Cabaret Returning to Chang Puak

MMan

Word has it the cabaret show in Anusarn Night Bazaar will soon open a 2nd location where Simon Cabaret was previously. The Anusarn show will then close for about a month for renovations. Same performers will do both shows. An early show at Chang Puak where you have to buy a ticket, then a later show at Anusarn where the current policy of free admission as long as you buy drinks will be maintained.

I suspect the new location will be targeted at Chinese and other Asian tour groups, who typically don't drink alcohol. Expect to see more Chinese Tour Group buses on Chang Puak road soon!

well chiangmai caberet theatre have a grand opening date of the 19 september anyone who knows me will get free ticket the opening performance showtime will be 8pm .shows at anusan market will continue to be 9.30pm

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

if any of you have seen my cabaret in the night bazaar you know we do an assortment of songs to please everyone only on a much bigger stage with 45 performers ...

if any of you have seen my cabaret in the night bazaar you know we do an assortment of songs to please everyone only on a much bigger stage with 45 performers ...

Should appeal to international visitors - good luck

its for chinese etc the westerners will still get the free show at the night bazaar .most tickets will be sold abroad included in packages

• 2 months later...

Lazeeboy....I'm not a Chiang Mai expert at all but I have been coming to Thailand for many years so I'm not a novice either. It seems to be that many businesses don't understand that 'finding' something in Chiang Mai.....that is to say.....finding their business....is quite often impossible for some of us or such a big chore that we don't bother..

No body uses street names or numbers or gives map links (that make sense) and the finding the location of the place seems to based on a belief that you know where it is in the first place......doh!

I'd love to come to your shows but I have NO idea where the places you mention are....

Or how I get there??

• Like 1

re

I'd love to come to your shows but I have NO idea where the places you mention are

the anusarn market show is behind mc donalds and near omalys pub in the night bazzar area and starts about 9 ish

assuming they are opening up in the same place as before ?

the playhouse ... from chiang puak gate go down to the mercure hotel ( blue arrow ) and turn left !

the playhouse is behind the tops supermarket which is on the right

dave2

post-42592-0-36833000-1413340040_thumb.j

post-42592-0-75240500-1413340071_thumb.j

post-42592-0-54849100-1413340110_thumb.j

• Like 2

the playhouse ... from chiang puak gate go down to the mercure hotel ( blue arrow ) and turn left !

the playhouse is behind the tops supermarket which is on the right

dave2

Excuse me, why do you call it 'Playhouse'? Was there a show with this name before? Or was there Simon show?

And thank you for info!!

Edited by araso

Hope this production has more variety than the previous Simon Cabaret did.

Who wants to come to Thailand to see an All American Songbook show (that's what Simon was) - no wonder it closed

I only went once and had a good night. I was quite impressed with the quality. It was a show you could take the family to too.

Excuse me, why do you call it 'Playhouse'? Was there a show with this name before? Or was there Simon show?

And thank you for info!!

For years, it was the Simon Cabaret....a fancy ladyboy show quite similar to the Alcazar show down south. I'm not sure when that closed (am guessing about 2006 or so?) but it then reopened a couple of years later after some renovations as The Playhouse (which was more of a dance-and-song show). I saw the show a couple of times when it was the Simon Cabaret and we enjoyed it(lots of glitzy costumes, etc.). I and some friends attended a Saturday evening show at The Playhouse about 4 (?) years ago and we were quite impressed by the dancing and singing, costumes, etc. They had a large troupe of about 60+ dancers and singers and several of them were very talented (especially, I thought, the dude doing the Bo Jangles routine). Unfortunately, it was fairly obvious that the whole thing wouldn't last (when I and three friends attended, we were the only 4 people in the entire audience!). Somebody likely lost a lot of money on that venture.

Best of luck to whoever reopens the place; however, unless tourist numbers increase up here or whoever owns the show is a genius at marketing, it'd be my guess that it would take a miracle for the venture to be successful.

• Like 1

well chiangmai caberet theatre have a grand opening date of the 19 september anyone who knows me will get free ticket the opening performance showtime will be 8pm .shows at anusan market will continue to be 9.30pm

I have really enjoyed the show at Anusan but haven't been for some time as the routines appeared to be the same. I would certainly go back if they have changed.

And thank you for info!!

For years, it was the Simon Cabaret....a fancy ladyboy show quite similar to the Alcazar show down south. I'm not sure when that closed (am guessing about 2006 or so?) but it then reopened a couple of years later after some renovations as The Playhouse (which was more of a dance-and-song show). I saw the show a couple of times when it was the Simon Cabaret and we enjoyed it(lots of glitzy costumes, etc.). I and some friends attended a Saturday evening show at The Playhouse about 4 (?) years ago and we were quite impressed by the dancing and singing, costumes, etc. They had a large troupe of about 60+ dancers and singers and several of them were very talented (especially, I thought, the dude doing the Bo Jangles routine). Unfortunately, it was fairly obvious that the whole thing wouldn't last (when I and three friends attended, we were the only 4 people in the entire audience!). Somebody likely lost a lot of money on that venture.

Thank you very much for bringing up so many interesting facts from history of this place, So the address that I took from Playhouse is still correct for the new venue as well.

ive been doing this for 20 years in thailand 1st in samui at christys cabaret and now in chiangmai cabaret in cmx the marketing is solely focused on the asian tour tourist so u wont see too much advertising in cmx .the western tourist seem to find the cabaret in the bight bazaar around 200 everynight so we dont spend on advertising as we are full most nights but thanks all for talking about it (*_*)

re

So the address that I took from Playhouse is still correct for the new venue as well.

i would think so but dont bank on it

thais have a habit of not telling anyone exact details of anything including where it is , what time , directions to it , whats happening , the dates etc

why i dont know ... coz they could make some money off it

but you often hear of an event after its over :(

dave2

post-42592-0-13410500-1413378396_thumb.j

Best of luck to whoever reopens the place; however, unless tourist numbers increase up here or whoever owns the show is a genius at marketing, it'd be my guess that it would take a miracle for the venture to be successful.

Fortunately, tourist numbers did increase. Vastly.

And also by people who would appreciate a cabaret of this type.

Is the Cabaret Theatre show in Changpueak primarily composed of ladyboys?

We took some Japanese guests to the Anusarn Market cabaret one time. They got a kick out of it. The show was very brief - about 45 minutes as I recall. But good costumes, etc. It was entertaining.

I seem to recall the dancers were all gay men made up as women. Not the khatoeys per se. But the costumes, make up, etc. pretty good for a small scale operation. Good for a laugh if you have friends in town. Drinks were not bad either.

Is the Cabaret Theatre show in Changpueak primarily composed of ladyboys?

Since it hasn't opened yet, I'm doubtful of any of us know. When that theater was Simon Cabaret, it was all ladyboys as far as I could see; however, when it was The Playhouse, the performers were just guys and gals as far as I could see/detect. As long whoever reopens the theater presents some entertaining shows, the performers can all be martians (or, lord/Buddha forbid, Republicans!) as far as I'm concerned.