Backers mark Thaksin's birthday

Lite Beer

Backers mark Thaksin's birthday
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A celebration for ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra's 65th birthday by avid supporters and red shirts at the Imperial Department Store in Lat Phrao was cut short yesterday on the order of military officials.

Singthong Buachum, a legal adviser to Pheu Thai Party, said that Thaksin's admirers and red shirts who work at the department store held a merit-making ceremony and put up a big picture of Thaksin and former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to celebrate Thaksin's birthday yesterday.

But at 1.30pm, he said military men ordered them to remove the picture and stopped the celebration.

The Love Chiang Mai 51 group also held a celebration for Thaksin and religious rites at Wat Sri Bunruang in Chiang Mai. They sang the Happy Birthday song, blew out candles and chanted "We love Thaksin".

Phrakru Suthepsithikun, the temple's abbot, said the merit-making rite was held to ward off bad luck for Thaksin, his family and Thailand.

Pinthongta Shinawatra, Thaksin's daughter, posted pictures and messages on her personal Instagram, saying she did not have the chance to spend time with her father on his birthday yesterday and had not met him for many months. She wished him a strong body and strong mind forever and for people who love and wait for him, including his family. She said she loved him and was proud every minute after being born his child. "Happy Birthday to our most terrific daddy."

Meanwhile, National Council for Peace and Order chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha yesterday assigned Army secretary Lt-General Sirot Thasanont to present a vase of flowers to wish Democrat Party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai on the occasion of his 76th birthday on Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Backers-mark-Thaksins-birthday-30239550.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-27

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She wished him a strong body and strong mind forever and for people who love and wait for him, including his family.

I trust the people who love and wait for him are long-suffering and resigned to a long wait.

He will never be back and personally I don't give a damn if he never gets back.

It is a little over the top tho if people don't have the freedom to wish someone happy birthday.

And a Democrat party chief gets flowers from the Junta for his birthday.

Pictures and stories?

• Like 1

She wished him a strong body and strong mind forever and for people who love and wait for him, including his family.

I trust the people who love and wait for him are long-suffering and resigned to a long wait.

It is a little over the top tho if people don't have the freedom to wish someone happy birthday.

Pictures and stories?

Really? Well that's not really fair.

Pinthongta Shinawatra, Thaksin's daughter, posted pictures and messages on her personal Instagram, saying she did not have the chance to spend time with her father on his birthday yesterday and had not met him for many months.

Sad, could he or Mum not have stumped-up, for an extra ticket ? blink.png

post-9891-0-08460700-1406432146_thumb.jpHe's cute, so is Pinthongta, the bride.

I thought Thaksin's actions in Bangkok and around Thailand in 2010 was a little "over the top", but that's just my opinion. biggrin.png

Oh that's only because the "Junta" likes the Democrats and hates the Shin regime with a passion. There's a lot of it going on, you know. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Pinthongta Shinawatra, Thaksin's daughter, posted pictures and messages on her personal Instagram, saying she did not have the chance to spend time with her father on his birthday yesterday and had not met him for many months.

Sad, could he or Mum not have stumped-up, for an extra ticket ? blink.png

attachicon.gifPin.jpgHe's cute, so is Pinthongta, the bride.

Well, for an extra two tickets, then ?

Pictures and stories?

Really? Well that's not really fair.

Certainly continues to confirm which way the independent military lean, but never a secret was it.

Anyway,happy birthday to anybody celebrating one in the coming year! (-:

Actually the Democrat party Chief Advisor at 76 got flowers.

Mind you I'm sure Gen Prayuth would also have given Thaksin flowers for his 65th birthday if only he had been in Thailand rolleyes.gif

Perhaps there will be other occasions when well wishers can send flowers? attachicon.gifflowers.jpg

No doubt you'll be expressing your RIP's and condolences when Thaksin does die? Oh, sorry, you're only sympathetic to the right kind of families

(http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/746451-high-society-woman-shot-dead-by-swiss-husband-police/#entry8157139)

Those you hate, you wish death on. Classy.

• Like 1

No doubt you'll be expressing your RIP's and condolences when Thaksin does die? Oh, sorry, you're only sympathetic to the right kind of families

(http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/746451-high-society-woman-shot-dead-by-swiss-husband-police/#entry8157139)

Those you hate, you wish death on. Classy.

Yes fabby, I would, and maybe I'd join the legions celebrating. And yes, I am sympathetic to the right kind of families.

Given that Thaksin has done very little that is right, I have no problem with my feeling or lack thereof for the man.

It was you that made the presumptive last statement. I don't hate Thaksin anymore than I hate rats., Classy eh?

So sorry, you don't hate the man, just wish to see him dead and celebrate the fact. As I said, Classy.

• Like 1

To wish happy birthday is OK, but with big pictures, various statements, etc., it seems the birthday occasion is being exploited.

absolutely 100% correct, this was a very obvious political gathering - I'm sure there were plenty of others who would have liked to display a picture of Thaksin and burn it in public but they didn't

• Like 2

A post containing content that was copy and pasted from blog sites and therefore unattributed has been removed as it was in violation of fair use policy. If you can't link to it, don't post it.

A post containing comments that can be construed as being negative about the imposition of Martial Law or the Coup has also been removed as well as the replies.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

Singthong Buachum, a legal adviser to Pheu Thai Party, said that Thaksin's admirers and red shirts who work at the department store held a merit-making ceremony and put up a big picture of Thaksin and former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to celebrate Thaksin's birthday yesterday.

I never quite understood the mechanics of merit making. Are the red shirts making merit for themselves or for Thaksin? If they make merit for themselves, why do they need Thaksin's b-day occasion? If the merit is for Thaksin, how will he get it since he is not there? Can it be transferred, or does he have to pick it up? Can he send someone to pick up the merit? Once the merit gets to France, will there be custom duties?

Any enlightenment from experienced merit makers is appreciated.

• Like 2