Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I hope it is not like last year when they made no announcement in December and then set the dates in January.

It shoud of been made already if it is going to be in December. Keep checking here. It will be more than likely be the first place it is posted. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=noticepost&section=notice

I started gathering past dates the other day, hoping to get a feel for what they might do this year. So far I've got:

Announced 2011-12-22

Open: 2011-12-22

Closed 2011-12-30

Reference: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/520718-applications-for-permanent-residency-open-until-30-dec/

Announced 2012-12-04

Open 2012-12-04

Closed 2012-12-31

Reference: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/603358-thai-immigration-now-accepts-applications-for-permanent-residency/

Announced 2014-12-29

Open 2015-01-14

Closed 2015-01-30

Reference: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/791896-permanent-residence-applications-now-being-accepted-14-30-january-2015/

Anyone have dates for other years, preferably with footnotes?

I am working with a lady who helps people with the PR process, has worked with other people in my company before and has contacts in CW immigration. For every document she is preparing she brings it to her contacts to check if it's ok. Finally taking full application this week there to have it reviewed. I am following her judgement.

They sneaked that one in on me. Posted only on the Bangkok immigration site.

Edit: Now in a topic here: Immigration announces details on applying for a residents permit in Thailand
Thanks to klauswernst198 for posting the info. I gave it to the news team so they could get the word out.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I have not read this thread for many months and so reading through it today some points came up which I would like to comment on from Ubon Ratchathani experience.

2 Pink ID card. At the Ubon city council offices I found out that they would not issue a new pink ID card with my new address on it. They said the one I had was for life and that there was no need to change my address on it. I argued that when Thai citizens changed their house registration they get a new citizen ID card. The reply was that the pink ID card is just that - an ID card. It does not have to match with the house registration address.

Yours is for life? When did you get it?

3 Drivers licence. A few weeks later I renewed my 5 year drivers licence. On the old licence was my Thai ID number. But on the new 5 year drivers licence they refused to put this on and put my New Zealand passport number on because this was the new regulation for all non-Thai citizens from this current government. I still think they are wrong but I couldn't be bothered wasting time to argue.

Yes, they were wrong.

My Pink ID card is for life. I got the card at the Ubon Ratchathani city council office but they did not process it. It was done in Bangkok at the Interior Ministry I believe. I applied in February 2013 and the card came through in June 2013. The people at the council offices were also surprised it was for life. It was the first Pink ID Card they had ever seen.

I just presumed all cards have to be issued from Bangkok and they are for life.

I have been a PR for many years and it was only in 2013 that I found out I could get an ID card.

I wrote above that there were over 400 people with PR in the Ubon area. I must be the only one with a Pink ID card.

The Pink card is for 10 years validity and not for Life. after 10 years you need to renew card again.

I just received my Pink ID card today. It is valid for 10 years. It took several months to get.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hello,

I wanted to know which govt hospital in bangkok city can you go and do the medical test for the family for applying the PR along with the DNA test which is mandatory. Appreciate update on this so that we could go over and do this immediately.

Thanks

Zam

I am a bit uncertain how to put together the portfolio. I am writing a word document, which is kind of like a resume of my life here in Thailand. I am attaching pictures as well. Is it ok if this part is in English language, or do I need to have it translated?

Was wondering if there are any other 'extra' fees involved. Heard from someone who was asked a rather steep amount of money to smoothen out the process, in excess of 50K but was given the option to pay or not?

Totally untrue. No fees without receipt need to be paid. Whoever told you this and offers to "help", will to put this money into his own pockets.

I have personal knowledge of 5 different applications over the years, all of which were successful. My own and 4 of my friends.

3 where the application was done personally, with assistance from wives/girlfriends/people in the applicants own place of work etc - None of these paid anything other than the official published fees.

2 where a lawyer or agent was involved - Both of these were asked for and paid extra payments, in both cases not inconsequential.

However, this experience does date back a few years I'll admit, the most recent got his PR a couple of years ago.

Draw your own conclusions. smile.png

• Like 1

Heard from a friend who submitted PR application pack recently. No queue for PR at all. The lady reviewing documentation asked rather complicated questions in Thai which my friend could not follow all. She spoke almost no English. Took about 20 min. then finger printing. After that another lady said to his friend's Thai friend who was with him, that his Thai was quite bad.Paid official 7K THB application fee. After that got his passport back with stamp mentioning PR process and that was it. Some small updates to documents required (3) nothing major to be delivered by end Feb. No portfolio submitted nor required. Asked to expect letter/call for Interview date. No extra "transactions" requested.

Another friend submitted earlier and went with someone who helped with documentation (as a freelance job) and was asked a steep extra amount due to insufficient Thai level, which he negotiated down to about half initial amount.

Anyone has heard similar experience from this year submission ?

Does anyone know how many people apply per year from UK, Swedish, German or Italian nationalities? Do they have more applications than the 100 per nationality limit?

Heard from a friend who submitted PR application pack recently. No queue for PR at all. The lady reviewing documentation asked rather complicated questions in Thai which my friend could not follow all. She spoke almost no English. Took about 20 min. then finger printing. After that another lady said to his friend's Thai friend who was with him, that his Thai was quite bad.Paid official 7K THB application fee. After that got his passport back with stamp mentioning PR process and that was it. Some small updates to documents required (3) nothing major to be delivered by end Feb. No portfolio submitted nor required. Asked to expect letter/call for Interview date. No extra "transactions" requested.

Another friend submitted earlier and went with someone who helped with documentation (as a freelance job) and was asked a steep extra amount due to insufficient Thai level, which he negotiated down to about half initial amount.

Does anyone know how many people apply per year from UK, Swedish, German or Italian nationalities? Do they have more applications than the 100 per nationality limit?

More and more people are deciding against applying for PR, due to the limited benefits one receive and doesn't worth the money and effort, since direct route to thai citizenship is now available for males married to thais. The only benefits which you receive with PR is a lifetime visa and a path to thai citizenship. If you are interested in neither, then it's absolutely useless to waste that kinda money.

PS. Don't bash me, I am a PR holder and speaking from experience. I wanna apply for thai citizenship and not married to a thai so no way for me other than PR thus I applied and got it after 4 long years of wait. And still, I need to wait 5 more years to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

• Like 1

As far as I know, only Chinese and Indians had more than 100 applications in the past. When I applied, there were 5 German applicants.

More and more people are deciding against applying for PR, due to the limited benefits one receive and doesn't worth the money and effort, since direct route to thai citizenship is now available for males married to thais. The only benefits which you receive with PR is a lifetime visa and a path to thai citizenship. If you are interested in neither, then it's absolutely useless to waste that kinda money.

PS. Don't bash me, I am a PR holder and speaking from experience. I wanna apply for thai citizenship and not married to a thai so no way for me other than PR thus I applied and got it after 4 long years of wait. And still, I need to wait 5 more years to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Thanks for your opinion, but where did you get this statistic that "more and more people are deciding against applying for PR"? I know quite a number of people who are happy with the PR so they can stay in the country for sure even if they divorce (if on marriage visa), lose their job (if on business visa), or the regulations about retirement visa are changed (which could happen at any time). People who have no interest in applying for Thai citizenship.

Also, it is not correct to say that "males married to thais" can get citizenship without PR. It is only true for males married to Thai females.

Leaving aside whether you like PR or not or whether it is in decline or not, it seems no stats are published or just nobody knows..

What about the famous Thai language interview, any idea what they ask and tips and tactics for someone who is quite comfortable with Taxi and restaurant Thai as well as basic Q& A but hopelessly lost when the PR lady asked questions about the application documents in her native language.

Are there tricks to steer the interview to topics that one is more familiar than others? What level of fluency is expected to pass? How much does the interview weigh in the overall decision process? Appreciate any experience sharing particularly from recent promotions.

Leaving aside whether you like PR or not or whether it is in decline or not, it seems no stats are published or just nobody knows..

What about the famous Thai language interview, any idea what they ask and tips and tactics for someone who is quite comfortable with Taxi and restaurant Thai as well as basic Q& A but hopelessly lost when the PR lady asked questions about the application documents in her native language.

Are there tricks to steer the interview to topics that one is more familiar than others? What level of fluency is expected to pass? How much does the interview weigh in the overall decision process? Appreciate any experience sharing particularly from recent promotions.

I my case, "taxi and restaurant Thai" would have been sufficient. Questions were on a sheet of paper, so no way to steer the interview, and they were multiple choice.

One example question I remember: What is the capital of Thailand: a.) Chiang Mai, b.) Ayutthaya, c.) Bangkok.

I used a lawyer, no extra "fees" were ever requested for or paid by me. All money given was by the book and fully receipted by government officials. I have two other friends who got their PR and no extra fees were paid by them either.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I went there today, and handed over documents, paid the application fee. Applied under work/business. I am owner of my own biz.

Casual talk with the officers. They were friendly. All conversation in Thai. Not sure they were able to speak any English at all.

My score might be a bit low, as I did a mistake with forgetting RE-ENTRY three years back - they count from your last visa, not for how long your business has been running.

Things they didn't care about:

- My personal portfolio (waste of time)

- Bank statements (didnt even have a glance)

- Resume. Think they were put off by eng lang.

Things they DO care about

- Company and personal tax records

- Labor records

- Education (Master or higher is preferred) - needs to be translated

- Police report from your country of origin - needs to be translated.

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I got a deadline to hand in missing documents in March.

My passport was stamped with "PR Under consideration". They told me there will be a interview after they have received all documents. If I were approved, they said that receiving the actual "PR Book" could take years.. Whatever that means...

Its been more than 4 months since I got my PR certificate and I still have not received mine yet. (I applied right away)

For some reason Chiang Mai is being very cautious about issuing them as they haven't done them in many years. (many letters back and forth between immigration) In any case I was able to leave the country a few months ago without a problem using my PR. I did have a yellow book that I used when getting a re-entry certificate. (They are not required but for some reason Chiang Mai immigration insisted on a copy)

At one time I asked the local district if they were not required by law to issue the blue house registration within 15 days as stipulated by immigration. However they were adamant that they were not subject to such a requirement.

So in short as soon as you receive the PR book it becomes valid, however you cannot leave the country until you have a Red police book. I don't think you need to be concerned about the blue house registration book unless you don't have a yellow book and your immigration office insists on one to get a re-entry certificate. (could always do it in bkk, I don't think it is a requirement there)

After you get the "PR Book", do you still need a RE-ENTRY permit when you leave the country ??