crash without a crash????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yeah man keep riding your Scoopy. Obviously you've never ridden over 300Kph and never will. FYI you can't keep a 3/4 helmet on above about 180 so I know you are talking through your Gary Glitter.

Brilliant, how original.

But... FAIL

It's easy to boost your ego and assume others ride less "manly" motorbikes than you. Just doesn't work on me, last time I remembered my bike was one of the top supersport bikes.

Haha 300km/h? What's to boast about that? What a girlie... Nothing hard about gearing up to 6, putting all your weight forward, and turning the throttle and being streamlined with your front windscreen. Do you want an award for getting 300km/h? clap2.gif My attic would probably be filled if there was.

180km/h is no problem for the helmet, it's about 240km/h and above that your helmet starts to shake at the ever slightest non streamlined portion to the front windscreen. Get your numbers right.

Hello ll2 fan cheesy.gif

Hey,children....back to the classroom....biggrin.png

...in my case,I always tried to 'dress up' wearing jeans and some light jacket,shoes...and helmet(not the full face thou).Now,thanks to this tread(and other on this subject before),I've learn about the 'special' gear,so it is very helpful to read all this...well,most of this anyway...tongue.png  smile.png

• Like 1

Jeans was padded, jacket although light has back protector with full protection.
Fingerless glowes? Still wear them at times but even them have a palm slider and proper protection.
Helmet? Full face shoei, the best you can.
Boots was proper.
So what?
You had zero gear when you were riding yoir cbr150. What changed your mind?

Come on, you still ride with cheap fingerless gloves at 180kmh? How can fingerless gloves have "proper protection"? The jeans was padded? What for? At 180kmh it would have just ripped of in a split second without kevlar. And your Komine mesh jacket was just a joke and any armour it had would not have stayed in place in case of an accident. Simply worthless imo. So there were some short quality boots and a proper helmet. Better than nothing at least.

I asked what changed your mind because reading this thread you sound like a preacher for safety gear. This wasn't the case last year. Last year you made statements like "Accidents do not happen every day" and "I am an experienced rider without any accident for years", when people pointed at your insufficient gear. Funny how quickly you seem to forget.

Why not just answer my question? What made you change your mind?
  • Like 2

Anyone who doesn't wear a full face helmet and appropriate gear is mentally retarded or soon will be.

However I was wearing about 100k baht of gear. The longer you get away with not wearing gear the slimmer your chances become.

attachicon.gif551383205_dr_evil_right_thumb_xlarge.jpeg

Andre keep worrying about the slippery parking spots in for your scooter Chiang Mai. That's what you know best.

REALLY??..is that the best you can do?..But yeh, yeh..you are right...at 65 years age that is about all i need to worry about now..thumbsup.gif thanks for your sincere concern , even tho it was only posted as a warning to any other riders to just be aware...bah.gif 

You must have received quite a bump on the head if you really expect anyone at all to believe that you survived a near 200khp impact..with a few bruises... its physically impossiblecoffee1.gif 

Edited by andreandre

I survived not putting myself in a position to have a 200kph crash. If you had one you would be dead! A body can not sustain an impact like that, impossible you are writing the truth.

• Like 1

I survived not putting myself in a position to have a 200kph crash. If you had one you would be dead! A body can not sustain an impact like that, impossible you are writing the truth.

Did I say I hit a brick wall at 200Kph?  I don't think so. Moto GP riders survive these incidents all the time. Unfortunately I bounced off a pick up too. Just goes to say what top quality gear will do for you. Whether you believe me or not I really couldn't give a toss. I know the truth and if you are a betting man put your money where your mouth is and you can come and see the Police reports.

Well, this thread has gone to shit, but I'll post up a list of my gear and review some of it:

Alpinestars Orbiter suit- great suit for the street- will work on the track as well, but there are better choices- I wanted something I could stand up straight and walk around in
Dainese Rebel perforated leather jacket- great jacket with good airflow, but the white sections get dirty easily
Dainese G. 3 Air textile jacket- I pretty much gave up on textile jackets, but this is a good one
Teknic Violator perforated leather jacket- fantastic jacket I wear most often- too bad Teknic went under
Vanson Properf Mark 2 Sportrider jacket- absolute top quality, but I can't find a back insert to fit into the weirdly-shaped pocket
AGV Sport Topanga perforated leather jacket- never wore it- the price of $150 was a steal, though
Icon Stryker Rig armored mesh jacket- lots of airflow, but zero abrasion resistance
Alpinestars T-GP Plus Air textile jacket- still has the tags on it
AGV Sport Willow perforated leather pants- very good pants at a great price
Teknic Chicane leather pants- really nice quality, but no airflow
Alpinestars A-10 Air-Flo textile pants- very protective with decent airflow
Drayko Kevlar jeans- protective, but run hot
Spidi Race Vent gloves- awesome full-gauntlet hot-weather gloves
Knox Handroid gloves- top-notch protection, but quite bulky
Alpinestars Supertech R boots- along with the Vortices, the best you can get- a bit technical for a Sunday ride
Sidi Vortice vented boots- see above
Alpinestars SMX-1 boots- great short street boot, but sacrifices safety for comfort
Shoei RF-1100- best all-around helmet (likely surpassed by the RF-1200)
Shoei GT-Air- fantastic helmet, but gets shaky at higher speeds
Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest
Dainese Norsorex vest
Oxford Bone-Dry rain suit made to go over leathers

Wow.. where do you store all this stuff? :-)

So what's your go to set for run of the mill daily commute / around town type of rides?

^

Storage is an issue- I plan on building a new house soon that will have dedicated gear space.;)

My favorite, fun-but-not-overly-aggressive ride set-up is either helmet (lately the GT-Air as I like the drop-down visor and it has my Sena headset installed- I do feel the extra ounces on a long ride, though), the Teknic jacket with a back protector in the insert pocket, the Spidi gloves, the Drayko jeans (with separate hip and knee armor) and the SMX-1 boots. I rotate in most of the other stuff (though not all of it- I can't say every purchase was smart...). Some things like the other boots (especially the Sidis) or the suit are reserved for more serious rides as, frankly, they're a real PITA to deal with (especially the suit, which I sometimes need help to get out of, which isn't fun when I need to take a leak:)).

Cool. Sounds sensible to me, and very similar to the kind of gear I wear.

Shark Speed-R with sun visor a la GT-Air

RS Taichi gloves

Maxler kevlar lined jeans with knee protectors (CE rated) and hip pads (non rated) - I may change the hip pads at some point, need to figure out size and where to get them

Dainese wicking balaclava to keep the sweat away from my eyes (I think this is the number one issue with the heat for me)

SMX-6 perf boots - they're surprisingly flexible and comfortable even for walking around the shopping mall. I pull the jeans over them and they're all black so I don't look like a stormtrooper / robocop.

Dainese Laguna Evo leather perforated with Dainese Air Shield CE level 2 back insert. Above 40 Km/h the jacket flows air well but below it not at all. I think I'll add the Dainese Air Frazer as a lighter jacket for when it gets ultra hot March/April. 

I also wear a wicking long sleeve base layer from Under Armor HeatGear which helps especially once I get to my destination as it dries very fast and doesn't stick like cotton.

Personally I'd rather be hot than increase my risks of hospitalization and worse. Sure, there are no guarantees, but tilting the odds in my favor are good enough of a reason to go ATGATT.

• Like 1

Yeah i ride at 180 kph all the time actually my speedo starts from 180 kph!
Funny you assume, you remember my posts from last year.
Another member of ll2 fan and fun club!
So thank guys turning this thread to a proving ground and full of split presonalities.

Seems i was right about his strange change in "thinking about safety gear" as ll2 is starting his typical insults laugh.png
Btw i feel sorry for him if he cannot remember the things from one year ago.

But whatever, as long as we see millions of thais riding without helmet everyday there is no need to call others stupid for not wearing proper gear.

This "human thingy" is an interesting aspect when it comes to riding gear. Some questions come to my mind:

• Do some people not wear proper gear because they fear to lose face?
  • Do some people buy powerful bikes to have an excuse for wearing proper gear? wink.png
  • Do some people wear expensive gear to be accepted by others?

Sure there are countless combinations of such thoughts and their consequences. Just look at the title of this thread ("Do you wear motorbike protection and does it really help?"). There is a very huge influence what others are doing when it comes to wearing riding gear.

• Like 2

Regarding full face vs. other types of helmets. I'm sure many of you have seen this diagram based on a study done for crashes and impact to the head. Sustaining an impact to the right hand side plus left hand side of the chin area amount to 34.6% of cases. To each his own but these odds, the risk level of crashing your face in vs. the reward of half face comfort are just not attractive to me.

Edited by rambling

Did I say I hit a brick wall at 200Kph?  I don't think so. Moto GP riders survive these incidents all the time. Unfortunately I bounced off a pick up too. Just goes to say what top quality gear will do for you. Whether you believe me or not I really couldn't give a toss. I know the truth and if you are a betting man put your money where your mouth is and you can come and see the Police reports.

Now you change to" Unfortunately I bounced off a pick up too.'

Your words earlier were; I survived a head on collision with a pick up at close to 200 Kph

Big difference huh?

Bit confused aren't you...you're comparison to  MGP riders is totally irrelevant ..they could never have a ''head on'' as you initialy claimed that you did.

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

Well, this thread has gone to shit, but I'll post up a list of my gear and review some of it:

Alpinestars Orbiter suit- great suit for the street- will work on the track as well, but there are better choices- I wanted something I could stand up straight and walk around in
Dainese Rebel perforated leather jacket- great jacket with good airflow, but the white sections get dirty easily
Dainese G. 3 Air textile jacket- I pretty much gave up on textile jackets, but this is a good one
Teknic Violator perforated leather jacket- fantastic jacket I wear most often- too bad Teknic went under
Vanson Properf Mark 2 Sportrider jacket- absolute top quality, but I can't find a back insert to fit into the weirdly-shaped pocket
AGV Sport Topanga perforated leather jacket- never wore it- the price of $150 was a steal, though
Icon Stryker Rig armored mesh jacket- lots of airflow, but zero abrasion resistance
Alpinestars Supertech R boots- along with the Vortices, the best you can get- a bit technical for a Sunday ride
Alpinestars SMX-1 boots- great short street boot, but sacrifices safety for comfort
Various armor from Knox, Forcefield, and Alpinestars for back, hips, knees, chest
Dainese Norsorex vest

jeez you need a freaking truck to move all this gear with you, sucky situation

Dainese Norsorex vest

jeez you need a freaking truck to move all this gear with you, sucky situation

I for one have learned a lot. No such thing as too much knowledge.

Thanks to RSD for his gear recs - always a pleasure to read your posts.

For the others - the 'My way or the Hiway' types, the ones who if you disagree with them the insults start, The totally off the topic posts which do nothing for anyone ...

You remind me of teenage girls. Everything is High Drama. Everything is directed at you - good or bad.

Read my signature - it is on every post. If you want to know what it means - PM

Imo it makes a big difference what bike you own, what speeds you go and whats your "personal risk level".

Im not sure that when some f**kwit Somchai in a pickup jumps the lights or does a u-turn without looking, it'll make much difference what you're riding. Sometimes shit happens and all the defensive riding in the world won't help, though of course, riding at higher speeds obviously lessens the amount of time one has to react to the situation.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

...and kinetic energy goes up by the square of velocity.

Dress for an accident , sorry , but one day you will have one. Protection works best when worn !.

I was a bloody mess, had only shorts and a tank top, half the skin off my arms, stones in my elbow, two busted fingers, chipped tooth, ...lucky for the head (skid marks on my soft cap).  The bike just slid out from me, and I went feet first, bike before me. somehow just rolled....both sides, back, front, and then the teeth hitting the pavement.

Yeah...you need something.