Korat airport

Tayida

Strictly speaking Korat airport is not a functioning airport. It is however a fully functioning RTAF base and a main base for F-16s. The RTAF have always been extremely reluctant to allow civilian flights there and only did under duress, I flew there with Thai over 25 years ago. The demand for civilian flights was always low due to the frequency of the air-con buses. What are they these days about every 20 minutes.

While you are correct that the Korat civilian airport is closed down, even when it was open, it never shared facilities with the Air Force or Army, see below:

At the bottom of the first site you will find the chart showing the location in relation to the military fields.
http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportnakhonratchasima.html

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportkhoratmilitary.html

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportkhoratarmy.html

The Korat airport was built miles away from the city centre which is another reason nobody can make flights to korat work. If you have to drive distance to get there in a taxi or a minibus you might as well go to BKK by road and save some cash. Before this white elephant airport was built the Thai Airways flight used to use the nearby Korat Air Force Base 10 or 15 minutes from town.

Strictly speaking Korat airport is not a functioning airport. It is however a fully functioning RTAF base and a main base for F-16s. The RTAF have always been extremely reluctant to allow civilian flights there and only did under duress, I flew there with Thai over 25 years ago. The demand for civilian flights was always low due to the frequency of the air-con buses. What are they these days about every 20 minutes.

While you are correct that the Korat civilian airport is closed down, even when it was open, it never shared facilities with the Air Force or Army, see below:

At the bottom of the first site you will find the chart showing the location in relation to the military fields.

The Korat airport was built miles away from the city centre which is another reason nobody can make flights to korat work. If you have to drive distance to get there in a taxi or a minibus you might as well go to BKK by road and save some cash. Before this white elephant airport was built the Thai Airways flight used to use the nearby Korat Air Force Base 10 or 15 minutes from town.

Is that not the same as I said in post 23, I guess you dont read the posts from previous pages then....lol

HL biggrin.png

Is that not the same as I said in post 23, I guess you dont read the posts from previous pages then....lol
HL biggrin.png

Sorry about that I was just clarifying that there are two airfields/airports/air base in Korat both have had airline flights in the past.

HL biggrin.png

Sorry about that I was just clarifying that there are two airfields/airports/air base in Korat both have had airline flights in the past.

If you had read beyond the quoted post, you will find my ackowlegement of my error and apology.....

That being said, I can find no information about the Army facility in Korat except for the aeronautical chart..... if possible how about some information on who/when flew into Korat Army. We know Thai Air flew into the RTAF facility up until Korat Civilian opened (Early 90's).

The army facility is about 2 or 3 miles from the Air Force base down some small lanes. It has choppers and possibly a small landing strip for fixed wing light stuff. I don't know if any airlines have ever used it. The bus from korat to Pak thong chai goes past the airbase.

I have flown to/from Korat out of Don Muang with Thai Air about 12 years ago.
.....and yes, the airport was miles away from Korat city itself..... Edited by soihok

Who cares about airport? Shees you guys get all wrapped up too easy. Only way there now is bus or taxi. Dont need no stinkin history debate or lesson....take the bus. :)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Who cares about airport? Shees you guys get all wrapped up too easy. Only way there now is bus or taxi. Dont need no stinkin history debate or lesson....take the bus. smile.png

blink.png ...stinkin history debate ....?

Who cares about airport? Shees you guys get all wrapped up too easy. Only way there now is bus or taxi. Dont need no stinkin history debate or lesson....take the bus. smile.png

Oh, I wasn't aware that the train no longer stops in Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat)....... when did that happen?

Why i want take the plane from Chiang Mai to Korat?Becuase i could be there in 1 hour,or so

Why i no want take the bus from Chiang Mai to Korat?Because the fastest one is the first one in the morning:it leaves from Avenue at 3.45 and arrive Korat 16.40

If you can choose,2fishin2,what would you choose?Still the bus?

Why i want take the plane from Chiang Mai to Korat?Becuase i could be there in 1 hour,or so

Why i no want take the bus from Chiang Mai to Korat?Because the fastest one is the first one in the morning:it leaves from Avenue at 3.45 and arrive Korat 16.40

No I would drive myself from CNX to Korat in 9 hours.

No I would drive myself from CNX to Korat in 9 hours.

Well, if Tayida is set on flying, go for it!

Despite claims on here that the airport is closed down technically it"s not...... The terminal is shut down because there are no scheduled flights, the runway has gone from a controlled airfield to an un-controlled airfield. thumbsup.gif

All that is required is that you call AOT at the specified number at the bottom of the chart, I think 48 hours before your scheduled arrival to get your clearance. 2 years ago the fee was 2500 Baht, which included someone meeting the plane and opening the gate and returning a few days later to let us back on the ramp.

All Tayida has to do is charter a plane or sucker a pilot with a plane into flying him down from Chiangmai. Will take longer than an hour though..... 350 miles direct (Need GPS), using standard NAV aids around 450 miles. Typical rental aircraft range from 100-150 mph so we are talking 3-4 hours + the weather! whistling.gif

During the monsoon season, the chances are you would hit a lot of clouds, your typical rental aircraft will not be capable of flying above that beautifull white carpet, so now you need an instrument rated aircraft and an instrument rated pilot ($$$$$$$) and it won't be a pleasant trip. bah.gif

I'm with Khwaibah on this, drive a car, you will probably need transportation when you get to town anyway. tongue.png

Edited by Diablo Bob

Whatever you like. You got the money and want to fly charter your own airplane and fly from Chiang Mai, be my guest. If you cant afford that, no choice take the bus! I worked in Korat for several years and the best way to get there is bus.

Well, if Tayida is set on flying, go for it!

Despite claims on here that the airport is closed down technically it"s not...... The terminal is shut down because there are no scheduled flights, the runway has gone from a controlled airfield to an un-controlled airfield. thumbsup.gif

I know the airport is closed,i not stupid.

Whatever you like. You got the money and want to fly charter your own airplane and fly from Chiang Mai, be my guest. If you cant afford that, no choice take the bus! I worked in Korat for several years and the best way to get there is bus.

I not got money for a private flights:if i got money for rent a plane,be sure i no spend my days working 12 hours for just 120.000 baht.

Me too i have worked there for 5 years

i did major major research for that route when i went in may/june as i had to meet my husband in his muu baan outside of korat ... in the end, i took the airline that goes to don muang and he met me there and we drove straight to the muubaan (before korat, after chockchai...

but even the flights had different pricing on different days and at different hours.

my original plan had been to take a train /bus to korat but the 'stopover' to change bus or train wasnt worth it; the train out of bangkok , in the end, didnt seem worth it as it seems that only one is an express. all the others stop like everywhere adn dont run on time, and ot major sightseeing routes. i checked every which way: stops in kon kaen, sleep over somewhere along the way, transfer from train to bus to buriram, in the end just flew to bangkok...i preferred to save time rather then money, taking in to acount the amounts i would spend for drinks/food etc along the long way.

ive done the bus VIP route , not bad, a/c, same morlum slapstick movie both times, cheap, but hten i have to get transport to soeng saeng and then to the muu baan...

i checked out prices for mini vans, on a korat specific forum they list prices for someone u can call in advance with references.... in the end i didnt use him as i preferred the cheapo method, and then hubby came anyway to get me.

Have not worked through the whole thread, but really the best option in my opinion is flying CNX to Don Mueang (DMK) and then on the road.

From DMK you are out quickly to Korat. About 227 km via highway 1 and 2.

(don't go to Suvarnabhumi)

The once a week flight CNX to KKC goes on Sunday,

Expensive and using turboprop as far as I know.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Doing my first trip last week:

- Thuesday take the Thai Airways first morning flight from CMX to Savannabhumi(1600 baht)

- once there taking a taxi,with the fixed rate,3500 baht

- Friday afternoon back to Savannabhumi with the same guy for the same price(3500 baht)

-Take the last Thai Airways flight from Savannabhumi to Cmx(1600 baht)

Total of 10.200

Next time better find a cheapest solution

Doing my first trip last week:

- Thuesday take the Thai Airways first morning flight from CMX to Savannabhumi(1600 baht)

- once there taking a taxi,with the fixed rate,3500 baht

- Friday afternoon back to Savannabhumi with the same guy for the same price(3500 baht)

-Take the last Thai Airways flight from Savannabhumi to Cmx(1600 baht)

Total of 10.200

Next time better find a cheapest solution

4.000 baht in fuel I can drive it RT.whistling.gif

• Like 1