Sea Freight ?

battersea

I have a load of books (probably a large suitcase full 15kg) ...and i would like to take them to Thailand..Does anyone have advice on the best way to send them ?

I have heard that sending them via air or sea freight might result in a few "extra" customs charges....

I am in UK... any ideas ... Parcelforce..excess baggage ...dhl ??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I would send it via post if you do not need them urgently. With a forwarder you will incur export and import clearance fees which easily alone can result in 300-400USD. Usually you would as well be hit by customs charges, except you have a work permit and it would be your first import. Other option would be excess baggage. Depending on the airline it might turn out cheaper as some have a fixed fee.

15 kilo's still leaves you with 5 kg. worth of clothes etc., apart from what you can stow in your carry-on luggage. Why not leave some clothes at home, bring the books over in the airplane, and if need be buy some clothes cheaply in Thailand?

Alternatively you might consider buying an e-reader. Mine weighs in at a hefty 300 grams, and contains 2000 + books. Enough to last me a life-time.

There is a special US Postal rate for printed media called Airmail M-Bags, which may suit your requirements

see:

https://www.usps.com/ship/airmail-mbags.htm

Getting them from UK to USA though might put the dampeners on that project ;)

OP check around the airlines a lot will give you 30kgs basic in cattle class (45/50kgs with FF gold card status), more if you upgrade.

• Like 1

There is a special US Postal rate for printed media called Airmail M-Bags, which may suit your requirements

see:

https://www.usps.com/ship/airmail-mbags.htm

Getting them from UK to USA though might put the dampeners on that project wink.png

OP check around the airlines a lot will give you 30kgs basic in cattle class (45/50kgs with FF gold card status), more if you upgrade.

Sorry, missed the UK in your post

The M Bags service already posted is offered in the UK too by Royal Mail but you need a contract account with RM in order to use it.

You can send as "printed papers" (which is the same as the M-Bags service) from a post office, but it's expensive, see prices here: http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder/printed-papers

OP our retail business in the UK has a Royal Mail account and could send 15kg of M Bags at cost price for you, PM if interested. You'd need to get them to Cheshire. £50 is my rough estimate. Customs fees once inside Thailand would be 7 baht per parcel.