Korat airport

Tayida

In the next two months i will travel a lot from Chiang Mai to Korat:i quite sure(but if wrong please tell me)the korat airport is close:so how can i reach the isaan city quickly by air?Thank you

I would say your best option is to fly to Khon Kaen.  From the airport, you can get to the minibus terminal in about 10 minutes, and minivans leave for Korat every 1/2 hour from 6:30am to 6PM.  The trip to the Korat bus terminal takes 2 and 1/2 hours, and that method would be faster than flying to Bangkok, and then VIP bus to Korat, and much more convenient and faster than taking a long VIP bus ride from CM to Korat.

• Like 1

I would say your best option is to fly to Khon Kaen.  From the airport, you can get to the minibus terminal in about 10 minutes, and minivans leave for Korat every 1/2 hour from 6:30am to 6PM.  The trip to the Korat bus terminal takes 2 and 1/2 hours, and that method would be faster than flying to Bangkok, and then VIP bus to Korat, and much more convenient and faster than taking a long VIP bus ride from CM to Korat.

There are no flights from CNX to KK Only CNX to Udon and CNX to BKK or Don Meaung.

Udon to Korat 310 km

BKK to Korat 265 km

CNX to Korat by road 715 km. About 9 hours if you drive.

Edited by khwaibah

There are no flights from CNX to KK Only CNX to Udon and CNX to BKK or Don Meaung.

I thought I read a few months ago a new service was starting?  My mistake?

* I remember now it was a new airline called Kan Airlines, but not sure if they ever started.

Edited by keemapoot

I thought I read a few months ago a new service was starting?  My mistake?

CNX to Ubon yes but NOT Udon.

Thank's a lot.i will check Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen and after by road to Korat

My mistake:no cm-kk flight.sorry.What about going Buriram?

Zero. Korat is a place that you can not get to by air. Nok Air has three flights per week from Don Mueang to Buriram.

Zero. Korat is a place that you can not get to by air. Nok Air has three flights per week from Don Mueang to Buriram.

i really dont understand:the third largest city in Thailand with a closed airport..Anyway i will fly Bkk and be to Korat bu taxi or bus....will see..thanks again

i really dont understand:the third largest city in Thailand with a closed airport..Anyway i will fly Bkk and be to Korat bu taxi or bus....will see..thanks again

The last commercial flights into Korat about 10 years back. Its a Royal Thai Air Force Base. Because of it closeness to Bangkok its never been economical sound for commercial flights. Trains and buses have the transportation sowed up for this area. 

Fly to Don Muang airport in Bangkok, it is on the road to Korat and you will bypass most of the Bangkok traffic. Just avoid the trips on holidays. If you are going to be doing the trip on a routine bases, try to find a taxi driver from Korat who would be glad to go home and if you are only going to be there a couple of days he could take you back. A wild guess for a return trip would be ฿4,000 to ฿6,000 maybe ฿7,500.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Issangeorge

Chiang Mai to DM airport. Bus from Mo Chit to Korat no traffic about 3 hr 30min Korat back to Mo Chit normal about 3hr 30min - upwards of 5 hr ( yes thats true if on friday evening) did the bkk to korat run MANY times I cant count them all Edited by 2fishin2

Strictly speaking Korat airport is not a functioning airport. It is however a fully functioning RTAF base and a main base for F-16s. The RTAF have always been extremely reluctant to allow civilian flights there and only did under duress, I flew there with Thai over 25 years ago. The demand for civilian flights was always low due to the frequency of the air-con buses. What are they these days about every 20 minutes.

Strictly speaking Korat airport is not a functioning airport. It is however a fully functioning RTAF base and a main base for F-16s. The RTAF have always been extremely reluctant to allow civilian flights there and only did under duress, I flew there with Thai over 25 years ago. The demand for civilian flights was always low due to the frequency of the air-con buses. What are they these days about every 20 minutes.

You forgot to mention that you have to drive an hour the wrong way out of town just to get to the airport and so by the time you have checked in for the flight and loaded up you are almost to Bangkok on the bus.
Also the bus fare is only 229 baht or so which is a darn sight less than the flight and taxi out to the airport.
So anybody with a head on their shoulders is always going to choose the bus unless they live next to the airport.
HL

While you are correct that the Korat civilian airport is closed down, even when it was open, it never shared facilities with the Air Force or Army, see below:

At the bottom of the first site you will find the chart showing the location in relation to the military fields.

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportnakhonratchasima.html

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportkhoratmilitary.html

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportkhoratarmy.html

Hello All, the Korat Airport is out Hwy. 226, about 6 years back they had

a shuttle bus from town to the airport.(went past my Soi off Hwy.226).

The RTAF planes fly over our house(6Km out) on the western approach.

The buses haven't gone back to the every 20 min. since the BKK flood.

At night time the are over a hour between departures, the old bus station

off Hyw 2, R. at the first street past the intersection where Big G and the

new bus station is to the L.

rice555 

While you are correct that the Korat civilian airport is closed down, even when it was open, it never shared facilities with the Air Force or Army, see below:

At the bottom of the first site you will find the chart showing the location in relation to the military fields.

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportnakhonratchasima.html

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportkhoratmilitary.html

http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/linkairportkhoratarmy.html

tso,

I must apologize, after some research, I found out that until 1990, the RTAF base was used for civilian use, again, Sorry!

The last commercial flights into Korat about 10 years back. Its a Royal Thai Air Force Base. Because of it closeness to Bangkok its never been economical sound for commercial flights. Trains and buses have the transportation sowed up for this area. 

Thats not correct. There was an airline flying to Korat from Bangkok a few years back. It wasn't a success.

Edited by Jimbo

Thats not correct. There was an airline flying to Korat from Bangkok a few years back. It wasn't a success.

Your correct it was Thairegional and went tits up.  http://www.thairegionalairlines.com  

Your correct it was Thairegional and went tits up.  http://www.thairegionalairlines.com

Forgot about them. Also not sure if Air Andaman flew there. Another in the long list of failed domestic carriers.

Edited by tso310

Just noticed  that Kan Air is staring flights form CNX to Khon Kaen and KK is closer to Korat than BK. http://www.kanairlines.com/main/

i tried many different days,but always sold out

They are just starting this route. You may need to call and confirm with them.

Someone told me yesterday that the new Ubon to CNX route has a 6 seater only and is sold out already up to Xmas, so KK maybe the same. On the other hand I would not rely on bar talk - check it out yourself, phone as well as internet!